LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Again...b12 injection causes problems.....what is going on?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Again...b12 injection causes problems.....what is going on?
pme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31621

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Posted last month about feeling badly after b12 infection. Didn't seem like many people had expereienced the same thing.

Chalked it up to coincidence.....but just got another injection and again I feel foggy, irritable, and confused. Last month I was feeling good when I went in to the docs and felt worse after (after the b12 injection). Haven't really recovered since though.

She tried it again today and the same thing...foggy, dizzy cranky irritable confused a few hours after the injection.

I seriously doubt it coincidence and now I am a little scared. Anyone experience this or know why it would not only not help, but also make me feel worse?

Thanks

--------------------
Tick bite in 2006, bullseye rash, treated with 2 rounds of 2 weeks of doxy. (once in 2006, once in 2009)
Dx with chronic Lyme May 2011.
LLMD April 2012, Treating with omnicef/zith
Lots of supplements!

Posts: 640 | From Connecticut | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could be a preservative in the b12 that you are reacting to. If it makes you feel worse, than it might be a very good idea to discontinue it, in case you are having an allergic reaction, or side effect.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What form of Vitamin B12 is being injected? If it is cyanocobolamin, some people are sensitive to the cyano- part of the B12. There are other forms. You might ask about getting hydroxocobolamin or methylcobolamin and seeing if those forms work better for you.

Also, have you tried oral or nasal B12?

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31621

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really didn't know that there were different forms. She has me on oral B12 active, not sure how potent that is compared to the injections.

I was sooooo hoping for something to give me energy or at least make me feel a little better. So disappointed it didn't.

I will definitely mention that it was not a coincidence last month...as today I felt badly too.

I have not heard of nasal b12.

I am sure you are right about preservatives. I know that chemicals give me headaches etc. I do really badly on artificial sweeteners (can't stand them) and am very sensitive to perfumes etc. I am sure there is something to the additives in the injection.

Thank you for your input. It is truly appreciated.

--------------------
Tick bite in 2006, bullseye rash, treated with 2 rounds of 2 weeks of doxy. (once in 2006, once in 2009)
Lots of supplements!

Posts: 640 | From Connecticut | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31621

I really didn't know that there were different forms. She has me on oral B12 active, not sure how potent that is compared to the injections.

I was sooooo hoping for something to give me energy or at least make me feel a little better. So disappointed it didn't.

I will definitely mention that it was not a coincidence last month...as today I felt badly too.

I have not heard of nasal b12.

I am sure you are right about preservatives. I know that chemicals give me headaches etc. I do really badly on artificial sweeteners (can't stand them) and am very sensitive to perfumes etc. I am sure there is something to the additives in the injection.

Thank you for your input. It is truly appreciated.

--------------------
Lots of supplements!

scorpiogirl
Member # 31907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scorpiogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I have had 5 injections total and this week I'm feeling much more tired! I don't know if it's from the B 12 injections (mine are hydroxocobolamin) or if it's from my over doing it last week. I spent the week volunteering in the kitchen at Vacation Bible School and was on my feet working 5 hours a day 5 days a week, then we took the kids shopping, movies, swimming, etc... Something I have not done in YEARS! I'll give it another week and see if this fatigue let up or I'm going to have to think the B12 is the culprit! I have not start anything else besides this so nothing has changed in my routine. I was expect a burst of energy but instead I'm dragging butt. [Frown]

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1391 | From Lyme Land | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dogmom2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dogmom2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried 1 B12 shot and it made me irritable and made the area near the injection tingly. So I didn't try again.
Posts: 857 | From northern california | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31621

dogmom
Yes, that is how I feel as well. The injection area didn't really bother me. Glad to know I am not the only one.

--------------------
Lots of supplements!

Bugg
Member # 8095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bugg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PME-

Do you know if you were low in B12 before starting the injections? Do you know if you're low in folic acid as well? Have you seen the long thread I recently posted in Medical all about B12 and folic acid? In that thread it tells you that many people who have been deficient in B12 will often feel worse when initiating therapy...increase in brain fog...dizziness....nerve pain....

If you cannot tolerate the B12 injections, you may try methylcobalamin sublinguals on a daily basis to raise your levels...Recent studies have shown these can be as effective as B12 shots....

Yes, I agree with the posters about as well that you might want to determine if you're having allergic reactions to it....

Posts: 1155 | From Southeast | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You probably cannot tolerate Methyl and the others -

I have the same problem, some people cannot metabolize them.

You need hydroxy B 12 shots every day and you will feel great.
It is a complicated process in your liver, you do not need to understand -
just use hydroxy.

You also cannot take regular folate. Pm if you want to take folate.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sk8ter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sk8ter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perque makes a hydroxy sublinqual.
Posts: 871 | From orange county, ca. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31621

Bugg.....I am very interested in your post. I will look for it and read it! Sounds like me.

Thank you everyone. I feel better than I have in a while today but I will not try another injection

--------------------
Lots of supplements!

Bugg
Member # 8095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bugg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the B12 thread I started recently...Please, please don't overlook how important it can be to your nervous system...

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=109279;p=0

Posts: 1155 | From Southeast | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement