LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Question about Elevated Mold IgG Antibodies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question about Elevated Mold IgG Antibodies
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a question. Our daughter's pediatrician recently ran a comprehensive mold panel - blood testing. It tested IgA, IgE and IgG levels of eight specific mold types.

I have suspected mold may be an issue in our house, but really am not sure. As you all know, I have my share of health issues.

My daughter's allergy results for all non-mold things came back perfect. She obviously doesn't have the same allergy issues I do. All blood work was completely normal on the IgE side for dust mites, pollen, trees and more.

Regarding the molds, every single mold titer level was completely normal except for one very common mold. Her IgA and IgE levels for this type were very low so normal. However, her IgG level for Cladosporium Herbarum was 67. Normal is 0-28. Ironically, this is the mold found in highest concentration by our mold inspector.

I note that the mold inspector still said overall mold burden was very, very minor and completely normal. He had a PhD and expressed no issues.

Would anyone have an elevated IgG titer to this mold given it's common profile or does this mean more? I remember someone here (maybe MomLyme or Karenl said they'd be blind by now if they had elevated spore counts of Cladosporum that showed up in my residence. The spore count per meter was 350-450..about 60% of the overall mold burden in my bathroom. Well, actually the mold inspection findings did not give subspecies of Cladosporium. It just lumped them together.

The inspector said dangerous counts are in the 30,000+ range so it's meaningless. Agree or disagree?

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right, I would not stay in your house for one minute and I am so sorry your daughter has no choice.
Cladosporium is a dangerous one and explains most of your symptoms.
You know since very long time you have mold and you want to suffer.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Karenl, I really DO NOT want to suffer. [Frown] That's not really fair to say.

I respect your opinion and w/o a doubt know I have serious health issues.

Sometimes life is more complicated than just packing up and saying good-bye to a wife/children. [Frown] One has to be damn sure they are doing the right thing to lose it all.

From what I read over and over and over, all articles say Cladosporium is the most common mold of all. Found in all homes at some level.

http://www.moldlab.com/resources/glossary.html#cladosporium

Every article says it's non-pathogenic. But, it is allergenic. If immunocompromised, it may be a bigger deal, but everything in the world is under that case. I can find no association with my daughter's potty training problems and Cladosporium exposure. Maybe there's a lot more things I have not read. You're way more versed in this than me.

My daughter has a very odd clinical picture. On most days, she is a happy, active child. She does not suffer the symptoms I do. I pray I can continue to make this statement. However, that doesn't mean I am not very aware of oddities that are hard / impossible to explain.

I'm really at the point of driving myself insane pondering every possible reason why I'm ill. I could dream up 50-100 of them in an hour and all are possible. The whole situation just sucks big time period.

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

http://therestorationresource.com/index.php?dir=site&page=articles&op=item&cs=281&mode=print

The comment about Cladosporium 'weakening the immune system' bothers me though. Hmmmm...

jackie51
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seek--I am exploring something similar in my house. We had an elevated count of aspergillis.

What my mold guy told me to do was install a UV light in my return air duct at the furnace. I did this for the upstairs. It was $120 on amazon.com.

I am also going to rip out the carpet in my kids room and put some hard flooring in there. Whatever is cheapest at Costco.

This is a battle and I can understand your frustration.

Bed wetting can also be from parasites.

Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Jackie, her potty issues are far beyond bed wetting unfortunately, though that alone is serious. She is not bowel trained at all and is 6 1/2 years old. She does pee sometimes on the potty, but also has no issues whatsoever about just going in her pull-up. It's very peculiar and no physician can nail the issue down at all.

Good luck with the house modifications. We ripped all carpet out over a year ago. It has not made a big difference health wise for me.

That's interesting about the UV light idea. Have you noticed any change?

Do you actually have a true elevated aspergillus count in your house? Again according to my mold inspector, our cladosporium count is minimal. The spore count was mid 300s, while 30,000+ would be crazy high. That's 1% of the unacceptable range. This again is why I am struggling so much to understand why some here believe the result was dangerous. I have read multiple times everyone has this when testing, regardless of residence.

jackie51
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
seek--if you tested again, it might be different. Interesting that the blood matched the air. Yes, the aspergillus inside is 28 times the outside. We had mold sniffing dogs, so we know where the mold is. The 8 yr old's room (no surprise), master bath, basement carpet, FR carpet.

I have a friend whose child refuses to poop, holds it in for DAYS and is on a ton of miralax. She does not like the feeling of pooping and cries when she poos.

I don't know if the UV light helps or not. It makes me feel better mentally knowing it's there.

Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Wow, it sounds like you have serious cause for concern with 28x the outside levels. I wouldn't hesitate for a bit. I wish I had any clear cut answers. It would make taking action a lot easier.

My daughter is on tons of Miralax too. Also on Senna. [Frown] It's sad. She doesn't cry or seem in discomfort when going. She just seems oblivious to it. We've had every test known to man and the saga continues. [Frown]

I wish you the best of luck with remediation. I do often think about having another mold test done to see how it comes out. Money is getting tighter and tighter. My wife just doesn't buy into the mold issue so it's harder. I really don't blame her in a way given a highly qualified mold PhD credentialed individual told us to our faces the home was fine...

jackie51
Member # 14233

Did she ever get tested for anal strep? Better known as streptococcal perianal cellulitis.
seekhelp
Member # 15067

No, never heard of that Jackie. She has had many, many strep infections. I'll have to look that up.
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seekhelp, I have no advice. I am so sorry you are going through this. As a parent, I can't imagine watching my child be sick like yours.

I will pray for you - God knows so much more than we do!

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Anyone else here have thoughts about the meaning of just an elevated IgG titer to a mold type without any elevated IgE? I read a few articles saying there is zero correlation to it causing symptoms under this scenario. However, I also read Lyme is harmless. [Frown]
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Up again. Someone here has to know. [Smile]
seekhelp
Member # 15067

ANyone?
springshowers
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont know the answer to your question but came across this on another posts link to someone to does testing that maybe is a different technique that could be helpful and for Mycotoxins and Mold.

I moved away from my house and it has been like a weight lifted literally. I had gone for visits away from the house a few times and each time it was the same. I felt better and clearer and less pain and fatigue and I could wake up and breath and not have to go through hours of trying to clear what felt like a body filled with junk that was stuck to me and I had trouble with breathing and sweating and fatigue and stiffness and walking and jointpain and the list goes one. Leaving the house helped and I used to think it was psychological. I had a huge layer lifted and I am so very glad I am not there.
Have you done tests and taken the family away from the house and see how you do for a few weeks at a time?

Mycotoxin and Mold Testing
One has to be careful about hiring mold testers because of the amount they charge and the lack of medical understanding they have about the health effects of indoor mold.
Indoor Air Quality professionals are becoming more interested in what doctors are interested in which is at least one cultured sample from the part of the house that is supscious for the most toxic mold.
Without cultures and speciation we cannot determine what toxins may have been produced and what to look for in terms of health effects and biomarkers.
Mycotoxin assessment can be done in serum and urine theoretically as published by Strauss. Right now only one place in the country tests urine fro three types of toxins. Aflatoxin, Ochratoxin and Trichothecenes at roughly 400.00 a sample, each, by Dennis Hooper in Dallas. PCR of tissue is also available there.
The Trichothecene mycotoxins can be measured inexpensively, however, in dust vaccuumed from the clothing of your patients at Pure Air controls 800 422 7873. call and request dust socks (2.50 each). 5 samples are 300, and one sample is 150. I suggest doing your clothes and your cars and the carpeting or furniture from the room thought to house the mold.

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement