LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone have high B-12 and low iron?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone have high B-12 and low iron?
JJ29
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5288

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JJ29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My B-12 level is 1514 High (range is 211-246) (Labcorp) .

I'm wondering if this is accurate.....I'm very concerned about the possible implications of this.

I have asked doctors and llmd's about this in the past and they did not seem concerned about it.....now that I am doing my own research about what this can mean, I am alarmed!!

Please tell me what the best way to test B-12 levels is?

I also have low iron :
Iron & TIBC:
Iron Bind. Cap.- 360 (range 250-450)
UIBC - 312 (150-375)
Iron, Serum 48 (35-155)
Iron Saturation 13 Low (15-55)
Ferritin Serum- 30- (13-150

Don't know if or how the low iron is linked to the B12 level but would appreciate any thoughts or advice.

Should I test for vitamin absorption issues and if so what test is best?

Thank you!

Posts: 574 | From New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hambone
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 29535

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hambone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have high B12 ( over 1,000 ) and low iron.

My ferritin was as low as zero. Now it hovers around 10 on a good day.

I've never heard what implications there may be.

Posts: 1142 | From South | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the same problem. I don't know what it means though.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JJ29
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5288

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JJ29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hambone, there are different reasons why one may have high B-12 levels and /or low iron, and with lyme in the mix, the issue becomes even more complicated.

I googled high B-12 and found that it could possibly be linked to liver issues, anemia , and a form of leukemia....but it could also be due to the fact the body is not able to absorb the nutrient (due to methylation issues).....I wish I had not looked for the information because now I'm worried......sometimes the less you know the better off you are.

What has your doctor discussed that might be possible causes for your levels? Did he ask you to do any special tests of any kind?

What are you taking to bring up your iron levels?

Posts: 574 | From New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hambone
Member # 29535

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hambone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He ( my pcp, not LLMD ) didn't think high B12 was an issue. He thought it was "great".

I had a uMMA and homocysteine test that were perfect.

Coincidentally, I am getting the MTHFR test done this week for something else ( from my LLMD ). Does that look for methylation issues?

I take Floradix and Bifera for iron. I tested well for these with ART testing.

Posts: 1142 | From South | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JJ29
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5288

Mindy, how long have you had this issue and how are you addressing it? Do you have any symptoms like fatigue?

What does your llmd think about it? Would be interested to hear his/her point of view on this.

Hambone, I'm not surprised that your PCP didn't think high B-12 is an issue.....that's the reaction I got from most of my doctors.

I'm glad that your uMMA and homocysteine were ok.....I think(not totally sure...I hope someone else can comment on this) I read that this is a more accurate way to see whether or not you're B-12 deficient.

Sorry,Hambone, I'm not familiar with MTHFR. Is this a blood or urine test? Why is your llmd asking you to do this?

My llmd's PA has recommended floradix for iron but haven't heard about Bifera.....what is it?

It's great that you are using ART to guide your treatment .....Does your llmd do it?

timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you taking any supplements with B12 in them within 48 hours of your blood draw? If so, don't do this (same for iron). Then you will get a more accurate reading for B12 and iron.

With regard to your iron status, you may want to talk with your doctor about iron supplementation. I was very anemic (low Hgb, low Hct, ferritin 5 ng/mL and other iron indices askew) but with lots of iron supplementation (and eventually a uterine ablation) my iron indices normalized. I still take iron supplements 4 days a week.

Best, Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JJ29
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5288

Timaca, you make a very good point, I didn't think of stopping supplements prior to blood draw.....my lyme brain is not working very well these days.

I discussed iron supplementation with llmd's PA,.... he said I should do a gastro workup, endoscopy/colonoscopy first before we move on supplementation.

Glad to hear your iron level has normalized......sorry you had to go through the uterine ablation......do you think lyme and co's may have played a part in this situation?

timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi JJ~
Gee, scopes don't seem to be needed unless you are having GI issues. One way to see if you are absorbing iron is to go in for a fasting blood draw and do serum iron. Take an iron tablet then an hour later draw more blood and see if the serum iron went up. If it did, then you are absorbing iron. For me, we did that so we knew I was absorbing iron. And I knew I was losing a lot of blood through my menses. We even documented that with lab work (Hct and Hgb drawn before and after my menses---the doctors could see how much it dropped after my menses. They were shocked.)

I tried taking over 200 mg of elemental iron a day (that's a lot of iron) and we checked my iron indices every month and still nothing improved. So, I had an ablation and several months later my iron indices normalized. I was very iron deficient.

I have no idea if my chronic viral and bacterial infections played a role in my heavy menses or not. What was interesting is there was active HHV-6 infection in my uterine tissue that disappeared after valcyte treatment. So, we know HHV-6 was in the tissue. Whether or not it caused the heavy menses....who know?

Best, Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JJ29
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5288

Thanks Timaca for sharing your expereince with low iron and the advice on how to test for iron absorption.

Yeah, I'm bummed out about the gastro workup (but Im due for colonoscopy since last one was 3 years ago)...... I guess they are being cautious since I'm older and colon issues may be related to low iron......they will also be doing more labwork for hct and hgb etc.

I'm really worried about the possible implications of the low iron and high B-12.

JJ29
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5288

Timaca, you make a very good point, I didn't think of stopping supplements prior to blood draw.....my lyme brain is not working very well these days.

I discussed iron supplementation with llmd's PA,.... he said I should do a gastro workup, endoscopy/colonoscopy first before we move on supplementation.

Glad to hear your iron level has normalized......sorry you had to go through the uterine ablation......do you think lyme and co's may have played a part in this situation?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement