LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » help with old wb test

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: help with old wb test
shannon12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shannon12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I know it's been known that you can have a negative western blot test and still have lymes, but when I was tested back in 2007 two years after my fibro diagnoses, my western blot results were: all IGG bands non-reactive, except band 58 which I guess is not specific to lyme, and all co-infections negative.

These tests were ordered by an LLMD. So am I right in saying it is probably correct I did NOT have lyme or a strong chance that is wasnt't lyme? But then I heard you can also have babesia without lyme and the tests can come up negative? and am I correct that ALL bands can be negative and still have lyme? The LLMD I see now(same one I saw in 2007) admits that yes it could have been possible, just want to know what everyone else thinks.

I'm sorry if some of my questions are annoying or stupid, I just need some people with experience in all this and I feel like I need some answers, it helps me get through all this.

BTW: I have a confirmed diagnoses one year ago, above and beyond positive according to cdc, rash and everything and am on aggresive treatment, I'm still trying to figure out how long this has been in my body.

Posts: 229 | From Forty Fort, PA | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhitneyS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhitneyS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im confused...so if you got bit and had a rash-- and are positive-- then you do not really need a western blot test to say otherwise-- you have lyme.

Are you just trying to figure out when you got lyme? Id go by when you were symptomatic, cause thats when it got out of control. You can have it in your body for a long time with your body keeping it at bay. But again, if you got a rash-- then that was when you got it.

Many will never test positive on a WB test, especially if its not from a specialty lab. I'm not a ;ab reading pro, so i don't know which bands stand for what...hopefully someone can help.

Posts: 844 | From CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shannon12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shannon12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi, I didn't have a rash back in 2007, but had fibro symptoms since about 2004, I got the rash one year ago.

So I've had symptoms since 2004 , yes trying to figure out when I had it, as this will guide my treatment better.

A lot of people say the first time infected you may not get a rash, but the second you will, but just wanted to know if all the wb bands can be neg and you still have lyme.

Posts: 229 | From Forty Fort, PA | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shannon12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36149

sorry wasn't clear, as I feel like I'm on another planet right now, just went blind a few minutes ago from black floaters in my vision, I got the rash in june of 2011 and now it's confirmed I have lyme.
Razzle
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it is possible to have Lyme and have no bands positive, especially if using a lab other than IGeneX (such as Quest, LabCorp, etc.).

There are 17 known reasons a test could be negative in the setting of Lyme:

http://www.canlyme.com/seronegreasons.html

This is why people say you should go on symptoms instead of tests.

I've heard it said that 95% of Fibromyalgia patients have Lyme as an underlying cause of their symptoms.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MamaBear11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MamaBear11   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, I won't be of much help. I just found this interesting since I also had a fibro diagnosis for many years, and only ever tested positive on band 58 of my western blot test.

--------------------
Untreated Lyme for 25+ years.
Two kids, too much pain & fatigue, no hope of ever being able to treat.

Posts: 310 | From Northeast | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shannon12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36149

thanks everyone for the responses,

Razzle- interesting the lab i got tested through was quest. I just wish I had the knowledge about lyme I do know so long ago. I'm seeing my doc in one week, I'm going to tell him I want to be treated for babesia. I just can't take this pain anymore.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement