LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Is it truly a good sign to get a cold?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is it truly a good sign to get a cold?
tickled1
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a whopper of a cold and am miserable. My whole family has it but I seem to have it the worst (surprise surprise).

Sore throat, nose like a faucet, body aches, low grade fever. The body aches were so bad two nights ago that I was in tears. My 6 yr. old didn't complain of any body aches at all, just nose like a faucet. Hubby fell somewhere in between.

I really want to believe this is a good sign and that my immune system does work. I don't normally catch what everyone else around me does. At least not the same way or to the same extent. Maybe the glutathione I've been getting has helped. I'm overdo though to go get it b/c I feel to sick to drive out there.

Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
So sorry to hear about this.

"a whopper of a cold and am miserable" - "the worst" ?

I think ANY respiratory infection should be considered serious, especially for those with chronic conditions.

If you are miserable, that is not good for you in any way. IMO.

If the immune system were in top order, the illness would not have developed to full force.

Sometimes we do not catch colds from others around us because we already had that strain before.

If you feel too ill to drive, don't. Nourish. Nurture.'

If coughing: Guaifenesin can be very important. It's always best to avoid coughing, when at all possible. The tender tissues in the ears, eyes, throat and lungs can be damaged.

Guaifenesin is the most effective to help suppress cough but also help the lungs work all that out (expectorant).

WATER, hot tea, is the very best expectorant, too, and vital to help guaifenesin work.

For me, these are also huge helpers: Black Elderberry Extract, L-Lysine, Olive Leaf Extract and Allicin are things I'd consider but mostly

LDM-100 - Lomatium dissectum (LDM-100 is clearly the best brand, IMO)

HIMALAYAN SALT PIPE

Carol in PA has posted about how this can be very helpful. Just search the term here and on the web. "Salt Pipe" may be enough of a search term.

AVOID:

ACETAMINOPHEN - Be sure to avoid any thing that contains acetaminophen as that has just been linked to lung disorders - because it blocks the liver's ability to make and manage glutathione -- and it can also block the ability of the lungs to clear themselves.

GLUTEN, DAIRY, CORN, SOY -

If you consume any of those, you may get better faster by avoiding them right now as they all can increase phlegm in the respiratory system. Phlegm accumulation is never good. Phlegm harbors infections.

ALLICIN or even a raw garlic clove can help to break up and move phlegm along.

TURMERIC, CAYENNE, & other colorful spices are helpful both therapeutically and with your meals.

WARM soups and teas. Lemon tea, from the juice of 1/4 lemon & stevia (maybe just touch of honey if candida is not an issue for you. Honey is soothing to the throat.)

What about trading massages all around? Even just for hands, feet, forearms and calves?

MAGNESIUM should help decrease pain but you might also consider CORYDALIS, if you have that around.

It's detailed here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/3/24039

Topic: Looking for long term pain management
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Keebler,

I'm not as achey as I was 2 nts. ago. It's weird. It was very acute for a few hrs. (the pain) and now the pain has passed except for the pressure in my head from the sinuses.

I hate to say it but I did take Tylenol. I only ever take anything if I am completely desperate as I tend to have elevated bilirubin and gastritis. I also know about acetaminophen effecting glutathione which irks me b/c I'm spending so much on glutathione so I know that is counter-productive but I have to keep going as I am a Mom. I did not know that about acetaminophen being linked to lung disorders though!

I just received my custom amino acids in the mail today from Jomar. They were formulated based on what my Metametrix results said I needed. I don't know if it's a good time to start them or not?

Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better. I can't say about the Amino Acids. My hunch is their support could be a nice help right now.

For your file:
-----------------------------------------

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/20/health/evidence-mounts-linking-acetaminophen-and-asthma.html?_r=1&src=me&ref=general

Studies Suggest an Acetaminophen-Asthma Link

-By CHRISTIE ASCHWANDEN (The New York Times)

December 19, 2011

Acetaminophen increases the risk of childhood asthma.

. . . Dr. John T. McBride, Akron Children�s Hospital. . . .

Excerpts:

. . . Even a single dose of acetaminophen can reduce the body�s levels of glutathione, a peptide that helps repair oxidative damage that can drive inflammation in the airways, researchers have found. . . .

. . .

. . . The sharp worldwide increase in childhood asthma over the past 30 years has long perplexed researchers, who have considered explanations as varied as improved hygiene and immunizations. Over the last decade, however, a new idea has emerged. . . .

- Full article at link above.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Thanks Keebler! Do you know if ibuprofen carries the same risks?

I know that acetaminophen is processed by the liver and ibuprofen more the kidneys but that is the extent of my knowledge regarding the two.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Oh, I do hate to be the gloomy one but, yes, Ibuprofen can also be hard on the liver because it can be hard on the kidneys and the liver has to take up the slack.

Ibuprofen causes blood vessels to constrict and that can lead to damage in the kidneys by decreasing / impairing circulation - for some, and for some even at normal dose.

My links to that information are stuck back in my defunct computer.
-

tickled1
Member # 14257

Ugh! Any tips on controlling body aches and headaches during these times so that I can still be a mommy?

I know, sometimes there are no easy answers. Crying is always a backup but I hate to do that in front of my little one. Although she is so used to it that it barely phases her.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Ugh. Crying with a cold is just a double whammy but if you need to acknowledge pain that is important to do so. Maybe there is another way to move that though your body.

Take it in, honor that feel but BREATHE it out, as best you can. Move your limbs and your belly and try to let your body just release all that - and some nice music may help lift your spirits.

If you can, sing. CIRCULATION is the best helper to move physical and emotional pain.

I put things in a post above to help lessen pain and I'm just toast now, so I'll leave this to others for their suggestions.

Hope you feel better.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Ginger can help relieve pain - and help increase circulation. It's a good antioxidant.

GINGER CAPSULES have a better therapeutic dose but even if you have to raid your spice cabinet:

GINGER TEA can be made from ground ginger. It can be a bit stimulating for some so not too much too late in the date until you see how it works for you.

Maybe 1/4 tsp in a big mug. Mix the spice up with just a little warm water first, then fill mug.

Add the juice of 1/4 lemon, a little stevia (or honey if appropriate for you). . . and sip.

Be sure to rinse mouth fully with clear warm water always after any citrus in the mouth but wait a while to brush as the citrus can soften tooth enamel. It needs a little time to harden.

and frequent SEA SALT GARGLEs.
-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement