LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Cranial Nerves

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cranial Nerves
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes during research you may find reference to a specific cranial nerve that has been affected by the Lyme, such as with Bells palsy. Since I can't remember all of the individual nerves and their individual functions, I found this site and cut and pasted them all together from different areas and pages so we could have an easy reference list here.

Check the list and match it with your symptoms if neuro Lyme is your problem. It will indicate which nerve has been affected. This hopefully will explain symptoms and problems better for you! It does for me.

Cranial nerves: Nerves that emerge from or enter the skull (the cranium), as opposed to
the spinal nerves which emerge from the vertebral column. Cranial nerves come directly from the brain through the skull. There are 12 cranial nerves each of which is accorded a Roman numeral and a name:
Cranial nerve I: The olfactory nerve, Cranial nerve II: the optic nerve,
Cranial nerve III: the occulomotor nerve, Cranial nerve IV: the trochlear nerve, Cranial nerve V: the trigeminal nerve, Cranial nerve VI: the abducent nerve, Cranial nerve VII: the facial nerve,
Cranial nerve VIII: the vestibulocochlear nerve,
Cranial nerve IX: the glossopharyngeal nerve,
Cranial nerve X:the vagus nerve,
Cranial nerve XI: the accessory
nerve, and
Cranial nerve XII: the hypoglossal nerve.
The cranial nerves are nerves of the brain.

Cranial nerve I: The cranial nerves emerge from or enter the skull (the cranium), as
opposed to the spinal nerves which emerge from the vertebral column. There are twelve
cranial nerves.
The first cranial nerve is the olfactory nerve which carries impulses for the sense of smell from the nose to the brain.
The word "olfactory" comes from the Latin "olfactare", to sniff at and "olfacere", to smell.

Cranial nerve II: The second cranial is the optic nerve, the nerve that connects the eye
to the brain and carries the impulses formed by the retina -- the nerve layer that lines the back of the eye, senses light and creates the impulses -- to the brain which interprets them as images.
In terms of its embryonic development, the optic nerve is a part of the central nervous
system (CNS) rather than a peripheral nerve.
The word "optic" comes from the Greek "optikos", pertaining to sight.
Aside from the optic nerve, the eye has a number of other components. These include the
cornea, iris, pupil, lens, retina, macula, and vitreous.

Cranial nerve III: The third cranial nerve is the oculomotor nerve.
The oculomotor nerve is responsible for the nerve supply to muscles about the eye:
The upper eyelid muscle which raises the eyelid; The extraocular muscle which moves the eye inward; and The pupillary muscle which constricts the pupil.
Paralysis of the oculomotor nerve results in drooping eyelid (ptosis), deviation of the
eyeball outward (and therefore double vision) and a dilated (wide-open) pupil.

Cranial nerve IV: The fourth cranial nerve, the trochlear nerve, is the nerve supply to
the superior oblique muscle of the eye, one of the muscles that moves the eye. Paralysis
of the trochlear nerve results in rotation of the eyeball upward and outward (and,
therefore, double vision).
The trochlear nerve is the only cranial nerve that arises from the back of the brain stem and it follows the longest course within the skull of any of the cranial nerves.

Cranial nerve V: The fifth cranial nerve is the trigeminal nerve.
The trigeminal nerve is quite complex. It functions both as the chief nerve of sensation for the face and the motor nerve controlling the muscles of mastication (chewing). Problems with the sensory part of the trigeminal nerve result in pain or loss of sensation in the face. Problems with the motor root of the trigeminal nerve result in deviation of the jaw toward the affected side and trouble chewing.
The term "trigeminal" comes from the Latin "trigeminus" meaning "threefold," referring to the three divisions (ophthalmic, maxillary and mandibular) of this nerve.

Cranial nerve VI: The sixth cranial nerve is the abducent nerve. It is a small motor
nerve that has one task: to supply a muscle called the lateral rectus muscle that moves the eye outward. Paralysis of the abducent nerve causes inward turning of the eye (internal strabismus) leading to double vision.
The word "abducent" comes from the Latin "ab-", away from + "ducere", to draw = to
draw away. The abducent (or abducens) operates the lateral rectus muscle that draws the eye toward the side of the head. The abducent nerve is also called the abducens nerve.

Cranial nerve VII: The facial nerve is the seventh cranial nerve.
The facial nerve supplies the muscles of facial expression. Paralysis of the facial nerve causes a characteristic picture with drooping of one side of the face, inability to wrinkle the forehead, inability to whistle, inability to close the eye
and deviation of the mouth toward the other side of the face. Paralysis of the facial nerve is called Bell's palsy.

Cranial nerve VIII: The eighth cranial nerve is the vestibulocochlear nerve.
The vestibulocochlear nerve is responsible for the sense of hearing and it is also pertinent to balance, to the body position sense. Problems with the vestibulocochlear nerve may result in , (ringing or noise in the ears), vertigo and vomiting.

Cranial nerve IX: The ninth cranial nerve is the glossopharyngeal nerve. The 12 cranial
nerves, the glossopharyngeal nerve included, emerge from or enter the skull (the
cranium), as opposed to the spinal nerves which emerge from the vertebral column.
The glossopharyngeal nerve supplies the tongue, throat, and one of the salivary glands (the parotid gland). Problems with the glossopharyngeal nerve result in trouble with taste and swallowing.
"Glosso-" comes from the Greek "glossa", the tongue and "pharynx" is the Greek for
throat. So the glossopharyngeal nerve is the nerve that serves the tongue and throat.

Cranial nerve X: The tenth cranial nerve, and one of the most important, is the vagus
nerve. All twelve of the cranial nerves, the vagus nerve included, emerge from or enter
the skull (the cranium), as opposed to the spinal nerves which emerge from the vertebral
column. The vagus nerve originates in the medulla oblongata, a part of the brain stem.
The vagus nerve is a remarkable nerve that relates to the function of numerous structures in the body. The vagus nerve supplies nerve fibers to the pharynx (throat), larynx (voice box), trachea (windpipe), lungs, heart, esophagus and most of the intestinal tract (as far
as the transverse portion of the colon). And the vagus nerve brings sensory information
back from the ear, tongue, pharynx and larynx. The term "vagus" (Latin for "wandering") is apt because the vagus nerve wanders all the
way down from the brainstem to the colon, a long wandering trek. Complete interruption of the vagus nerve causes a characteristic syndrome. The back part of the palate (the soft palate) droops on that side. The capacity to gag (the gag reflex) is
also lost on that side. The voice is hoarse and nasal. The vocal cord on the affected side is immobile. The result is dysphagia and dysphonia (trouble swallowing and trouble
speaking).
One of the best known branches of the vagus nerve is the recurrent laryngeal nerve. After
leaving the vagus nerve, the recurrent laryngeal nerve goes down into the chest and then loops back up to supply the larynx (the voice box). Damage to the recurrent laryngeal
nerve can result from diseases inside the chest (intrathoracic diseases) such as a tumor or an aneurysm (ballooning) of the arch of the aorta or of the left atrium of the heart. The consequence is laryngeal palsy, paralysis of the larynx (the voice box), on the affected side. Laryngeal palsy can also be caused by damage to the vagus nerve before it gives off the recurrent laryngeal nerve.

Cranial nerve XI: The eleventh cranial nerve is the accessory nerve. The accessory is
so-called because, although it arises in the brain, it receives an additional (accessory) root from the upper part of the spinal cord.
The accessory nerve supplies the sternocleidomastoid and trapezius muscles. The sternocleidomastoid muscle is in the front of the neck and turns the head. The trapezius muscle moves the scapula (the wingbone), turns the face to the opposite side, and helps pull the head back.
Damage to the accessory nerve can be isolated (confined to the accesssory nerve) or it may also involve the ninth and tenth cranial nerves which exit through the same opening (foramen) from the skull . Accessory neuropathy (nerve disease) can sometimes occur and recur for unknown reasons. Most patients recover. Paralysis of the accessory nerve prevents rotation of the head away from that side and
causes drooping of the shoulder.

Cranial nerve XII: The twelfth cranial nerve is the hypoglossal nerve.
The hypoglossal nerve supplies the muscles of the tongue. (The Greek "hypo-", under and
"-glossal" from "glossa", the tongue = under the tongue).
Paralysis of the hypoglossal nerve affects the tongue. It impairs speech (it sounds thick) and causes the tongue to deviate toward the paralyzed side. In time, the tongue diminishes in size (atrophies).

[This message has been edited by Tincup (edited 08 March 2001).]

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, Tincup. I printed this one - so I will not forget. Good info. All I remember back when I was a total vegetable five years ago, I was told that because of the cranial nerve damage my cranium was not "swinging so many times a minute" any longer as it should, but was actually stuck. Thus lack of blood supply, oxygen, lack of communication throughout the whole body, etc. etc. That was when "panic" was my first name, except I didn't know why. I received cranial-sacral therapy, whereby they actually reset the brain's "computer". It lasted for a bit, stopped to swing again, and took many months to function fully again. I was also told by all doctors that the brain will take the longest to heal of any organ. And the ANS (the autonomic nervous system) will take quite a while before it can forget the twitching and the tremor and whatever is caused by the cranial nerve defect and involved nerves. In other words, there is healing to take place after we get rid of the bugs that brought us the misery to begin with. And our body will do it on its own time schedule. The dentrites reattach or regrow and bring back the function if we help it along.

I would recommend to anyone (as my doctor did to us) to read the book "Brain Longevity" by D. S. Khalsa, M.D. It is easy reading for anyone and helped us to understand things better (including important nutrients to improve brain function. It's probably available in paperback or at your library.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lavender
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 84

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Lavender   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tincup, thanx so much for providing this information. I've printed it out too. It
really helps explains some of my problems.

Next I would like to know which spinal nerves are making my left hand and leg/foot numb. I haven't had much luck searching the web myself for this information, so I really appreciate your hard work.

Lavender

Posts: 294 | From West Chester, PA USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cathy T
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a little saying to help remind one of which nerve is which, but I can't remember it right now.....I'll ask hubby tomorrow and let you know.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While looking for something else I stumbled across this old post. Maybe worth repeating here?

Spine, skull surgery may help many with CFIDS, FMS:
Chiari malformation or cervical stenosis may be common
in CFIDS & fibromyalgia

Spine, skull surgery may help many with CFIDS, FMS:
Chiari malformation or squeezing of spinal cord may be common in CFIDS, fibromyalgia.
By David Hoh (David Hoh is editor of The CFIDS Chronicle)
The CFIDS Chronicle, May/June 1999 pages 10-12
Copyright � 1999 The CFIDS Association of America, Inc., PO Box 220398, Charlotte, NC 28222-0398 (800) 44-CFIDS.
Reprinted here with permission.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For some patients with CFIDS and fibromyalgia, the crux of their problems may be all in the backs of their heads.
New research is focusing attention on neurological conditions in which the brain stem or upper portion of the spinal cord is compressed. All the signals that go from the brain to the body and vice versa must pass through this narrow passageway, just about a half an inch in diameter. When this nerve passageway is squeezed, a person can experience the same assortment of symptoms that are familiar to persons with CFIDS and fibromyalgia [see list at end of article].

The best known of these conditions is the Chiari malformation, in which the cerebellar "tonsils" (a portion of the cerebellum, shaped like the tonsils in the neck) extend several millimeters through the opening in the base of the skull (the foramen magnum) that allows the spinal cord to attach to the brain. This puts pressure on the brain stem and spinal cord. In a less well recognized but perhaps much more common condition known as cervical stenosis, the spinal canal appears normal but is actually too narrow for the spinal cord. Sometimes a condition called syringomyelia develops, in which a cyst grows in the spinal canal, putting greater pressure on the spinal cord.

Symptoms from these conditions often don't develop until adulthood, when the compression may grow more severe or may be triggered by an injury such as whip-lash, surgery that involves hyperextending the neck, or prolonged coughing. Thus, onset of symptoms may be gradual or sudden. And symptoms may vary widely according to the individual.

Sound familiar? Difficult diagnosis, vague symptoms - but there is an enormous benefit to patients when this diagnosis can be made. There is an accepted and generally effective treatment.

Treatment for these conditions is surgery to expand the space available for the brain stem and spinal cord. This is done by removing bone from the skull and/or the cervical (top seven) vertebrae. Neurosurgeons who perform the surgery report that most patients experience significant and broad improvement of symptoms, beginning almost immediately following surgery and progressing with time as the spinal cord recovers from the compression. While it is not at all clear whether surgery can relieve all the symptoms associated with CFIDS and fibromyalgia, some fibromyalgia patients who have undergone the decompression surgery have reported that their tender points completely disappeared.

"We're very hopeful that this will be the first real, viable treatment for many people," said Rae Gleason, director of the National Fibromyalgia Research Association (NFRA) in Salem, Oregon. The NFRA is funding a $150,000 study to determine the percentage of fibromyalgia patients who have a Chiari malformation or spinal cord compression.

"The treatment is not 100%," Gleason said. "Each person gets back a different kind of quality. Of the people I've talked to, the most dramatic improvement has been that headaches are gone. Number two, fatigue is greatly decreased, and flares seem to be limited. For some people, the irritable bowel syndrome is basically gone. So the relief comes in different ways."

At this point, the optimism needs to be tempered with good science. "This is not yet something we can tell people to run out and do. I think we will find a high per-centage (for whom the surgery will be appropriate), but it will not be the answer for everyone," Gleason said.

Neurosurgeon Dr. Michael Rosner of Charlotte, N.C., found the possible connection between CFIDS/fibromyalgia and spinal cord compression in the process of diagnosing and treating a physician who was disabled by CFIDS. He agreed that it's prema-ture for patients to start seeking diagnosis and treatment from their local neurosurgeon because awareness of the possible connection between the condition (absent the actual herniation of the cerebellar tonsils) and CFIDS/fibromyalgia is still low. Research is just beginning to be published on this topic.

"We're looking at this as a subset of patients," Dr. Rosner said. "Fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome may be many diseases, but clearly there is a big chunk of them who may be surgical (candidates)."

The Type I Chiari malformation (Type II is related to spina bifida and hydrocephalus and is found in infants) was first identified in 1891 and was considered to be rare before the development of MRI scans. Even with MRI scans, however, the diagnosis is frequently missed because of the way radiologists usually scan the neck. They're looking for herniation of the cerebellar tonsils, Dr. Rosner explained, but a spinal canal or foramen magnum that is congenitally narrow, not misshapen, would be reported as normal. Rosner said MRI scans typically do not account for the curvature of the spine and therefore make the diameter of the spinal canal appear larger than it really is. However, even MRIs that are done according to a protocol designed to find compression of the spinal cord may provide vague results. Therefore, Dr. Rosner explained that a judgment on whether to perform surgery is usually made with a combination of MRI scan and neurological testing.

Dr. Rosner believes that neurally mediated hypotension (NMH), which is associated with CFIDS, may well prove to be "a good objective marker" for cervical stenosis.

"The real diagnostic clue is anything that signals neurological impairment - abnormal reflexes, tingling in both arms or both legs, shooting pain, urinary frequency, inability to stand on one foot, ataxia (coordination problems), dropping things out of the hands," Rosner said.

Fatigue and pain alone are not enough to suggest this condition, he said. In fact, before he became aware of CFIDS through that disabled physician, he would have dismissed someone who complained of being tired all the time. Now, he interviews the patient to find out the range of symptoms and what set them off.

"When you hyperextend the neck backward," Dr. Rosner explained, "the spinal canal narrows. This happens in the case of whiplash in an automobile accident, extended dental work in which the head is bent back, coughing severely for an extended period of time, even something like painting a ceiling." Interestingly, the surgery in breast implantation requires the head to be positioned backward while the patient is unconscious and unaware of any pain in the neck. At the same time, Rosner said, blood pressure and oxygen delivery to the spine and brain stem is lower.

"Most people get better (from those kinds of injury) on their own; some don't get better and they may need surgery.

In a paper expected to be published in May 1999 in the journal "Neurology", Dr. Thomas Milhorat of the State University of New York in Brooklyn reports his experience with Chiari and related spinal compression. Of 364 Chiari patients he surveyed, nearly 60% had a prior diagnosis of fibromyalgia, 12% of chronic fatigue syndrome, 31% migraine or sinus headache, 9% multiple sclerosis and 63% psychiatric or malingering (some had more than one prior diagnosis). In another study, Dr. Rosner reported that 20% of the fibromyalgia patients he examined had cervical compression.

The University of Missouri is beginning a broad-based study of Chiari. It will attempt to characterize the wide variety of symptoms, analyze the MRI features, and define the short- and long-term out-comes following treatment. Preoperative evaluations will be tracked and compared with out-comes, which will be measured at one month, three months, one year, five years and 10 years. It appears patients in this study will be limited to those whose MRI scans reveal the classic herniated cerebellar tonsils. (See web site for more information.)

Of greatest interest to patients with CFIDS and/or fibromyalgia, however, is a study funded by the NFRA to determine the percentage of people diagnosed with fibromyalgia who also have the Chiari malformation or spinal cord compression. This study will involve 105 newly diagnosed fibromyalgia patients, 30 of whom will be matched by age and sex with 30 healthy controls. Patients will be selected at three sites - Oregon Health Sciences University, Dr. Robert Bennett; The University of Texas, Dr. I. Jon Russell; and Georgetown University, Dr. Dan Clauw. Each will be given an extensive neurological examination. MRI scans, done according to Dr. Rosner's specifications, will all be read "blind" by a radiology clinic in Charlotte.

Preliminary results should be presented and discussed in September at an NFRA research meeting. Dr. Rosner, who will chair that meeting, will present data from his own clinical experience, as well.

Other research linking Chiari and cervical stenosis to fibromyalgia is being submitted to the American College of Rheumatology for possible presentation at its upcoming meetings.

The National Fibromyalgia Research Association raises funds for fibromyalgia research. For information, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to P.O. Box 500, Salem, OR 97308.

SYMPTOMS:

The symptoms of Chiari or spinal cord compression may include:

Headache in the back of the head that may radiate behind the eyes and into the neck and shoulders.
Disordered eye movements, vision changes.
Dizziness, autonomic symptoms (orthostatic intolerance, NMH).
Muscle weakness.
Unsteady gait.
Cold, numbness and tingling in the extremities.
Chronic fatigue.
Tinnitis (ringing, buzzing or watery sounds in the ears).
Sleep apnea.
Speech impairment.
Hearing loss.
Gastrointestinal problems, irritable bowel syndrome, frequent urination.
Lack of gag reflex, difficulty swallowing.
Symptoms are exacerbated by exertion, and especially by leaning the head backward or coughing.
WEB SITES OF INTEREST

The following web sites offer more information about Chiari malformation and the surgical techniques used to correct it.

The Chiari Information Exchange: www.chiari.com

A chapter from an on-line neurosurgery textbook by John Oro', MD, University of Missouri, Columbia: http://neuroworld.com/hyperbook/neurospine/Chiari/1.html

New study at University of Missouri, with summary of Chiari I malformation: http://www.surgery.missouri.edu/ns/News/Chiari_study.html

One patient's experience with Chiari surgery: http://www.surgery.missouri.edu/ns/News/Chiari_patient.html

The Chiari Malformation Page by Neil Feldstein, MD, Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center, New York: http://cpmcnet.columbia.edu/dept/nsg/PNS/ChiariMalformation.html

World Arnold-Chiari Malformation Association: www.pressenter.com/~wacma

[The article also includes a graphic of the brain from Dr. Neil Feldstein's web site, #5 in the list above at: http://cpmcnet.columbia.edu/dept/nsg/PNS/chiari/chiarioperation.html]

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Hi Lavender... Long time no see! Hope you are doing well.

Here is a nerve chart. Go down to the small picture and click on it to bring up a larger view. Hope this helps. Ice, to reduce swelling on the bone/nerve site may help reduce your pain. Also a chiropractor is really good in the numb/tingling/muscle problems and more...for me.
http://www.drgreganderson.com/nerve.htm

slpook
Member # 605

Icon 1 posted      Profile for slpook   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had Microvascular compression of my VIII cranial nerve, only the vestibular portion (nerve splits into 2, one leading to the balance and one the hearing). I have perfect hearing, but became progressively (and finally permanently) dizzy and only leaning to the left stopped my nystagmus(involuntary movement of my eyes). 8/00 had complete nerve section and still healing. ANYWAY- I found accupuncture helped enormously with the pain ( be specific and they can help with arthritis EVERYWHERE!). Good Luck!
Posts: 99 | From Monroe Township, NJ, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lavender
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 84

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Lavender   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tincup, you are a GENIUS. Can't thank you enough for this information.

I have been able to work as a temp full-time since just before Christmas, which is very good, since I need to pay my bills. (If I could land a permanent job, I might actually make enough money to pay the bills in full...)

The bad news: I am too tired to do much else, not even to log onto Lyme Net too often. But it is a real lifeline, especially when I am having a bad day, like today.

In the meantime, I'm just taking one day at a time...I WILL NOT GIVE UP!

Lavender

Posts: 294 | From West Chester, PA USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Tincup, for all the brain info. I had heard about the chiari study also. Wouldn't we lymies need to make sure our Lyme is cleared up before considering any kind of surgery? Or is it the other way around??
Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lavender
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 84

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Lavender   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymetoo, I don't believe most of what rheumatologists say in regards to TREATMENT, but I find the information of the LOCATION of some of my symptoms (my brain stem) quite fascinating.

I certainly think antibiotics NOT surgery is what I need to treat those spirochetes in my brain stem. But I also think that perhaps my habit of sleeping on two pillows is sort of dumb and may compress the spinal cord and that my neck posture when standing or sitting (especially at the computer) should not bend my neck backwards and compress the spinal cord either. So Tincup's post about the Chiari malformation (which I printed out) gives me some good self-help ideas while I herx.

Lavender

Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bringing this up for pini...
sizzled
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, thanks Tincup!! This is super! I use to get cross-eyed trying to read the pages of info. on EACH nerve when all I wanted was the info. just like this!!!!!

Also. THIS is why taking B vitamins is SO important! They play a vital roll in the repairing and functioning of nerves!!!!

Posts: 4258 | From over there | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heckyeah
Member # 603

Icon 7 posted      Profile for heckyeah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, thanks so much for this info.. I keep meaning to look this up. After refreshing my memory (I knew all this by heart 6 years ago in college) I realize that I am truly screwed up. And I truly believe that 'screwed up' should be an offical medical description!

My herxes are full of ear ringing, hearing going in and out, mouth/tongue throat tingling/numbness, dizziness, etc... lots of cranial nerve crap going on.

DIE DIE DIE YOU KEETS!!

Jen

P.S. IV rocephin rules.

Posts: 1082 | From Upstate New York | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sore throat on one side??

Here may be the reason..

Bring this post up to the top...

------------------
Please don't feed the ducks!

Tincup
Member # 5829

For Lilly to see.

For Lilly to see.

Maybe she will be

So nice to meeeeeeee.

Hey.. It's Saturday night.. what do you want?

lla2
Member # 2364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lla2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks tincup! It does make perfect sense that this is what it is...

I've had severe h/a for a year, and now the accupuncture/herbal remedies are helping the h/a go away, and supposidly 'moving the energy' to balance out my head...so maybe that's why it's happening again.

I'd like to think it's because this was one of my first sympotms, and since we as lymies tend to go back to original symptoms again, maybe I've worked backwards through all my sympotms and this is my LAST!! How's that for optimism???!!!

thanks again, you're a peach...

Lisa

Posts: 4713 | From saunderstown, ri Usa | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

HA! It only took me 15 minutes to figure out what h/a was! I am getting better!

Yes.. your theory sounds real good. Good to hear the acupuncture helps.

I think you should post a "NEW TOPIC" and give us all the details of your experience with acupuncture.

That is something I would LOVE to hear more about... from the horses mouth.

NO.. I am NOT calling you a horse.

Not today! And at least not the "front end"...

What do ya say?

lightfoot
Member # 2536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Tincup,

Thanks, this stuff is for keepers!!

lightfoot

Posts: 7228 | From CO | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lla2
Member # 2364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lla2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha tincup!

You think h/a stands for headache??? NO WAY< it actually stands for hardass!!!

Look for my acupuncture posting

Lisa

[This message has been edited by lla2 (edited 16 November 2002).]

Posts: 4713 | From saunderstown, ri Usa | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On Old Olympus Towering Tops A Fin and German Viewed Some Hops.

Olfactory
Optic
Oculomotor
Trocheal
Trigeminal
Abducens
Facial
Auditory (Vestibulocochlear)
Glossopharyngeal
Vagus
Spinal accessory
Hypoglossal
http://members.aol.com/Bio50/LecNotes/lecnot28.html

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Got the nerve?

Tincup
Member # 5829

Up for Lilly...

------------------

New Yorkers, please email [email protected] and be counted. Otherwise you and I will be without the help of the wonderful Lyme doctors.

Tincup
Member # 5829

I only have one nerve left... and you are getting on it!
lla2
Member # 2364

Who ME??!! lol

Tincup
Member # 5829

Up for the member from across the ocean...

Is it snowing there too?

Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

We are trying to break a worlds record... and ME NO LIKE SNOW!

You all are gonna have to get me outta here or come visit me in the "home".

------------------
The ducks interpretation of Lyme has been challenged by those who research it, diagnose it, treat it, and live with it, and they don't have, in my opinion, a plausible alternative explanation as to what is going on.

So they can kiss my grits....

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tincup:

Is it snowing there too?

We are trying to break a worlds record... and ME NO LIKE SNOW!

You all are gonna have to get me outta here or come visit me in the "home".

Usually, I love snow....BUT....enough is enough!! My word! I don't remember the last time I saw the sun...seriously!!! ARRRGGGHH!!

And snow and ice in these hills is NOT a good mix!

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lasse from sweden
Member # 3590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lasse from sweden   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info Tincup, and others! And, since this is Sweden, it is snowing here too. But remember, the snow keeps the ticks asleep.

/Lasse

Posts: 37 | From stockholm, sweden | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up.
Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graneet2
Member # 6078

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graneet2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Tincup,

UPdate:
I ended up in the hospital emergency room from the pain in my hip coarse i got a whopping nine pain pills and told to get an mri. That i was probalby my siatic nerve. could be arther causing it or could be disc or something. LIKE i didnt know that already.

Well i called dr crist cause i had no clue what doc to go to for this. Rheum, or caropractor, or pain management for pain med. or a spine doc.

Well he put me on an antidepresant which is for sleep and effects the nerves.also Neurotin(sp) and predisone for inflamation.

Well first night i slept tho the pain was still there but could sleep over it..which was a definate first.

Then i got up took the neuriton for am and it knocked me out. I slept till three but when i got up i had no pain in my hip none all day. Now the numbness and tingling is there from my knee down when i stand, but the pain in hip is gone. I love it.

Lavender maybe see if you doc thinks the neuriton would work.

I read about that med before i took it and i wont do that again. It makes me nervous when i read up on how it effects other people. Then i get scared to take it. When it did nothing but good for me least so far.

Obviously this is a CNS problem. I assume from the lyme in there or attacking there now right.

I had burning on the rib cage area from time to time that even stopped. The doc in the emergency room gave me vicaden and i was so dizzy my equilibrium must have messed up or virtigo i tilted my head and got dizzy. Well this fixed that today to had none.

Well just thought i would post this perhaps it might be an answer to some of these nerve issues some of us deal with.

Graneet

Posts: 34 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graneet2
Member # 6078

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graneet2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Tincup,

UPdate:
I ended up in the hospital emergency room from the pain in my hip coarse i got a whopping nine pain pills and told to get an mri. That i was probalby my siatic nerve. could be arther causing it or could be disc or something. LIKE i didnt know that already.

Well i called dr crist cause i had no clue what doc to go to for this. Rheum, or caropractor, or pain management for pain med. or a spine doc.

Well he put me on an antidepresant which is for sleep and effects the nerves.also Neurotin(sp) and predisone for inflamation.

Well first night i slept tho the pain was still there but could sleep over it..which was a definate first.

Then i got up took the neuriton for am and it knocked me out. I slept till three but when i got up i had no pain in my hip none all day. Now the numbness and tingling is there from my knee down when i stand, but the pain in hip is gone. I love it.

Lavender maybe see if you doc thinks the neuriton would work.

I read about that med before i took it and i wont do that again. It makes me nervous when i read up on how it effects other people. Then i get scared to take it. When it did nothing but good for me least so far.

Obviously this is a CNS problem. I assume from the lyme in there or attacking there now right.

I had burning on the rib cage area from time to time that even stopped. The doc in the emergency room gave me vicaden and i was so dizzy my equilibrium must have messed up or virtigo i tilted my head and got dizzy. Well this fixed that today to had none.

Well just thought i would post this perhaps it might be an answer to some of these nerve issues some of us deal with.

Graneet

Posts: 34 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nakaa
Member # 6238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nakaa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bumping up so y'all don't have to search.
Posts: 83 | From Western Connecticut | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andie-ws
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for andie-ws     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Tin Cup:

Thank you so much for all the awesome research!

This info is amazing.

So are you for putting it all together for us.

love,
andie

Posts: 278 | From weston,ct.usa | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up.
Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement