LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » excellent resource on mold

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: excellent resource on mold
riverspirit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19435

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riverspirit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There have been several discussions on mold and understanding this issue.

Tonight i spent a considerable amount of time reading from a web site of an experienced herbalist and healing practitioner.

She writes of her own mold-exposure experiences as well as much research and information.

Ingrid Naiman shares a wealth of information when it comes to natural healing and herbal knowledge.

There are several pages to this article, yet it is relatively easy reading. Just above the pink square logo near the bottom of the page are the pointers to the next page ~

http://www.moldmisery.com/

I'm simply in awe of the breadth of Ingrid's contribution to natural healing and her generosity in sharing information via her web pages.

Posts: 164 | From North America | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gigimac
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gigimac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for sharing this!
Posts: 1534 | From Greensboro NC | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gigimac
Member # 33353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gigimac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone used some of these herbs?
Posts: 1534 | From Greensboro NC | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
riverspirit

Thanks so much for that link. Here are some others that you might want to add to that.

gigimac,

the products listed on her herb page all look quite fine (at least those where I could see the ingredients). Still, a more detailed protocol might be needed for some.

---------------------------

http://ciin.org/

CIIN - Chemical Injury Information Network

http://ciin.org/mcs.html

About MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivities)

. . . Disorders of Porphyrinopathy . . .

==================================

http://planetthrive.com/2010/04/hpukpu-protocol-for-lyme-and-autism/

HPU / KPU Protocol - Planet Thrive

===================================

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/91842?#000000

Topic: what type of M.D. tests for PORPHYRIA

Many good links here

==============================

http://www.ehcd.com/

The Environmental Health Center - Dallas, Texas

http://ilads.org/ilads_media/lyme-disease-videos/

3/4 of the way down:

IDENTIFYING ENVIRONMENTAL ILLNESS & MOLD EXPOSURE IN PATIENTS WITH PERSISTENT LYME DISEASE

Lisa L. Nagy, MD Video $15.

(Excellent to get, even if mold is not an issue, this is full of great information.)

She is NOT A LLMD, however, she understands the kind of toxicity issues faced by many with lyme. She did not have lyme but overcame very serious MCS. She spoke at the recent ILADS conference.

It's a great presentation to see. The DVD can be ordered. Great detail about toxicity issues also here:

http://lisanagy.com

Nagy Web Site

http://marycordaro.com/blog/

Mary Cordaro�s Healthy & Green BLOG

Safe Home for Health, Happy Families
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gigimac
Member # 33353

Keebler if kpu is a deficiency in zinc, biotin, manganese, vitamin B6 (or P5P), and arachidonic acid.
Couldn't one simply take these supps to see if things get better instead of doing testing which I'm sure is expensive?

lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is excellent-really dumbed it down the way i need it

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riverspirit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19435

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riverspirit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ingrid Naiman has countless pages on health from a variety of perspectives. I'm in awe at her ability to share her story and at the same time be so helpful with information so that others can be spared the suffering she went through.
Posts: 164 | From North America | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting this.
Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the great resource and lots of links to go through there.

Has anyone done the testing for Mycotoxins and Mold referred to here though urine and dust?

Mycotoxin and Mold Testing
One has to be careful about hiring mold testers because of the amount they charge and the lack of medical understanding they have about the health effects of indoor mold.
Indoor Air Quality professionals are becoming more interested in what doctors are interested in which is at least one cultured sample from the part of the house that is supscious for the most toxic mold.
Without cultures and speciation we cannot determine what toxins may have been produced and what to look for in terms of health effects and biomarkers.
Mycotoxin assessment can be done in serum and urine theoretically as published by Strauss. Right now only one place in the country tests urine fro three types of toxins. Aflatoxin, Ochratoxin and Trichothecenes at roughly 400.00 a sample, each, by Dennis Hooper in Dallas. PCR of tissue is also available there.
The Trichothecene mycotoxins can be measured inexpensively, however, in dust vaccuumed from the clothing of your patients at Pure Air controls 800 422 7873. call and request dust socks (2.50 each). 5 samples are 300, and one sample is 150. I suggest doing your clothes and your cars and the carpeting or furniture from the room thought to house the mold.

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
gigimac,

You asked:

" . . . if kpu is a deficiency in zinc, biotin, manganese, vitamin B6 (or P5P), and arachidonic acid.

Couldn't one simply take these supps to see if things get better instead of doing testing which I'm sure is expensive?" (end gigimac quote)

-------

I do not have the answer. It's best to have professional advice. Still, I know most of us are on our own to varying degrees.

As for KPU / HPU being "just" a deficiency, as with any of the kinds or "cousins" of porphyria, anytime a liver dysfunction results in this or that problem, it's not just enough to apply the band aid.

There is also the matter of keeping porphyrins at an acceptable level. Too high and it can be fatal for some with certain kinds of porphyria.

Now, not everyone with KPU / HPU has other kinds of porphyria but it's all related. If the liver cannot make the very specific enzymes (and those are not commercially available, they are not like the digestive enzymes) . . .

then it goes back to how to make up for that.

As you mention, if the test is out of reach, the kind of things suggested are the place to start. That test can also miss other kinds of porphryia, but then so can any of the tests. Symptoms tend to be a major clue.

I am not an expert lay person in this at all, despite having two kinds of porphyria.

For some, with specific support with lyme treatment, it may be just a matter of getting past "lyme complex" and the the liver will work again with a less toxic load.

But, I am all too familiar with the need to do what we can for ourselves when knowledgeable medical care is not an option.

All I can do is say learn all you can, or find those who know more, somehow.

Most of it is self-care and using very specific supplements. It does make sense to incorporate the suggestions that seem to fit, especially those of Dr. K's protocol and see how it works.

Also be sure to read the "secondary porphyria" article in the Porphyria thread (link above).

While I disagree with the kinds of carbs highlighted in that article for even those who don't have lyme or candida, the concept is the same: we do need carbohydrates, but we can do it more healthfully.

It's important to remember that a crash diet or even a truly low carb diet can literally kill someone who has some kinds of porphryia, especially combined with a high toxic load.

Suggestion for how to best employ good carbs to keep porphyrins down, are at that link. Spirulina powder is tops.

Links above. Sorry I can't help more. It is very complex, so it takes a while to swim through it.

I'm also sorry that I can't be concise or even really write a clear sentence. It's just hard to explain. And that's why I just point to those who know more. I'm not one of them.

Hope something here helps.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement