LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » just tested positive

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: just tested positive
lukewarm13
Member # 36200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lukewarm13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey everyone. I just got test results back and they said I tested positive for Lyme.

My symptoms are mostly nervous system related (ie. trembles, inner jitters, etc.) Does this mean I'm late stage?

My doctor prescribed antibiotics by mouth for 2 weeks. I've read that I may need more than that. I haven't picked up the antibiotics yet. Should I try to find a Lyme literate doctor to make sure I get the right treatment or go ahead and start taking the antibiotics?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Posts: 3 | From North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manybites
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33750

Icon 1 posted      Profile for manybites         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes you need an LLMD asap to treat lyme and coinfections as well.It is never just lyme.
Posts: 1379 | From disable | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Collect the Rx now from the pharmacy.

Also, if you can TODAY, pick up these hings you can find in most health and natural foods stores).

1. Milk Thistle (take now, best to start with a meal - it helps protect your liver and helps to lessen chance for a herxheimer reaction from the Abx).

2. Probiotics (take on an empty stomach, away from supplements and away from Rx

3. Fish Oil (be sure it is certified to be mercury free)

4. Magnesium supplement such as Peter Gillham Natural Magnesium Calm (this can help decrease tremors and helps the liver).

4. B-vitamin formula (take with meals)

5. START Rx Antibiotic (Abx), later tonight or tomorrow - after getting a couple doses of all these, I would start the abx, as directed.

Rx need to be several hours away from supplements.

Do not lie down for a while after taking the abx.
Do not take with milk.

If you have the name of a LLMD, call today (or Monday morning) and schedule an appt. It often takes a while to get in.

Good luck.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=013239;p=0

WHY you need an ILADS-educated, Lyme Literate Doctor

=========================================

http://www.lymepa.org/html/dr__j__burrascano_september_20_0.html

Burrascano's Powerpoint SLIDE presentation 9-20-08

------------
http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Advanced Topics in Lyme Disease (Diagnostic Hints and Treatment Guidelines for Lyme and Other Tick Borne Illnesses

Dr. Burrascano's Treatment Guidelines (2008) - 37 pages

------------
As important as any supplements, sections regarding self-care:

Go to page 27 for SUPPORTIVE THERAPY & the CERTAIN ABSOLUTE RULES

and also pages 31-32 for advice on a safe, non-aerobic exercise plan and physical rehabilitation.

----------
This is included in Burrascano's Guidelines, but you may want to be able to refer to it separately, too:

http://www.lymepa.org/Nutritional_Supplements.pdf

�� Nutritional Supplements in Disseminated Lyme Disease ��
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lukewarm13
Member # 36200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lukewarm13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow thanks for the quick replies. this is my first post and I'm a little shaken up by the diagnosis; Yet relieved that I at least may have an answer to what is going on with my body.
Posts: 3 | From North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
As you start the abx, you may feel worse. If so, this is called the "Herxheimer Reaction" (or a "herx") from the borrelia spirochetes miffed for being under attack. They emit more toxins then.

That is why the milk thistle is so very important FIRST (if possible) to get your liver some protection in advance. You will then take it (or other liver support) all through treatment. The type may change at times, though.

Good water, good healthful foods will also help but you may want to prepare yourself for not feeling great.

Do avoid ALL processed foods, though, as they can create havoc. I hope you have someone to help you out.

There is so much to learn about this, even once diagnosed. As you suspect, it's far more complex than just two weeks of one single abx.'

I am inclined to also add GSE (Grapefruit Seed Extract) to the list of supplements. And, I'd also take that before the abx to get it into your system - but not at the same time as abx. It can be taken with other supplements, though.

This may help prevent the first dose of the abx from forcing the spirochetes to go into their protective cyst form, for which a different medicine is needed (flagyl).

But most MDs do not know this and think just one Rx is the ticket. Once you connect with a LLMD, you'll have a full protocol.

But, for now, I'm just thinking that the GSE might help you in some protective way. Just my opinion. GSE can be a bit rough. I'd get the liquid and just take ONE drop in a 1/2 cup of water.

You can search more about that through Google for key terms, copy and paste this set:

Borrelia, cyst, Grapefruit+Seed+Extract

Good luck.
-

TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Burrascano discusses the "stages" of lyme on pages 19 and 20.

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Basically, your stage is determined by how long you have had the lyme.

Figuring that out can be difficult. When does your "story" of sickness, etc. start? That is likely the start date for your lyme.

If you have had problems for less than a year, then you are categorized as "early disseminated." If for more than a year, then "late disseminated."

I suggest you STUDY these Guidelines to learn about the disease you have and to learn what good lyme treatment looks like.

One lyme doctor that I know says that if you start the antibiotics, she would like you to stay on them until you see the lyme doctor. That can be difficult since the wait to see a good lyme doctor is nearly always well over 2 weeks.

If you are really suffering, you will probably want to start the antibiotics to get some relief. But, if you don't get any more meds, you will just be back in the same condition when you stop them in 2 weeks.

See how quickly you can get in with a doctor who will give you more meds.

I wish you the best. Folks here will help you any way they can.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lukewarm13
Member # 36200

Thanks! I haven't really had any symptoms that have stuck out to me until about 3 weeks ago. I started getting jittery and anxious feeling for no reason. I never saw a rash on me but I've had ticks on me countless times. I spend a lot of time outside.

I'm on the way to the Rx now to get these things everyone listed. Hopefully I can get in with LLDR soon. Thanks for the help.

t9im
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for t9im   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi lukewarm13:

You are about to enter the world of the lyme controversy. While you have gotten by the first part (for now) which is the diagnosis next is the treatment.

It�s amazing there is a controversy to this insidious disease and I�ve found it easiest to show a couple of u tube video�s on the controversy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVPRWiukp_M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yk0C-uX9cU

If you watch this video you can see some of the miss diagnosis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nIuIF6q8FA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-lHDA863TM&feature=related

Dr. B�s Advanced Topics in Lyme disease.

http://researchednutritionals.com/FactSheets/Burrascano's%20Advanced%20Topics%20in%20Lyme%20Disease%20_12_17_08.pdf

It took us 8+ months, 9 MD�s, 2 Children�s Hospital�s before we started to learn about the controversy and find the LLMD for our daugher.

She is now in month 21 of treatment. She missed almost 2 years of school. The neurological symptoms started to alleviate after 10 months of treatment and while I think they are now completely gone we are not quite done with treatment.

The tingling numbness in arms and legs lasted up until just 2 months ago.

--------------------
Tim

Posts: 1111 | From Glastonbury, CT | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ralphi
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33834

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ralphi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's so great that you got a positive test result! That's like gold around here.

I had similar symptoms as yours to begin with, but then I kept adding symptoms weekly until I had 25-30.

I've been treating for Bartonella since November and Lyme since Sept, but never had a rash or known bite. My tests were all indefinite or negative.

While you're waiting for your LLMD appointment, do some research on the co-infections that come along with Lyme.

I have a doc in Chapel Hill who has been great; send me a private message if you'd like the name.

Posts: 330 | From TN | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement