LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Gross..yuk....how to you drink nystatin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gross..yuk....how to you drink nystatin
Dogsandcats
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With no sugar....nystatin powder plain.

I put water in a cup, drank half down, and would have preferred drinking water out of a bus station toilet.

Instructions from pharmacy said 1/2 tsp. What could possibly hide this hideous powder that doesn't have sugar?

Thanks
[toilet]

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Powder? You may need to mix it in something like pudding or greek yogurt. That may work well because it is thick enough to carry the medicine and it has flavor to hide the nasty medicine taste.
Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I don't intend to discount Sammy's suggestion. But this is just what comes to my mind.

I'm sorry to say that I think it's best not to add to any foods or liquid other than water so that it can do its very best to be a good medicine for you.

For little kids it may be okay to put into certain foods but - if at all possible - straight, swish in mouth and don't drink anything for at least a few minutes.

Now, if you don't have candida in your mouth, you could rinse quickly after swallowing. But most people who have been prescribed the powder need the solution to coat their mouth, throat, esophagus.

There may be something like a drop of lemon or lime, but you'd need to check to see if that would change anything about this medicine. If it even changes the pH, it could minimize the effectiveness.

If you add any foods, the impact would also be lessened.

But, if you can stand it in your mouth for a few minutes, I'd sure be drinking down a tall glass of water and then some green tea for flavor.

There may be others (or sites) that detail what kinds of things might be able to be used but if they suggest these only to mask the "taste effect" they may not be taking into consideration if that could affect the Rx strength.

I would think you'd surely not want anything with a milk or fat base - could it break through the fats or sugars or would they coat the Rx and make it unavailable to your tissue?

Or would fat help it last longer and work better?

Would sugar negate nystatin - or would it actually "tease out" the yeast so that Nystatin could clobber it? Would the sugar then all be taken up by nystantin - or would any left behind to feed yeast?

Nystatin could be wasted if taken with yogurt as it may have to work hard to kill the active yogurt cultures and then not be strong enough for the yeast in your mouth.

I would ask your LLMD about adding some stevia as that is antifungal and seems rather neutral & clean. I don't think the anti-microbial nature of stevia would fight with that of nystatin but it's a question to consider.

All this is just what comes to my mind or my instinct.

Good luck.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://books.google.com/books?id=wcJLHLrhka0C&pg=PA46&lpg=PA46&dq=best+way+to+talk+Nystatin+powder&source=bl&ots=2N5vswwx2q&sig=A0_Z6sy1ZZoRGVS9aPkkbIxcQYM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=cxL9TreHK4 GciQLAo5WVDQ&ved=0CEYQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=best%20way%20to%20talk%20Nystatin%20powder&f=false

The Yeast Connection - by William Crook

Google Books - Search: Nystatin

You can read here from one of the top experts. Several pages that you can scroll.

It's suggested to even skip the water and just add the powder to your mouth.

No mention of adding anything at all, and the reasons for that seem to be to really be able to reach the tissue of the mouth, throat and esophagus - and then different methods to better get to the colon.

Be sure to keep this in the fridge.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good thoughts Keebler.

Maybe you should ask your pharmacist?

If you can't stomach the powder then you might consider asking your doctor to switch you to a different medicine. Or try the Nystatin liquid.

I've used the Nystatin liquid before. It tastes OK. You swish it around in your mouth for a few minutes then swallow. It does have a small amount of sugar in it but I was told that it was not enough to cause a problem. Guess that depends on how sensitive to sugar you may be.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never tried that one. Heard it was horrible. Been using tablets for years.

Nystatin liquid contains sugar... steer clear.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have used the liquid before and had no problem.

This gave me a nauseated tummy and a headache.

Thanks for your suggestions...something has to work.

WOOF WOOF !!!!!

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ask for the tablets next time!! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back when I used nystatin, I got it from a compounding pharmacy that added stevia for sweetener, but no flavoring. I found it to be one of the more delicious tasting things I have taken as a drug/herbal.
Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

I have some stevia, maybe I can try that. Thanks Michael.

I know I need this stuff, but don't want to feel sicker taking it.

--------------------

Billy Graham

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Olive Leaf Extract may get you out of needing nystatin. OLE was a fabulous help for me. You can also open up a capsule in your mouth. It just tastes like a bit of "green" - which it is.

OLE offers nutrients not available from nystatin - and has a variety of properties beside being anti-fungal.
--------------

Seagate is the best OLE, in my book. It's from trees near San Diego and processed in a very particular manner.

http://www.seagateproducts.com/olive-leaf-extract.html

Seagate Olive Leaf Extract

-------------------------

http://www.seagateproducts.com/ss-images/townsend-letter-may.pdf

Townsend Letter, May 2001

Olive Leaf Extract - Five-page article

-------------------------

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Olive%2BLeaf%2Bextract

PubMed Search:

Olive+Leaf+Extract - 48 abstracts
-

Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

I realized I have truvia. Tried it. Tasted ok. Now I just have miserable nausea....

Whine whine whine...

--------------------

Billy Graham

MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another good one is CandiBactin BR from Metagenics
Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

I found some sugar free boysenberry jelly made with xylitol.

Will try that until I hear back from doc

I admit I am a wuss when it comes to food and taste

--------------------

Billy Graham

skies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MichaelTampa:
Back when I used nystatin, I got it from a compounding pharmacy that added stevia for sweetener, but no flavoring. I found it to be one of the more delicious tasting things I have taken as a drug/herbal.

Ditto. Liquid nystatin CAN be sugar free. The compounding pharmacy that I used added Stevia, and it really didn't taste too bad.

--------------------
"The simple things can get you through the hardest times."  -

Posts: 628 | From Connecticut | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Same here Dogsandcats.

I generally avoid liquid medicines if at all possible because of bad taste and weird texture. They often make me gag and I have a terrible time forcing myself to take them.

Life+Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Life+Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got mine compounded at a pharmacy, and they used Splenda.

--------------------
You name it, I've got it.
Full-time medical anomaly.

Posts: 432 | From Southeast | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Life+Lyme,

You might want to be aware that there is some concern about Splenda, too.

It may not as bad as aspartame but, still, stevia (from plants) is best. Truvia is not pure stevia, either, it's gone through some processing and has additives.

===============================

http://www.naturalnews.com/020550.html

Interview with Dr. Russell Blaylock on devastating health effects of MSG, aspartame and excitotoxins

- by Mike Adams - 2006

Excerpt:

Mike: What about other popular chemical sweeteners like sucralose in Splenda?

Dr. Blaylock:

There's really not a lot of research in those areas.

They have some basic research, like with Splenda, showing thalamus suppression.

If that holds up in other research, it's a major concern. If you're suppressing the thalamus gland in a child, that's the future of their immune function.

You can increase everything from autoimmunity to producing immune-related diseases, to infections and cancers. The implications of thalamus gland suppression are enormous.

There have been reports of miscarriages associated with Splenda in experimental animals.

The problem is, we don't have a lot of well-conducted studies on Splenda to ferret these things out, and they're not going to do them....

-----------------
That article is from 2006. There are more recent items from a search at Google for:

Splenda, Blaylock
-

Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

What about xylitol? Just bought some of that.

I think my various consumptions have caused middle of the night belly despair.

Guess the labels do mean something.

Only so many times you can blame the dog......

--------------------

Billy Graham

ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People seem to be split about xylitol and candida, but several normally trustworthy sources say that it is good to take because it attracts the candida and then kills it.

Similarly, it is supposed to have an anti-biofilm action and especially in the mouth.

Just avoid large amounts of it, as it can cause loose stools [to put it politely].

Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lala
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started nystatin tabs yesterday and I too have headache and nauseated tummy. Is it sign that yeast dies or is it just side effect? It would be difficult to live with this.
Posts: 125 | From eu | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Too late UK, I went with all sorts of ideas yesterday....

It just isn't something I will do again...soon, anyway.

--------------------

Billy Graham

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Lala.. most patients work their way up on the tablets. I started with 2 a day .. one in a.m. and one in p.m.

Then go to 4 a day and up... whatever your doctor tells you.

I take 8 a day with no trouble.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lala
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanx Lymetutu, I am on 3 tabs daily. That is what my doctor recommended.
Posts: 125 | From eu | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement