LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anti-virals

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anti-virals
tricia386
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 29623

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tricia386     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone take anti-virals ??

Did you find they helped??

--------------------
Lyme activated in April 2010 by gardasil vaccine.
DX: Lyme,Babs,Myco,Bart 11/10
Treatment Started: 3/28/11

Posts: 1752 | From Albany, NY | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JBS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 37360

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JBS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been taking them for about six months. At first I took two a day, and thought I noticed some improvement (I have EBV). Insurance would only pay for one a day, and when I went to one a day, can't really tell they helped. Certainly not on my lab scores which show the EBV alive and well.
Posts: 132 | From Texas | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WendyK
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18918

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WendyK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take malerone for the babesia, and holy smokes did it kick some germ butt! The response for me was quite rapid and intense. But it made a huge difference. Still on it to get the stragglers.

--------------------
Wendy

Posts: 253 | From Near Albany, NY | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes and yes. I've taken acyclovir, valtrex and valcyte. Also oxymatrine (which is a chinese herb used to battle Coxsackie B). I've also taken antibiotics. They have both helped. I am much better than I used to be, but not yet well.

For more info see: http://chronicfatigue.stanford.edu/

This is a good page to start on: http://chronicfatigue.stanford.edu/patient_care/

Best, Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WendyK
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18918

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WendyK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Duh, it was too late when I posted that last night - I take anti-malarials, not antivirals... oops!

Although at the very beginning I was prescribed an antiviral because they thought I had shingles due to the face, arm and back tingling. Helped a little, but not much at the time, but it was only for a week.

--------------------
Wendy

Posts: 253 | From Near Albany, NY | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Antivirals - clearing viral proteins.

Humm...MS is believed to be triggered by a retroviral *protein* (antigen). That "left over" protein triggers specific T cells.

Th17 cells are implicated.

(And a deficiency of IgA is implicated...berberine raises IgA levels.)

Berberine halted MS in mice engineered to have MS by impacting those cells. Very current research.

I think what is happening is Bb is infecting the defense cells and rendering them incapable of finishing their job (to destroy ALL of Bb's proteins = some remain).

Those infected defense cells are then targeted to die, which does nothing more than release CWD Bb into the system = ongoing infection.

Bb is very capable of rebuilding "his" cell walls when conditions are right.

Berberine chloride is an antispirochetal according to Chinese doctors.

http://lymepoland.com/pliki/LD-%20zio%C3%85%C2%82a.pdf

It works in MANY ways...MANY!!!

We have to halt Bb from building "his" cell walls (follows the cholesterol pathway to do so) AND hit the CWD form of Bb.

Destroying Bb's cell walls via the MMPs is not a good thing...destroy self proteins too.

Which maybe how Wildcondor succeeded in getting well...i.e., she did many (40+) hyperbaric "dives" which likely impacts the CWD form (via pressure changes) AND did abx. to clear the cell wall form. She hit BOTH forms of Bb.

Berberine activates AMPK which switches on catabolic pathways that generate ATP.

More ATP =

Phosphofructokinase is ***inhibited by*** high concentrations of one of its substrates, ***ATP***...

Phosphofructokinase = PFK.

Bb is PFK dependent!

Bb "uncouples" oxidative phosphorylation in the cells it infects (our defense cells!) = less ATP made = Mitochondial (powerhouse) dysfunction.

That has been the goal...get the level of ATP in the infected cells back up. DNP in Italy (speed up glycolysis -> more ATP), photon (pure energy transfer) -> more ATP...caprylic acid (Axona = medicinal food for Alzheimer's disease) -> more ATP (caprylic acid converts to a ketone in the liver called BHB which crosses the blood brain barrier and enters the cells citric acid cycle
-> more ATP).

ATP drives Mg back into the cells where it combines with ATP as Mg-ATP.

Berberine also inhibits AChE...preventing the breakdown of acetylcholine...vital!

Berberine is also a HMG CoA reductase inhibitor (as are statin drugs and magnesium).

Berberine has been used for malaria. leukemia, cancers, diabetes, osteoarthritis, MS, metabolic syndrome etc.....food for thought.

Berberine increases mitochondrial biogenesis = more "powerhouses" are made...a good thing!

PMID: 22027215 (2012)

What would I do - personally - if I had lyme?

http://www.amazon.com/GlycoX-250-Berberine-250mg-Capsules/dp/B007CMOLV8/ref=pd_sim_hpc_3

3 times a day with meals for one month...pause (pulse) for a couple of weeks and resume. Keep up the plan of action for TWO years.

It appears our major "detox" organs take a hit in lyme too...kidneys and esp. the liver (= fatty liver as seen on an ultrasound only). Long term = not good.

Google: berberine kidneys and berberine liver.

I think the KIND of berberine (chloride) is important...need to make use of the open chloride channels.

Romanian docs (years ago) restored very deficient Mg levels via IV MgCl (used the chloride channels) AND gave abx. to cure a couple of early onset lyme patients.

Mg inhibits HMG CoA reductase (halts the cholesterol pathway), is an anti-inflammatory and antihistamine also.

Many bad viruses make use of the histamine response to invade. They count on our response to set up housekeeping.

Mg and Ca are needed to make our antibodies to Bb....one antibody to Bb's OspB is "damaged" and Mg restored the health of that antibody.

If berberine chloride does in fact help the cells to make more ATP...having sufficient Mg (Cl) available maybe additionally beneficial - so Mg can attach to ATP as Mg-ATP.

MgCl IS available as a topical liquid (Liquimins). Two "eyedroppers" full = approx 400mg or the RDA for Mg. That way bypasses the GI system.

Keep in mind, the kidneys will rebalance the minerals within a 2 hour time frame.

Probiotics ALWAYS!!! No matter which lyme treatment route you go.

BTW...Tamoxifen (man-mad PKC inhibitor) blocks chloride channels. Frontline for our DOGS blocks chloride channels (glutamate gated) in the TICK. We humans don't have glutamate gated chloride channels, but do have other chloride channels which we might be able to make use of since they do appear to be very open and active in lyme.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take Lauricidin and Transfer Plasmcy for EBV and HHV6 respectively. My levels are way down from where they had been before taking these products.
Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Though not the total magic ticket, Olive Leaf Extract (from Seagate) is my anti-viral of choice:

http://www.seagateproducts.com/olive-leaf-extract.html
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take Valtrex 1000 mg 2 x day along with lysine for re-activated herpes virus that seems to have attacked my auditory system. It has been helping. No side effects that I can tell of.

Valtrex is taken with meals and ABX - per LLND recommendations. Lysine is taken with other supplements - early morning and mid afternoon.

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement