LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Steroid inhalers Yes/No?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Steroid inhalers Yes/No?
canadianmama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canadianmama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son and his 2 year old brother both have lyme and asthma.

I was under the assumption that ALL steroids were bad, unless life threatening situation.

My son's step mom is getting a lot of pressure to put the 2 year old on a steroid inhaler, as a preventative measure against future attacks. His asthma is moderate, not severe.

Any thought?

Posts: 372 | From british columbia | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I a on a steroid inhaler and my LLNP said to definitely stay on it.
Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was also told they are okay.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you should ask your lyme doctor as this is such a very important question. As you know, there can be serious consequences to steroids.

I got rid of lyme in 2005. Then, 2 years ago, my PCP gave me a steroid nasal spray to use every day (Nasonex?). After 3 months of using it, I was catching every disease that came down the pike.

So, for me at least, it lowered my immune system and I began catching a lot of illnesses. I stopped using it and started doing the Burrascano weight lifting exercises as he recommends, and my problems with catching many illnesses stopped.

So, the doctor will likely consider all of the circumstances in your son's case before giving an answer. My read of Burrascano is that ALL steroids should be avoided by lyme patients.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I had terrible reactions to even just one puff of a steroid inhaler. Severe anxiety that would not let up for 6 months. It really clobbered all systems in my body (which, then, had not yet been diagnosed with various tick-borne infections).

IMO, ONLY each patient's ILADS educated lyme literate doctor can guide.

Many LLMD say: absolutely no steroids, even inhalers or topical ointment.

Unless a life-threatening emergency and then ONLY with specific antibiotic treatment. Even then, just temporary.

Some say: yes, but that is based solely on each individual's case.

There are MANY safer alternatives. Many.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/20/health/evidence-mounts-linking-acetaminophen-and-asthma.html?_r=1&src=me&ref=general

December 2011

Studies Suggest an Acetaminophen-Asthma Link

Excerpt:

. . . Even a single dose of acetaminophen can reduce the body�s levels of glutathione, a peptide that helps repair oxidative damage that can drive inflammation in the airways, researchers have found. . . .

==============================

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/100984?#000000

Topic: what do STEROIDS actually do to us?

===============================

Steroid inhalers - and other options - discussed here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/118477?#000000

Topic: Symbicort
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Other than lyme, might there be other factors for the asthma?

Mold?

Scents ? Perfumed personal care, household, cleaning products, air "freshener" (which are really toxic). Going totally scent free may be good move.

Chemicals on household textiles, bedding, clothing? Flame retardants? Vinyl (avoid vinyl shower curtains, etc.)

Toys with petroleum and perfumed base? Flame retardants, etc.

------------------

This site may have some good suggestions, even if mold may not be a factor:

http://ilads.org/ilads_media/lyme-disease-videos/

3/4 of the way down:

Identifying Environmental Illness and Mold Exposure in Patients with Persistent Lyme Disease.

Lisa L. Nagy, MD Video $15.

(She is NOT A LLMD, however, she understands the kind of toxicity issues faced by many with lyme. She did not have lyme but overcame very serious MCS. She spoke at the recent ILADS conference.

It's a great presentation to see. The DVD can be ordered. Great detail about toxicity issues also here:

http://lisanagy.com

Nagy�s website

=================================

http://marycordaro.com/blog/

Mary Cordaro�s Healthy & Green BLOG

Safe Home for Health, Happy Families
-

Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Singulair is a non-steroidal asthma maint. drug. It is safe for those with Lyme and may even help with other seasonal allergies, and some also say it helps with herxing.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
An ILADS educated lyme literate ND (naturopathic doctor) should be able to get to the CAUSE (or sort out all the variables)

and they will have many good options, too.

Perhaps diet needs a bit of a change? Additives?
-

faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two different ILads doctors said topical steroids are okay. Inhalers, eye drops too. This may also be an individual case by case decision but I have been told by both LLMD's that topicals are okay.

No shots or pills.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by canadianmama:

My son's step mom is getting a lot of pressure to put the 2 year old on a steroid inhaler...His asthma is moderate, not severe.

Have you considered using a salt pipe/inhaler?
This is dry salt crystals in a tube.
You inhale air that passes over the salt and picks up salt ions.

The salt ions reduce inflammation in the lungs and kill bacteria.
Several people here who have used a salt inhaler said that they were able to reduce or stop using their asthma inhalers.

Edit:

You can read about salt inhalers here:
http://thesaltpipe.co.uk/articles/medical/
http://thesaltpipe.co.uk/articles/

Look around on the site.
You can find this brand and other brands at Amazon and eBay.

[ 06-29-2012, 05:51 AM: Message edited by: Carol in PA ]

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadianmama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canadianmama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for of the info folk! You all rock. I'm passing it along.

Personally, I think a dose of oral steroids made my son(age 11) WAY more symptomatic. Since treating for lyme his asthma is pretty much gone.

Little guys mama suspects that an inhalled steroid dose given at the hospital(croup cough) may be the cause of his increased symptoms.

She's super grateful for advice to help her with her research and choices.

Thanks again for all the help!

P.S. For all those wondering, we are one of those "crazy" families that all get along after divorce, so it may be confusing, but little one is not my son, but my son's brother through his dad and step mom. : )

Posts: 372 | From british columbia | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing to keep in mind is that asthma does have to be kept under good control otherwise if it gets out of control you could then potentially end up having to do oral or IV steroids in order to breathe. An asthma attack can be life threatening.

This is why my LLNP said to absolutely continue taking mine. I am allergic to animals and we have 2 dogs and a rabbit. Without my inhaler I would not be able to breathe.

Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadianmama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36298

Thanks for the reminder Ellen, yes asthma is very serious, and if needed a steroid inhaler is the way to go.

Just trying to gather info to help his mama make the "right" choice.
Or at least a choice she feels she has made with lots of good info on hand.

Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steroids given BEFORE abx = MAJOR problem.

My sis (in order to save her eyesight)...could only see the big "E" on the chart...uveitis caused by lyme...

HAD to resort to steroid shots directly into her eyes...twice.

They did save her eyesight!!!

Ya gotta do what you gotta do to breathe...to take in oxygen and rid CO2.

But...she was misdx'd originally and was given steroids BEFORE abx. = Bb loved that situation!

She quickly ended up bedridden in tremendous pain and ONLY Dr. B's supplements (and abx.) sort of helped.

But...she has now had 6 joints replaced...knees first, then shoulders and now both hips.

13 years from onset.

MgCl is used to prevent status asthmaticus.

Mg levels absolutely DIVE at the outset of lyme....documented...Romanian docs figured out.

Berberine suppresses inflammatory agents-induced interleukin-1beta and tumor necrosis factor-alpha productions via
the inhibition of IkappaB degradation in human lung cells. (Lung inflammation is not good.) PMID: 17681786

Berberine chloride looks to be the best form.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidsgotlyme
Member # 23691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My DD has no choice but to take her Pulmicort daily. Otherwise she would have an attack and that would be much worse!You have to be able to breathe [Smile]

--------------------
symptoms since 1993 that I can remember. 9/2018 diagnosed with Borellia, Babesia Duncani, and Bartonella Hensalae thru DNA Connections.

Posts: 1470 | From Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look at what was posted on the "symbicort" thread today. This came from a top lyme doc:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/118477

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have copd and asthma and am on an inhaled steroid for 4 years now. I really need it to breathe . It functions as an anti inflammatory.

They have many, many, side effects,- severe bruising, infections, eye damage, fungal infections in the mouth and intestine. heart problems etc.
I have had all of these over the 4 year period.

Most people with Asthma have a "Rescue inhaler"
such as (Proventil) If they have a problem they use it . It's not a steroid.
Maybe if they are severe a steroid may be needed
but I would consult a Pulmonary doctor. Lung function test may be needed. Also a test for antitrypsin deficiency (it runs in families)

Posts: 789 | From CT, | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement