LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lyme Bullseye on IBM Television Commercial

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lyme Bullseye on IBM Television Commercial
groovy2
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All-

Today I was watching the national news and I saw a IBM television commercial about there new Watson
computer system that is going to help doctors
diagnose peoples Hard to figure out health problems--

The commercial showed a picture Perfect Lyme bullseye rash and then showed a picture of a Tick right next to it-- Showing Problem Solved --

I figured you all would like to know about this-
--Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like they say, it's smarter than a person!! [Big Grin]

esp smarter than most doctors!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this is scary, and will only be used to give more power to the insurance companies so that they can further deny coverage.

Look at this quote:
quote:
The program, which is scheduled to roll out next year, will begin by assisting nurses who manage complex patient cases. It will help the insurer to review treatment requests from medical providers.

Stage two will put the technology out in the field to a limited number of oncology practices. There, the system�s ability to process 200 million pages of data in three seconds will allow doctors to ask questions, input symptoms, and compare reactions to treatments to streamline the process. The goal is to improve quality of care with cost-savings as the natural byproduct.

�There are breathtaking advances in medical science and clinical knowledge, however; this clinical information is not always used in the care of patients,� said Sam Nussbaum, M.D., WellPoint�s Chief Medical Officer. �Imagine having the ability to take in all the information around a patient�s medical care � symptoms, findings, patient interviews and diagnostic studies. Then, imagine using Watson analytic capabilities to consider all of the prior cases, the state-of-the-art clinical knowledge in the medical literature and clinical best practices to help a physician advance a diagnosis and guide a course of treatment.

�We believe this will be an invaluable resource for our partnering physicians and will dramatically enhance the quality and effectiveness of medical care they deliver to our members.�[/qb]

http://www.techi.com/2011/09/jeopardy-winning-computer-watson-hired-to-offer-medical-advice-to-doctors/

This is very frightening.

For example, take the example they showed of the bull's eye and the tick next to it. If over 50% of Lyme patients never get the bull's eye, and if Watson follows the IDSA guidelines (which it definitely would, since it's in the hands of the insurance companies), then Watson will insist that the patient doesn't have Lyme disease.

Likewise, even if the patient has the bull's eye, it will suggest 2-4 weeks of abx. If the patient returns, it'll suggest that the patient has psychological problems.

How is this good? How is this revolutionary? I don't like it.

If you think about it - it's very ironic that they used the example of the EM "bull's eye" rash with the tick next to it. What about those people (like myself) who never got the rash?

Furthermore, they will require that the computers know EVERYTHING about us. I can't imagine anyone here would feel comfortable with that.

Just my opinions.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

I forgot to mention: I bold-faced the "oncology" sentence above to point out how corrupt the system will be. The entire field of oncology is a joke. They will program the system to suggest that everyone needs the "Big 3", or Surgery, Chemo, and Radiation (cut, poison, and burn).

If it were a TRUE intelligent computer, it would be suggesting things like: "This patient needs to drastically change his diet. He has to quit smoking. He should be taking more vitamin C, and his D levels are also low... He should eliminate FDA-approved artificial ingredients from his diet." etc.

ralphi
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33834

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ralphi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with James. Watson will probably narrow the accepted treatment options even further, for any disease.

Also, it depersonalizes the patient even more; forget individualized treatment altogether.

I can see where it COULD be useful as a research tool (like a medical version of Google), but nothing can possibly take the place of caring for the person AS a person.

Posts: 330 | From TN | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're right, James. My "joke" was that so many doctors don't even recognize a bullseye as being Lyme. They go with "spider bite" all too often.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree. Garbage in, garbage out is the old rule about computers.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UP
Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gmb
Unregistered

On the Sunday am show "Meet the Press" I saw one of the IBM medical comercials too, and not paying too close attention saw a small list of text with "Lyme Disease" at the top of the list near the end of the 30 second spot. The comercial was not repeated for rest of show.

I'll try to pay closer attention next Sunday.

gmb

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement