LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Endless Neck Stiffness / Scapula Locking Up

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Endless Neck Stiffness / Scapula Locking Up
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just can't figure this out, but it's ruining everything. I feel like my spine is just getting stiffer and stiffer. I don't know if it's from inactivity, TBIs, something else, previous shoulder issues or something else all together.

I just can't take it. My neck feels so compressed that it's SO hard to sit on the computer and look down. I'm coughing a lot all the time and it seems to throw out my neck more at times. My right scapula muscle is extremely tight. The upper area of my thoracic spine is tight too. Any reaching up to do work causes much issues.

All MRIs were always clear, except for mild bulging discs in the C4-C7. The neurologist said they are nothing.

I had shoulder surgery on both sides - rt in 2005 and lt in 2008. I do not have much mobility in m right shoulder anymore. I can't put my right arm behind my back barely. No issues on the left side. It's like both sides aren't moving in tandem anymore. My shoulder doctor said I needed a total shoulder replacement on the right side. I'm in my 30s for goodness sake. [Frown] That's just crazy. All physical therapy efforts, chiropractic, etc. never had any lasting impact.

I was proven not to have increased intracranial pressure as my spinal tap was normal.

For someone who made their living on the computer, this is devastating.

What could cause this intense neck tightness / spine tightness. My ID doc had me on 10 days of Clindamycin and OMG it was havoc by day 4. My right scapula was so tight I couldn't fully breathe. I felt like I had terrible bronchitis. Coughing endlessly. The Abx that was supposed to 'help me' hurt me more.

I think I'm going to need to go back on Baclofen. I'm so demoralized to be forced to be taking MS drugs when I don't even have any diagnosis. It's crazy.

I'm very obese too. I wonder if the weight is crushing my spine, but it didn't before. I know the older you get, the more it takes it's toll.

Stretching is of zero help for my discomfort. It's almost like my body can't support my neck anymore and it's a constant battle to keep it upright. I went through major neuromuscular testing years ago - completely normal. No known neuro conditions, no known MD type issues, no known auto-immune conditions. It's like my spine is being attacked!

I'm always coughing in the house and that puts more stress on my spine. My eyes NEVER EVER stop draining, eyes are puffed up beyond belief too. It's like a non-stop daze. I can't believe how smart I "used to be" and now I"m just a dumb idiot.

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
re: I can't believe how smart I "used to be" and now I"m just a dumb idiot.

Don't blame yourself. We are just subject to alot of toxins, allergens & pathogens these days. Who knows what these do to people who have the "right" genetics...?

Have you looked into any heavy metal toxicities? Can you try to lose some weight? We have to keep trying - one step at a time. I know it's hard.

It sounds like all these drugs they are giving you are making you worse. Have you taken any breaks from all the medications? I'm not here to tell anyone what to do but it doesn't seem like all the medications are actually helping you.

I'm sorry you are suffering...

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhitneyS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhitneyS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Might be a stupid question but have you been to a chiropractor?

I have had similar neck symptoms and after years at traditional chiro i now go to one that uses ART to guide our adjustments and most days its 75-95% better. I only have to go now every few months and its not too bad.

Posts: 844 | From CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Babs & Liver/GB
Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seek, I try to examine every part of the puzzle - like asking questions of it to see if there would be any ideas for some relief.

DO you know what's causing your coughing?

Does your spine have normal curves or not?

Is what's going on with your eyes Lyme-related?

For me, for example, I found that sneezing and coughing threw my neck out, so I support it when I sneeze or cough.

I get regular chiropractic care, although it doesn't hold all that long.

I like hot showers for symptom relief, also hanging my head upside down relieves pressure.

The clindamycin eased my soft tissue spasms, so I'm wondering if you could benefit from anymore exploratory Lyme treatment - meds and/or nutritional help.

Curcumin capsules and teasel root tincture ease my Lyme symptoms, including tight muscles, and they're easy to take.

I also stretched out spasms in my pelvic area in the swimming pool, over nine months time. I took pain med the first month when I was stretching, then it got easier.

Because of that experience, I always try to play around with any way I can get a stretch in tight muscles. I look for the gentle "give" in the muscle stretch and do it for awhile, remembering that the pelvic release work was accumulative over time.

Hm re shoulder surgery - I'm wondering if you could benefit from some sessions with a PEMF machine - stands for pulsed electromagnetic frequency - it boosts the body's healing capacities by getting tissues what they need.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have horrible stiffness, pain, and limited mobility in my neck from Babesiosis.

Is your cough productive? Babs can cause a non-productive cough.

Clindamycin is used to treat Babs. It sounds to me like you were herxing from it. I had a terrible herx when I started Clindamycin. After that, it has been a good med for me.

I think Babesiosis is part of what you are dealing with. I hope you get a plan of action and some relief soon.

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beths
Member # 18864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beths     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"it's SO hard to sit on the computer and look down."

You shouldn't be looking down. I'm wondering if your work station is contributing to your woes. The top of the screen should be eye level, to avoid cervical (neck) flexion. Knees should be slightly lower than hips when sitting, arms and shoulders relaxed when using keyboard.

http://www0.hku.hk/uhs/he/worker/Posture_eng.pdf

Posts: 1276 | From maryland | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Member # 15917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane2904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Seek things are not well.

Just a thought--did your coughing and eyes worsen after getting some new pets?

If so, maybe try moving them out of house for a few days and see how you feel. I understand there may be other factors.

Hope you find your answers.

Posts: 1357 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymielauren28
Member # 13742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymielauren28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was having the SAME exact problems - awful neck/shoulder pain, itchy, watery eyes, and constant coughing. I started back on abx and within a few days these symptoms were MUCH worse.

I took a diflucan and a few hours later my neck and shoulder pain eased up a little. Hmmmm. I continued with the diflucan for about ten days and every single one of those symptoms were gone. No more neck and shoulder pain, no more itchy, watery eyes, no coughing. No nothing. And these symptoms had been plaguing me for MONTHS.

Apparently I had a pretty good case of Candida and didnt even know it. Just something to think about....

--------------------
"The only way out is through"

Posts: 1434 | From mississippi | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31621

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wanted to jump in and ask a question. I have a very bad stiff neck and headaches as well. I am also very dizzy. dvil doesn't cut it. What do you do for the pain and to take down inflammation?

--------------------
Tick bite in 2006, bullseye rash, treated with 2 rounds of 2 weeks of doxy. (once in 2006, once in 2009)
Dx with chronic Lyme May 2011.
LLMD April 2012, Treating with omnicef/zith
Lots of supplements!

Posts: 640 | From Connecticut | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pme, are you treating Babesiosis?
Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31621

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not yet. Hopefully soon. Just got tested for the first tome. Quest though....came back negative. Not sure if tat means anything at all.

--------------------
Tick bite in 2006, bullseye rash, treated with 2 rounds of 2 weeks of doxy. (once in 2006, once in 2009)
Dx with chronic Lyme May 2011.
LLMD April 2012, Treating with omnicef/zith
Lots of supplements!

Posts: 640 | From Connecticut | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sparkle, the one thing I have not looked into has been heavy metal toxicity. I never felt like I had a doctor educated enough to tackle it. I did do a few hair tests, but I don't think the ordering doctors understand them like GiGi, Dr. K and others. [Frown] MY old NY LLMD wanted to do a urine challenge test, but I had 2-3 mercury fillings and was concerned. The NP there didn't have concerns.

Yes, I have seen my share of chiropractors. They provide a little relief here and there, but temporary in nature. I do not believe they are the fix for my issues. It's an expensive road with them and they are not educated about TBIs. Certainly, none in my state are intelligent about ART per Dr K's style.

Robin, I don't know what causes my cough. It's a non-productive cough. It could be Lisinopril, but I don't think so. My spine does not have normal curves. Very little curvature in my neck anymore. I don't know if my eye issues are Lyme-related. I was negative for Lyme in my CSF, on all blood tests outside of Igenex.

Beths, I think my work station is ergonomically OK. I have a pull-out keyboard tray. Monitor is at the correct level. I have looked into this and corrected the best possible way.

It could have been a bad Babesia herx. Not sure. I don't react like that to Malarone oddly.

Lymelauren28, you may be right. I had very high Canadida blood titers (IgA, IgM and IgG). All normal doctors told me it's normal to have elevated levels and my body is just showing it recognizes it. Everyone has candida. I have felt better at times on Diflucan, but I never took it more than 2-3 days in a row. No docs I see believed in using it long-term. The last time I tried Diflucan, I got really, really ill.

A part of me feels this coughing is environmental. Can't prove it though. My daughter gets the same coughing issues at times too. It goes away and then comes back.

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickssuck
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickssuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand. I've had horrible neck pain/stiffness and radiculitis into my arm. I did herniate C6-7 in 2005. Hmmm...infected in 2004, ya think related?

Anyway, in 2007 had fusion surgery on C6-7 as it was impacting my spinal cord. The surgery was to provide pain and symptom relief; it did neither. I have continued to have the pain every single day and awful neuro symptoms. Dx'd with Lyme 2008.

I've always figured it was infection/inflammation related. My brain symptoms are unrelenting and wonder if it's just a result of pressure into my neck from mild (though doesn't feel mild) brain inflammation. I don't know and it's terrible. I'm sorry you are dealing with this as well, whatever the cause; it's miserable.

Oh and I didn't talk about the eye symptoms. Mine are red and "filmy" every morning. I have very blurry vision, weird perception - like my depth perception is off, along with light sensitivity...and there's probably more, sigh. TS

Posts: 566 | From West Coast | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme in Putnam
Member # 11561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme in Putnam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm trying the naturopath route. Can you get one that might do acupuncture. I'm far from relief but she's trying. Feel better.

--------------------
He took u to it, He'll you through

Posts: 2837 | From NE. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My thoracic spine was stiff.

My left scapula was locked down flat on my back until a year after I got well. It has only recently, within the past couple months, unlocked completely.

From what I can tell, a frozen shoulder is not unusual with Lyme. I've talked to several who have had it.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymenotlite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymenotlite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doctor recommended that I go see an osteopath who knows how to adjust the cranium. Most of them do not know how to do this and you can find one at http://www.cranialacademy.com/

The guy I went to did help me. It felt like my whole body was being treated rather than my back of my shoulder, etc.

Posts: 705 | From WA state | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement