LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What can pregnant people take/do for nausea?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What can pregnant people take/do for nausea?
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey friends,

My sister, not me, is miserable. She's newly pregnant and has been terribly nauseous (all through the holidays). She doesn't know what to do or take to help relieve it. I don't know what to tell her as I've never gone through this myself.

She's tried munching on soda crackers and sipping on ginger ale, that helps some sometimes. Not enough to really get her through work. (I got an email full of tears this morning from her first job...)

I know you all are great and will have experience with this very thing so please help! She's tried calling her doc but hasn't gotten a response.

Thanks so much [Smile]

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have seen pregnant women wear the wrist band that is supposed to help.

I used one on a cruise and was not sick.

May be a placebo...

I am too old to know what is medically safe now a days!

Sorry for her - it is like a never ending bad boat ride....

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure ginger root would be ok. Double check that, but I'd think that's one of the safest things to try?
Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffyFan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BuffyFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hard sour candy to suck on, sour altoids worked for me if she can find them. It'd also help if she could eat a little bit of something before getting out of bed...toast with peanutbutter, part of a granola bar etc, just so she isn't getting up with an empty stomach.
Posts: 287 | From somewhere | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffyFan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BuffyFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if these ideas don't work, she can get meds for the nausea.
Posts: 287 | From somewhere | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel for her. The first three months of my first pregnancy I was so sick my tongue turned black and I could hardly stand up. I have the flu right now and was vomiting so I can really relate to how badly she feels, but luckily I am past the pregnancy stage of life.

I drank ginger ale and soda crackers which helped a little. Maybe a naturopathic doctor would have a better idea of what helps. You sure don't want to take any drugs for it.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Ginger ale may help but in studies I've seen, the capsules are often needed to provide the proper therapeutic dose.

Ginger capsules are safe in pregnancy but, of course, it's good to check with the doctor.

Acupuncture has also been helpful for many.

Herbalist / Naturopathic / Acupuncture organizations listed here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/2/13964
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Ginger

PubMed Search of Medical Abstracts:

Ginger - 1472 abstracts

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Ginger%2C%20pregnancy

Ginger, pregnancy � 112 abstracts

One of those:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19250006

J Altern Complement Med. 2009 Mar;15(3):243-6.

EFFECTS OF GINGER CAPSULES ON PREGNANCY, NAUSEA & VOMITING.

Ozgoli G, Goli M, Simbar M.

Department of Midwifery, Shahid Beheshti Medical Science University, Tehran, Iran.

Excerpts:

OBJECTIVE: The aim of this study was to determine the effects of ginger in nausea and vomiting of pregnancy.

. . . 67 pregnant women . . . .

. . . The experimental group received ginger 250 mg capsules for 4 days, and the control group received placebo with the same prescription form. . . .

DISCUSSION: A daily total of 1000 mg of ginger in a capsule preparation can be suggested by care providers as a means of decreasing pregnancy nausea and vomiting in women who tend to herbal medicines.

CONCLUSION: Ginger is an effective herbal remedy for decreasing nausea and vomiting during pregnancy.

==============================================

A chapter from THE ONE EARTH HERBAL SOURCEBOOK (Tillotson, et.al.)

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/important-herbs/ginger-rootrhizome-zingiber-officinalis.html

GINGER ROOT/RHIZOME (Zingiber officinalis)

==============================================

The best brand that I've found:

http://www.iherb.com/Ginger-395-mg-90-Veggie-Caps/4879?at=0

ECLECTIC INSTITUTE - GINGER

Freeze-Dried, Organic

Supplement Facts:

Each Capsule Contains: Organic Ginger (Zingiber officinale) rhizome (root), 395 mg.

Average Content: 5 mg Gingerols per capsule.

===========================================

Capsules are best kept on a schedule to maintain effectiveness.

For more immediate relief, a few drops of tincture in warm water can help:
--------------

http://www.iherb.com/Nature-s-Answer-Ginger-Root-Alcohol-Free-Extract-1-oz/5173?at=0

Nature's Answer, Ginger Root, Alcohol Free Extract, 1 oz

=================================================

A naturopathic doctor or an acupuncturist may also have many suggestions for HOMEOPATHIC remedies that are safe during pregnancy.

When I fly, these have really saved the day regarding avoiding vomiting and nausea from motion sickness, either separately or together.

Sometimes, for preventing but, even at the very instant I get the news from my body to batten down the hatches, these can have a nearly instantaneous calming effect - but ask an expert about safety during pregnancy:
---------

Tabacum homeopathic -

Cocculus Indicus - Homeopathic Remedy
-

[ 01-03-2012, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jkmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jkmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a bracelet called Prima Bella approved for nausea in pregnant women. My daughter used it for Lyme nausea and it seemed to work.

When I was pregnant, I felt better if I ate a lot, not just ginger ale and crackers. As nauseous as I felt, a regular meal helped.

Posts: 984 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was SO very sick with my first pregnancy. I tried EVERYTHING and nothing worked, sorry to say. I cried to my parents every night. I was so miserable. I tried the wrist bands, sour candy, ginger tea, ginger capsules, I tried it all!!! The Dr. said it would pass and it did for me at exactly 22 weeks (yes, that's 5 months of constant nausea). I felt so much better...I could eat again, but then the severe heartburn started around 30 weeks (still, way better than the nausea).

It was so terrible, so I can relate to your sister's misery. I was working at the time and could barely function, could not go to lunch with coworkers, threw up every morning, and had the constant all day nausea. I did try to snack on crackers all day, but it didn't help.

Oh, forgot to mention with my 2nd pregnancy, I started throwing up at around 6 weeks and my Dr. said we're not going to deal with this again (since I had a 14 month old running around, couldn't afford to be that sick), she put me on zofran. I really did not want to take anything, but I could not afford to be that sick again with another baby to take care of. It really helped, but I was still nauseous and couldn't stand certain smells. It was no cure by any means, but it took the edge off. I took 1 or 2 zofran per day I beleive until about 20 weeks and then stopped it. She said zofran is completely safe, but who really knows. I don't trust pharmaceutical drugs or doctors even for that matter.

If it makes her feel any better, having "morning" sickness is a great sign of a healthy pregnancy.

With my 3rd pregnancy (right before Lyme hit), I had a miscarriage and told my Dr. I thought I was going to have a miscarriage b/c I had absolutely no morning sickness at all. I was right!

Hope she feels better soon. Also, a lot of my friends had the severe nausea for just the first trimester and around 13 - 14 weeks were better. I was more of an extreme case.

Posts: 618 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fresh ginger tea and coconut water both work for nausea.

--------------------
IGM 41 IND, 83-93+ IGG 31 IND,34 IND, 41++, 58+, 83-93 IND

31 Epitope test neg.

Bartonella henselae 1:100

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peppermint - tea, candy, tincture.
Ginger Root - candy, tea, tincture.
The acupressure wrist bands are good, as is acupuncture.

Always check with the doctor before taking anything during pregnancy, including homeopathy. Some homeopathic remedies are unsafe during pregnancy, but most should be fine.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all! I knew you would be able to help [Smile] I will pass this info on to my sister [Smile]
Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spindleshanks
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spindleshanks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it gets to severe they can send her to an infusion center for iv zofran and hydration.
Posts: 253 | From CA | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vitamin B6.

http://survivemorningsickness.com/Natural-remedies-for-morning-sickness/vitamin-b6-morning-sickness.asp

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that she may not want to do this, but coffee enemas work fabulously! In my experience as a practitioner, the most common cause is that the body is detoxing for 2 and getting ready for the baby. People don't like the sound of them, but they are not bad at all, and you feel tons better after them. They are perfectly safe during pregnancy, too.

If not that, olive oil and lemon juice in the am detoxes the liver.

Plus all the other good suggestions above.

Trader Joe's has Ginger Chews, which, of course have sugar. But they do taste great and you get a decent hit of ginger with one or two.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopingandpraying
Member # 9256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopingandpraying     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are homeopathic remedies which can help, depending on the symptoms. Being under the care of a good homeopath would be ideal.

I also read an acupressure band called Seaband can help (I'm not affiliated in any way with this product, just trying to help).

Posts: 8981 | From Illinois | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugh, I feel for her. I got so sick when pregnant with #1 that I ended up in the ER needing fluids for dehydration. At that point, they put me on Zofran and I wondered why they hadn't done it sooner. With the Zofran, I still got a little nauseous but no more vomiting and I could get through the day.

The other things that helped were: sucking on ginger candy, eating a light snack every couple of hours and especially when I first got up (keep them by the bed) and going with the cravings.

On the bright side, it's supposed to be a good sign that the pregnancy is going well.

Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh and one more thing that's important - don't even try to take the prenatal vitamin in the morning. Take it at night instead and if that doesn't work, have her talk with her doc about skipping it for a while. My OB said that it wasn't as critical as the industry hype would have you believe, and what good is it if makes you throw up anyways.
Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymetwister
Member # 19590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymetwister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phenergan is safe to use during Pregnancy. I use to give it all the time to my patients.

Talk to your Dr. about this. It works pretty good.

Posts: 1227 | From District of Columbia | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie C
Member # 14

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annie C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No carbonated drinks. Pour desired amount into a bowl. Then take a wisk and whisk it flat. Takes less than a min. And drinks are better tollerated at room or body temp.

Crunch one cracker at a time and time is always a continuum!

Best of luck. And check to see if there is weight loss. It happens, Then tell the Dr.

First child???

--------------------
May God Bless you every day. And Never say never and do not give up no matter what. We need you to help others.

Posts: 1288 | From Tetons Wyoming | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie C
Member # 14

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annie C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Studies are great. As long as the pt stays unaware. The brain can be tricky and sticky. [bow] [bow] [group hug]

Emotional Mercy TLC

--------------------
May God Bless you every day. And Never say never and do not give up no matter what. We need you to help others.

Posts: 1288 | From Tetons Wyoming | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement