LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » High folate and B12?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: High folate and B12?
tickled1
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was looking back at some of my test results from 2009 and saw that my folate and B12 levels were high. Does anyone know what could cause this?
Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the same thing.

Check out my two threads that talk about it:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=117087;p=0

and

Any MTHFR updates out there?

I'm still trying to sort it out.

Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IF you can't PROCESS them, they might remain high.

MTHFR gene problem impacts the ability to convert folate = folic acid to its useful form.

B12...if your stomach lacks a certain factor called intrinsic factor, you can't absorb B12. This can also be a genetic problem.

Those 2 genetic factors together = major problem.

But there are "work arounds"...taking the active form of folic acid (Deplin or FoloPro)and sublingual B12...though it is likely sublingual B complex would be an even better idea.

Folic acid (B9) and B12 are used to reduce homocysteine (toxic).

B6...once again, active form is PLP/P5P, helps in a jam (lowers homocysteine) if B12 dives or can't be absorbed or if the active form of folic acid isn't available.

Just because folic acid/folate and B12 are THERE, doesn't mean you can USE them.

UMFA = *unmetabolized* folic acid...test can be run.

Along with 5-MTHF (test)

For those with bipolar, here's one recommendation:

If those with bipolar take niacin (vitamin B3) along with 5-MTHF, B12, TMG and B6, will the mania not occur?

(FIVE supplements?)

Biochemistry shows this possible. Is it clinically? According to those who practice functional and orthomolecular medicine � yes.

http://mthfr.net/mthfr-mutations-help-wanted/2011/09/09/

Personally, the above may need to be improved upon for SOME persons i.e., the sublingual forms of the B vitamins/B complex sublingual.

It's available. Source Naturals.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Source Naturals version uses folic acid instead of methyl-folate... I've seen this in other "coenzyme" B complexes too... Would be nice if they'd update their formulas with methyl-folate...

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LLMD told me today regarding MTHFR, I have 2 "C copies". Anyone know what exactly this means?
Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Which one is considered the "C copy"? C677T or A1298C?
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tickled, it is the A1298C that is considered the "C copy"...

The first letter is what it is supposed to be, the number is the location on the gene, and the second letter is the mutated version. So when referencing MTHFR C, it will mean the A1298C mutation (at location 1298, the A has been switched to a C).

Does that help?

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Razzle, thanks for the clarification!

BTW...Hsp90 (heat shock protein) apparently goes up early in lyme and late in lyme. This looks to be an attempt to raise an enzyme called BH 4 . Those with the MTHFR defect make a limited supply of that beneficial enzyme.

BH4 is an enzyme that is used to make serotonin, dopamine, thyroid hormones, melanin and to

detox ammonia.

AND...it takes Mg (somewhere along the route) to make ALL of our enzymes.

And as we know, Mg levels drop "significantly" (understatement) at the outset of lyme.

So...double whammy impacting the ability to make that beneficial enzyme.

Since we DO absorb things thru our skin, MgCl IS available for topical application (it might burn a little for a very short time...not on me...I'm not "significantly" deficient).

You can get it here (it is cheap):

http://www.iherb.com/Trace-Minerals-Research-Mega-Mag-Natural-Ionic-Magnesium-with-Trace-Minerals-400-mg-4-fl-oz-118-ml/23262

Re: sublingual...I know B12 and B6 are available by themselves. And as far as B3 goes (niacin)...NADH comes from niacin.

NADH sublingual is available from Source Naturals too (I have NO CONNECTION to that company or any other!). It is used for chronic fatigue, jet lag, etc.

I got some to try at Max Wellness yesterday. I don't have lyme (my sis was dx'd.). Anyway, ONE sublingual tablet did not effect me at all. So this morning I tried 2 tablets (20mg total...2, 10mg). So far I can't really say I feel any different.

While at the store, I was talking to the owner (very knowledgeable) and he said CoQ10 LOWERS NADH.

We MAKE CoQ10 (provided we have the nutrients to do so) when we EXERCISE. Keep in mind, it LOWERS NADH. And even the most healthy athletes have low NADH levels.

So...when you are better and CAN exercise, to STAY healthy and lower NADH which Bb likes..is recommended.

NADH is in our mitochondria (powerhouses) and I linked elsewhere that this is one of Bb's favorites.

So, if Bb is "stealing" NADH (which we make from naicin) which is in our mitochondria (powerhouses), and the macrophages (think of them as pac-men) are trying to destroy Bb, but he is stealing the macrophages' supply of NADA =

they lack the energy to finish their job due to "mitochondrial dysfunction"?

So...do we take CoQ10 and lower NADH levels (making less available for Bb)? OR...

Do we TAKE EXTRA NADH to try to help out the macrophages?

Should we change the above bipolar recommendation (if one has the MTHFR defect) to:

NADH (sublingual), B6 as sublingual PLP/P5P, sublingual B12 (only if it seems you lack the "intrinsic factor"...have gastritis?), plus FoloPro/ Rx Deplin and TMG?

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Yes Razzle, that helps tremendously! Thank you.

Marnie, I will have to read that again when I have more brain power.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement