LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Could taking epsom salt baths in softened water be a bad thing?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Could taking epsom salt baths in softened water be a bad thing?
JJ29
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5288

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JJ29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a water softner and I don't have a filter on my shower or bath......I know we should definitely look into installing these.

I'm trying to take epsom salt baths a couple of times a week.... wondering if soaking in a tub with water softened with sodium chloride would have any adverse effects.....especially since if I have low thyroid and nodule issues?

Anyone have any thoughts about this.... and also can recommend a filter that we can easily install on the showerhead and tbu faucet?

Thank you all for your help.

Posts: 574 | From New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can't filter out sodium chloride unless you use reverse osmosis, which isn't practical on a shower.

If you are concerned about the sodium content, you could just soften your water with potassium instead of sodium. I do that.

But I take epsom salt baths in non-filtered softened well water, and I never thought a thing about it.

If someone else has some more info, I'd love to learn it as well.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Drop some ascorbic acid in your baths.

I think can neutralize the chlorine at least.
: )

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JJ29
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5288

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JJ29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
James i never thought about it either until my hypothyroid issues surfaced recently and I started to do some research about iodine deficiency etc......I'm not sure if I'm way off base about this, but I appreciate your suggestion about using potassium instead of sodium.

Canefan, thanks for your suggestion about using ascorbic acid to neutralize the chlorine.....how much do you think I should use and do you think it might also neutralize the effect of the epsom salts?

Posts: 574 | From New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JJ, are you sure you have chlorine in your water?

Most people who have water softeners are using well water. Usually only city tap water is chlorinated. So unless you are chlorinating the water yourself, it really shouldn't be an issue. If you ARE chlorinating your water, then you might be able to just turn off the chlorinator. Of course you should discern whether or not the chlorinator is necessary...

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JJ29:

Anyone have any thoughts about this.... and also can recommend a filter that we can easily install on the showerhead and tbu faucet?

BetterHealthGuy.com has comparisons of shower filters.

Shower, Water, and Air Filtration
http://betterhealthguy.com/joomla/products/filters

Shower filters
http://www.costpluswater.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=24

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by James1979:
JJ, are you sure you have chlorine in your water?

Most people who have water softeners are using well water.

We are not on a well and have a water softener. Our city has TERRIBLE water that is very hard and builds up sediment on everything if you don't have a softener.

I don't think it's uncommon at all to have a softener with city water.

But you are right, well water is very hard, too. We also had one when we lived in the country and had a well.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JJ29
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5288

James, I'm going to have to check with my town's water department to find out how much chlorine is in the water....thank you for bringing this up....I was originally referring to the sodium chloride that we use for the water softner.

Six, thanks for your explanation.....we have a water softner for the same reason you described.

carol, thanks for the links I will check them out.

Anyone else have any other opinions?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement