LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Do I need to test KPU before treating?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do I need to test KPU before treating?
jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlp38     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know I'm low on zinc, always have been -- based on zinc taste test (where you take a swig of zinc and see if it tastes metallic or not). I have had the white spots on my fingernails. They're gone now, but I think only because my nails are cut short. Plus, my lead levels are off the chart. So my question is, do I even need to test KPU/HPU? Or can I just go ahead and treat assuming I have it?
Posts: 707 | From Colorado | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhitneyS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhitneyS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would. I was low in zinc too, and spots and i tested and it was negative. I'm glad I didn't go through all the hassel of treating when there are so many othter htings I have to treat. Don't waste your time, unless you have to. I dont think the test is expensive.
Posts: 844 | From CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I disagree with Whitney... treating heavy metals is necessary and definitely not a waste of time!

My son and I have been treating KPU since December of last year... we use page 18 of this document
http://www.klinghardtacademy.com/images/stories/powerpoints/hpu%202009.pdf
as a base, starting point and we have a woman who helps us with muscle testing.

I felt the white marks on the fingernails and high mercury and lead in a hair test was enough evidence to treat.

My son's pediatrician did some of the lab tests suggested on page 7 of that same document. They all came out pointing at KPU as an issue.

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're zinc deficient, taking zinc just makes sense. The other things in the KPU are manganese and B6. I took Depyrrol. It's not as high dose as some, so I didn't feel that I needed the testing. I've since stopped muscle testing well for it, but I needed it quite a long time, over a year.

If you're thinking of a higher dose, yeah, I'd test and have a doctor's supervision.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhitneyS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhitneyS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Umm im confused. I didn't say anything about heavy metals at all...?? I commented on testing for KPU before you treated for it. I think it can save you time, if you DO NOT have it. You can not have KPU and still have Heavy Metals, they are very different things.

I'm glad I did test, because I do not have it, and therefore the treatment for 12+ months would have been unnecessary, and I already have plenty of other things to treat.

Posts: 844 | From CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlp38     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If my understanding is correct, treating KPU will also treat heavy metals. Maybe thats where the confusion.

So yes I obviously should be supplementing zinc on a more regular basis. So I guess the question is whether to bother with the other minerals, etc. that are recommended. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt me to do those as well. Now that I'm typing this out, it almost sounds silly. I don't think any of these sups will hurt me. I really need to learn to muscle test. How in the world do you muscle test yourself?

Does anyone do IV chelation and take zinc at the same time? I've done some IV EDTA and have been thinking I need to finish that up. My doc supplements me with a bunch of vitamins and magnesium after the IV but no zinc. It seems like if the EDTA pulls lead out, that I would want to be replacing that lead with zinc.

Thanks for all of you input. I'm one of those who is helped tons just by talking out my decisions.

Posts: 707 | From Colorado | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://planetthrive.com/2010/04/hpukpu-protocol-for-lyme-and-autism/

To get an understanding of the wide-reaching effects of KPU aka HPU, take the time and listen to this video by Dr. K. Scroll down to the video.

more info www.hpu.de (get the English version)with a quizz to give you an idea. Adding zinc only does not take care of KPU aka HPU. The supporting elements are very much involved to help the body to detox.
A metal toxic body cannot heal. Pathogens love it.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KPU is a zinc deficiency due to systemic heavy metal poisoning. There is much more to it than that... but that's the boiled down version.

Doing the KPU protocol reduces the heavy metals in your system. It has worked well for my son and I. We did hair testing before and 14 weeks into KPU treatment and we are both lowering our mercury and lead and our essential elements are in the normal range.

If you supplement with zinc and you don't supplement with the other vitamins and minerals you can do more harm than good.

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

I get that KPU is a big deal, although I can never access that video. Maybe it's cuz I'm on my iPad. I'll have to drag out the laptop and see if I can access it.

I guess I was mainly trying to figure out if it would be ok to treat without bothering to test for it. I think I will go ahead and do it based on the high heavy metals, the low zinc levels and the white spots on the fingernails. If by chance I don't have it, I probably won't be hurting myself by treating anyway.

Thanks all for your input!

momlyme
Member # 27775

jlp38 - yes, you can treat KPU without doing the test. Dr. K says in that video that if you have the white lines on your fingernails you can skip the testing because you have the zinc deficiency. (paraphrased)

--------------------
May health be with you!

ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many people who have taken or are taking supplements for KPU say that it should only be done with the help of an LLMD or a doctor with experience of treating heavy metals.
Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

Ya I know. But, as with many things, I don't really have a doc familiar with KPU. I am doing IV EDTA with a non LLDO, so hopefully doing all this together will help. Im also doing some IV C (which I really really need ), as well as other IV nutrients, some hydrogen peroxide and some ozone. I'm also doing long weekly saunas so I think I've got enough detox stuff in place to handle it.

My LLMD had me on so much stuff I just couldn't handle it. I'm hoping if I get the metals down and KPU in line I can be strong enough to do some real killing stuff.

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might check how much zinc is in your IV nutrients before you start supplementing more. I did the KPU protocol without doctor supervision, BUT I never took the high doses of zinc. I always stayed within what the FDA (not that I trust them) considers safe.

It's a tough protocol, be ready for it. It's not just metals, after that the immune system kicks in and starts the battle with some of these bugs.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

He doesn't put any zinc in, which makes no sense to me. Good point though. I'm gonna double check that with him and make sure I'm not doubling up.
jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

So I think I figured out why my doc doesn't put zinc in my IVs. I'm pretty sure the EDTA would interfere with it and just pull it out. So I will have to ask him how far apart I need to take the minerals from the EDTA IV.
MattH
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MattH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Six,

How long were you on the protocol and how long before you started to Herx? I started to Herx for two days last week (worst so far) and thought it was the parasite cleanse and Buhner herbs (full protocol).

I was doing the KPU at the same time. Getting ready for the ABX that I start this weekend. I recently added more binders and that seemed to help but I did not think it was the KPU herx. This makes sense though.

All the Best, MattH

Posts: 607 | From Houston Texas | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm assuming everyone doing KPU ramps up slowly with the minerals?
Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Member # 15917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane2904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Six, how much zinc did you take?
Posts: 1357 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement