LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Heartburn worse when hungry? Thoughts?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Heartburn worse when hungry? Thoughts?
bcb1200
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, at the end of April, I started to get bad heartburn.

It comes and goes. It usually is worse when I'm hungry and my stomach is empty. It feels much better after I've eaten.

Anyone else get this? Typically people complain about heartburn being worse AFTER they eat..not before.

What's interesting is I had this as one of my very first symptoms back in 2010. It was gone soon after I started treatment, but is now back.

Could it be yeast?

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Could be yeast, I suppose but I think the empty stomach just has more acid that needs calming.

Drinking water frequently can help. Avoid citrus foods and tomatoes for a while.

Mine used to always be worse on empty stomach, like yours. Never on full. I have history of ulcer, though.

DGL, a chewable DGL really helps stop the symptoms within seconds. I only need it now and then but sure wish it had been around with first dx with ucler.

Slippery Elm, Marshmallow Root also helpful.

Have you been assessed for H.pylori ? Treatment has changed a lot over the years. Very specific with 3 Rx, I think.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had this when I had gerd (a few mos after I got bit). I always felt better after I ate. I remember having acid reflux at night too. Bart can cause digestive issues too. Could be h pylori.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My acid reflux has always been worse on an empty stomach also. I think it is the acid, like Keebler says.

Are you taking omeprazole first thing in the a.m.? That has really helped me along with licorice and slippery elm tea.

Check with MD on the licorice tea because it can raise your blood pressure.

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omeprazole and related medications used long-term can cause deficiencies of various nutrients that require acid for absorption (calcium, magnesium, iron, Vitamin B12, etc.).

To counter this problem, take Vitamin C with your supplements and meals.

Another thing to consider is that allergies can cause reflux & heartburn; treating allergies can get rid of the reflux/heartburn.

I get reflux/heartburn when having a sulfite reaction (sensitivity, due to CBS methylation cycle variant). And a Bartonella flare up apparently can also contribute to the heartburn/reflux in my case...

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a duodenal ulcer to me.

Symptoms:

Heartburn is a one of the most noticeable signs of a duodenal ulcer

You will also feel a burning or gnawing sensation in the top of your stomach.

The symptoms of a duodenal ulcer are felt mostly before a meal. This happens when excess acid produced by hunger stimulation, is passed into the duodenum.

Pain will be felt after taking aspirin or drinking orange juice or coffee.

Another symptom of a duodenal ulcer is that about 5 in every 10 people are woken from their sleep during the night by sharp ulcer pains.

With duodenal ulcers, taking a meal or an antacid usually results in a decrease in pain levels

http://www.ulcer-cure.com/Ulcer_Symptoms/symptoms-of-a-duodenal-ulcer.php?sl=1

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maryland Mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2043

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maryland Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Philly nailed what I was about to suggest.

Gastric ulcers (in the stomach) typically manifest with pain shortly after eating, but duodenal ulcers hurt more when the stomach is empty, and eating will bring temporary relief. Your symptoms are quite suggestive of a duodenal ulcer.

Posts: 962 | From Charleston | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement