LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Berberine...Are you overweight? Is your cholesterol high?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Berberine...Are you overweight? Is your cholesterol high?
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is your liver fatty (only seen via an ultrasound!)?

Are you headed for (down the road!!!) Alzheimer's?

Do you have the "bad" form of the gene (protein) ApoE...4 that is implicated in AD?

ApoE is a cholesterol TRANSPORT protein.

Are you forgetful? (Amyloid B causes forgetfulness.)

Consider this (TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR!):

***Berberine*** ameliorates β-amyloid pathology, gliosis, and cognitive impairment in an Alzheimer's disease transgenic

mouse model.

PMID: 22459600 Neurobiol Aging. 2012

Berberine has been found to increase levels of acetylcholine in the brain.

http://maija-haavisto.suite101.com/berberine-for-depression-anxiety-and-other-psychiatric-illnesses-a258135

Berberine attenuates calyculin A-induced cytotoxicity and ***tau hyperphosphorylation*** in HEK293 cells.

http://www.j-alz.com/issues/24/vol24-3.html

ApoE forms a *stable complex* with amyloid β (Aβ) peptides

in vitro

and that the state of apoE lipidation influences the fate of brain Aβ, i.e.,

lipid poor apoE promotes Aβ aggregation/deposition

while fully lipidated apoE favors Aβ degradation/clearance.

In the brain, apoE levels and apoE lipidation are

regulated by the liver X receptors (LXRs).

http://www.molecularneurodegeneration.com/content/5/1/44

It is thought that bexarotene stimulates expression of apolipoprotein E (ApoE), which leads to intracellular clearance of β-Amyloid. (Remember, ApoE and beta amyloid form a complex and jointly that complex is degraded/cleared.)

The connection between neuron failure in Alzheimer's disease and depleted myelin cholesterol ***(via ApoE deficiency)*** has also been described in Cholesterol Depletion and consequently is a known statin therapy adverse drug reaction.

Our liver is where T4 converts T3 (thyroid) happens. If the liver is "fatty", does this impair that from happening? So if you have a thyroid problem, it maybe not be a thyroid functioning problem, but is, in reality, a liver functioning problem.

There are MANY things that can cause a "fatty liver"...eating too many fats, MANY drugs (including statins)and...

High levels of homocysteine can trigger a fatty liver too.

Homocysteine is controlled via B9 (folic acid),B12 and B6. If you genetically can't convert folic acid to its active form i.e., L-Methyfolate (MTHFR defect)...there could be a problem...

I can't help but wonder...is Bb's OspB (outer surface protein, B...beta...as in amyloid beta?

We can't make the antibody to that Osp of Bb. That antibody is "damaged" (I linked that years ago). Mg restores the health of that antibody, but Mg levels drop very significantly at the outset of lyme and ATP (which the infected cells make too little of) drives Mg back into the cells where it combines with our ATP as Mg-ATP to transfer phosphate groups.

And Mg is a HMG CoA reductase INHIBITOR (like statins) which help *lower cholesterol*. Mg works WITH B6.

Oddly, our liver cells (hepatocytes) secrete amyloid B (!) and it colocalizes with apolipoprotein B (ApoB) in the absorptive cells of the small intestine.

So...amyloid B looks to work with ApoB and ApoE (transporter).

While Berberine looks to be good...VERY good (!)... from everything I've read (tons), I would be remiss if I did not link this:

By inducing scavenger receptor A (SR-A) expression in macrophages, berberine

increased the uptake of *modified* LDL (DiO-Ac-LDL).

Berberine-induced SR-A expression was also observed in macrophage foam cells in vivo and in the cells at atherosclerotic lesion.

Analysis in RAW264.7 cells indicated that berberine induced SR-A expression by suppressing PTEN expression, which led to sustained Akt activation.

Our results suggest that to evaluate the potential of a cholesterol-reducing compound in alleviating atherosclerosis, its effect on the cells involved in atherosclerosis development, such as macrophages, should also be considered.

***Promotion of foam cell formation could counter-balance the beneficial effect of lowering serum cholesterol.***

PMID: 19546885

However...

The alkaloid berberine upregulates the expression of HNF4A.

HNF4A is required for the PXR and CAR-mediated transcriptional

activation of CYP3A4.

PXR... Like other type II nuclear receptors, when activated, it forms a heterodimer with the retinoid X receptor (RXR).

Wikipedia

Getting to know CYP3A4 - the most important of all CYP450 (liver) enzymes - from a pharmaceutical website:

http://www.pharmacytimes.com/publications/issue/2008/2008-09/2008-09-8687

Which brings me back to another post...can RXR agonists (helpers) impact the VDR receptor?

Final note...if you have had weight LOSS...look into:

Secondary amyloidosis - a type of systemic amyloidosis...involves serum amyloid A, not B. Strong link to diabetes and insulin resistance.

BBR (berberine) also downregulated several hepatic proinflammatory genes, including TNF-α, IL-6, and ***serum amyloid A3*** (SAA3; Fig. 4D), which have been proposed to play a role in the development of steatohepatitis (12).

http://ajpendo.physiology.org/content/296/4/E812.full

Berberine...could it alone work? Dosage needed? Timing? Interaction with current Rx's? Could it potentiate abxs?

Scroll down to medicinal uses (note link is an edu):

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/goldenseal-000252.htm

Of note was the mention of malaria...

[ 05-05-2012, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: Marnie ]

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Marnie,

Thanks so much for this link. Since weight gain can be caused by infection and adrenal stress that goes with that, it's good to have ways to offset the effects.

This is the second fabulous post about BERBERINE recently.

I wonder if you might consider adding the term to the heading for ease of future searches (as the "subject line" searches are so much faster than whole post searches).

thanks.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watch for it...I will attempt to list and link the benefits of Berberine which looks to be amazing. I'll do my best to simplify it so that everyone can catch on, but provide the links so doctors/professionals can read about it in greater depth...to convince them also.
Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome, Marnie!

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Marnie,

thanks for adding "berberine" in the heading. It was easy to find as I went searching to day to take a second look.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought a high GGT level was one indicator of a fatty liver? This liver test used to be high for hubby while all the other liver enzymes were normal.

IV lipid exchange, which used to be called the P.K. protocol (IV glutathione and IV phosphatidylcholine (P.C.)) normalized hubby's GGT and it has stayed normal for 6 or 7 years now with sporadic use of oral P.C.

Marnie -- the current issue of Life Extension magazine has an article about fatty liver. They have come out with a new supplement (proproietary form of SOD from muskmelon) which is supposed to reverse fatty liver. I am thinking about ordering some for hubby to try.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

High levels of E-EPA are supposed to help correct a fatty liver too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethyl_eicosapentaenoic_acid

Caution...some is good and helps depression, but too much can -> mania.

Scroll to summary at end of this link:

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/16/3/285.full.pdf

seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marnie,

I just looked at my magazine and it is the January, 2012 issue of Life Extension -- I am only 5 months behind in my reading. LOL

Anyway -- you really need to get a copy of this issue -- besides the article "New way to combat oxidative liver damage" there are 2 other must read articles, "Using hormones to heal traumatic brain injury" and "Magnesium can reverse brain decay."

The supplement for fatty liver includes 2 ingredients -- the herb schisandra and the patented SOD supplement I mentioned above and is called "Liver Efficiency Formula".

The magnesium article discusses a new and improved form of magnesium (magnesium-l-threonate) which actually increases brain magnesium levels and is supposed to improve short and long term memory. The supplement is called "Neuro-Mag" and will definitely be on my next supplement order.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes yes and yes...but my mri said no alzheimers

does it mean anything if a neuro says it is not alzeimers from the mri...ot is it like a doc saying it isnt lyme when an elisa is neg

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bea, I found those articles online.

Life Extension Magazine
January 2012
http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2012/mag2012_01.htm

Novel Method to Effectively Combat Oxidative Liver Damage
http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2012/jan2012_Novel-Method-Effectively-Combat-Oxidative-Liver-Damage_01.htm

Bea said,
The supplement is called "Neuro-Mag" and will definitely be on my next supplement order.

iHerb carries this as well, and with a large enough order you'll get a 10% discount.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement