LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » itchy scalp

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: itchy scalp
2young2dieMom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2young2dieMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had an itchy scalp for years but lately its become really irritated. The dermatologist gave me a topical steroid but I'm wondering if it couldn't be parasite related.

I don't have lice or eczema.

What helped you with an itchy scalp?

--------------------
Dxd ALS 3/2010
Dxd cllinical Lyme 4/2010
Positive for Protomyxzoa but absolutely nothing else in Igenex

Posts: 417 | From central ct | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aMomWithHope
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aMomWithHope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dd is going through the exact issue right now--I've checked for lice, and I don't see anything--I went to Whole Foods today and bought some lice shampoo, just to be safe--but I truly don't think that is it.

Have you been on anything new recently that would aggravate it?

My dd was recently on crypto for a few weeks when this itchiness exploded, so I've been thinking along the same lines as you--parasites. She's been off the crypto though now for 2 weeks, and it hasn't gotten better, so I don't know.....

I also picked up some Neem Shampoo, which is supposed to be good for all skin conditions. I'm going to have dd shampoo with this prior to the lice shampoo and see if there is any relief.

Since I don't see any proof of lice, I hesitate to go to the dermatologist because I know they will just give steroid creams or chemical shampoos--

Not sure though what to do since she says the itchiness is maddening (and burning painful sometimes too)?!

Good luck in finding relief--I'll post again if either of the products I bought bring her any relief.

p.s. I did want to mention too though that of late she's been cheating more and more with the gf/lf diet, so perhaps that is an issue for you too--are you eating gluten free/dairy free? Could be an allergy? DD is back on gf/lf once Easter is over.......or sooner if she still can't get over the itchiness.

Posts: 648 | From northeast | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Toxic metals can cause the itching. Especially if the area around the neck and tonsils, vagus nerve is congested and toxins are not leaving through the lymphatics. Biofilm plays a serious role all around neck and shoulder area. That is where things get stuck and blood cannot clear the head/brain. Check all your supplements and avoid all magnesium stearate or titanium dioxide - read the fine print. The mag stear is contributing to biofilm. Tonsils are our toilet -- if congested, it is not a good thing.

If you have not treated parasites, that needs to be done first. Only pharmaceuticals do a thorough job. I have posted about it many times. Some of them cross the blood brain barrier which is important to get at parasites in the brain. Different meds reach different areas and sizes of parasites.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah i scratch my head and get what i call "sand" off my head. drives me nuts...

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anuta
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anuta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To me the itching is always the Babesia flare. Thats how my LLMD diagnosed me with Babesia, even though my tests for Babesia was negative. After 6 months of Lyme and Bartonella treatment, I started to itch all over- Babesia took over. It disappeared some time after I started Babesia treatment.
Posts: 443 | From Montreal, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlefev
Member # 20586

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlefev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dab apple cider vinegar on the itchy spots on my head. Some people have suggested spray bottles. Your hair will smell lousy for a few days even with regular washing and conditioning, but anything is worth not wanting to scratch your head off.
Posts: 12 | From CA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fungus is the most likely cause.

Sulfate sensitivity (read shampoo label) can also do this.

Peppermint in shampoo is helpful for the itch.

I use Triple Treat Tea Tree shampoo from Giovanni. I know it isn't the best out there, but I'm not allergic to it like I am to so many other "natural" shampoos...

Or make your own shampoo with plain castile soap, grapefruit seed extract (great for fungal issues!), and essential oils.

Tea tree oil, peppermint oil, lemongrass oil...all are good for getting rid of fungus.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it is fungus, you might also want to try Nizoral shampoo.. Most drug stores have it.

--------------------
IGM 41 IND, 83-93+ IGG 31 IND,34 IND, 41++, 58+, 83-93 IND

31 Epitope test neg.

Bartonella henselae 1:100

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jkmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jkmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My head itched my whole life until I went gluten free. Now, hair products with gluten will make it itch again.

Before I knew it was from gluten, apple cider vinegar helped with the itching. Somehow, it didn't burn, even when my scalp was really irritated.

Posts: 984 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansemand
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hansemand     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bartonella

--------------------
hansemand

Posts: 160 | From europe | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Healing in Santa Cruz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7798

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Healing in Santa Cruz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try Organic coconut oil and rub into scalp,leave on for a while and shampoo out.It has helped me.It's anti-fungal if that's the problem
Posts: 905 | From Santa Cruz,Calif | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymenotlite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymenotlite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have little bumps all over the top of my head, especially towards the back. I've been taking albendazole and it is inflaming them and they really itch starting about an hour or so after taking the drug. It can be hard getting to sleep with an itching head.

In July of 2010 I started mepron. One of the things that happened was that my scalp itched a lot and when I scratched my head, there were small, hard white particles under my fingernails.

I probably still have babesia and will treat for it again in a month or two or whenever I can face the mepron in my basement.

Posts: 705 | From WA state | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement