LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » TV ON to Sleep Better

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: TV ON to Sleep Better
groovy2
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All--

In another post I wrote about taking Benadryl to
help me sleep better --

Another thing I do is leave the TV on with the volume turned up just enough so that I can understand what is being said -

One thing that is Super Important for me is that the TV show be something that is Interesting to me-

The TV shows that work best for me are science
shows like PBS Nova and Universe --
with a TV show like those I am asleep in 15 minutes or so and I get deep sleep and dream--

If I try watching some type of crappy sitcom
it dose not work I am up all night --

One thing is that when TV show ends I wake up
immediately -

I have no clue why this is but I just start the TV show playing again and I am asleep in seconds-

So one thing I do is use a VCR or something and play Interesting TV shows Back to Back-

I now have a TV that connects to the internet
and I make a YouTube play list that is 10 hours long and they play back to back--

The MOST Important thing is the TV shows have to be interesting to you or it may not work well--

---Jay--->

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Jay,

I know anything that seems to put us to sleep can seem to help and, indeed, you choose quality programming but, still, from what I've read and how I feel if I've fallen asleep to PBS documentaries, this is not at all good quality sleep.

I think it's a state of hypnosis and that can be refreshing - to a degree. But it is not the same at all as the brain being able to get into the deep stage sleep.

As long as the moderate voice of the announcer is going, the body and brain are put into a deep relaxation (but not true sleep). When the sound shifts or stops, that is why you are awakened.

FIRE HAZZARD

My biggest concern though, in addition to electromagnic problems of any electronic device plugged in within our sleeping space -- and even the off-gassing problem of these petroleum chunks even when they are not very warm but the longer the TV is on, the hotter and more toxic the fumes, even if we don't actually smell them.

Fumes from flame retardants are also emitted. But those chemicals may not be enough to stop a fire from starting.

The major concern, though, is the potential fire hazard of any kind of TV when overheated. The newer HD TVs have a higher incidence of fires.

If you find yourself falling asleep with TV, please get up, turn it off and UNPLUG it -- and be sure your room has good air circulation.

TVs get very warm and they cause the plastic to off-gas more when warm. Even between programs, it's good to turn off and let a set cool down a bit.

There are some wonderful MUSIC CDs that are made especially for sleep, and CD player can be set to turn off after an hour or so so that they heat from that does not cause extensive off-gassing.

It's really best, though, to have no electrics in the bedroom at all, even if off. Even if unplugged and even if tiny as they can emit harsher EMFs even from batteries.

If you can put a CD player farther away from your bed, that's best.

http://www.soundstrue.com/shop/Music-for-Sleep-4-CD-Set/2307.productdetails

Jeffery Thompson, Music for Sleep
-

[ 07-04-2012, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Older, regular tube TVs can pose a fire risk, too, especially when left on for too long.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/jul/22/camberwell-fire-investigation

Fire that killed six people caused by faulty TV set, say investigators

July 2009

. . . a television that was at least a decade old caught fire after being left plugged in . . .

. . . "Initial results have found that the cause of the fire was an electrical fault originating in a portable TV set," . . .

==============================

Flat screens are safest when NOT attached to a wall or encased snugly in a cabinet - and not near a source of heat like a fireplace or heater. And in extreme summer heat, with no air conditioning, the unit can become overheated much more easily.

A few notes of flat screen fire risk:

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-10-12/sony-recalls-1-6-million-bravia-tv-sets-because-of-fire-risk.html

Sony Recalls 1.6 Million Bravia TV Sets Because of Fire Risk

October 12, 2011

http://www.fire-extinguisher101.com/hazards.html

Fire Hazards (Fire Prevention Tips)

Excerpts:

� Assure there's plenty of air space around home entertainment units such as the TV and stereo to avoid overheating.

----------------

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2011/10/are-all-flat-screen-tvs-fire-hazards.html

Are All Flat Screen TVs Fire Hazards? 2011

Last week Sony said it would recall 1.6 million Bravia flat-panel TVs sold worldwide since 2007 because they may melt or catch fire. . . .

. . . But ConsumerAffairs.com has received numerous complaints of potential fire hazards in many other brands of flat screen TVs.

For example, Shirley, of Emerald Hills, Calif., recently reported her 47 inch Philips flat screen, barely three years old, started turning itself on and off by itself.

�This went on for about a week or so and on Sept 30th smoke spewed out from behind the TV that filled the whole room while emitting a plastic burning smell,� Shirley told ConsumerAffairs.com.

�I quickly turned off and unplugged the TV. I was totally shaken as I've never heard nor encountered such a scary thing realizing this could have easily caught fire.�

Sarah, of Temple, Tex., reported a similar incident. �I was watching my Samsung DLP television and a large amount of foul smelling smoke came out of the back of it,� Sarah said. �This television is a fire hazard.�

----------------

http://www.burnsurvivorsttw.org/fsafety/homefirehazard.html

Is the Focal Point of Your Room A Fire Hazard?
Excerpt:

. . . Some electronics manufacturers are trying to find ways to ensure fire safety of their electronics. I have to say that I am impressed that companies, such as Dell and Philips, are using a fire retardant chemical to manufacture flat panel units.

The Consumer Products Safety Commission announced the recall of 12,000 plasma flat screen televisions due to "arcing by capacitors" that could pose a fire risk. . . .

----------------

No computer, whatever the size should be used if one is likely to fall asleep with it. They can post fire or burn risk, too.

Be sure all electronics are unplugged AND cool before going to bed.

Periodically, do a web search for your brand of TV, computer and even refrigerator to be sure there is not a fire safety recall.

My years-old fridge has one such fire safety recall that I only learned about through a network TV article.
-

[ 07-04-2012, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
The importance of good sleep hygiene discussed here:
----------------------------------------

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/89790

Topic: NATURAL SLEEP & ADRENAL SUPPORT
-

AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AuntyLynn         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
groovy2 -

I have been falling asleep for YEARS with the TV on! Never had one burst into flames yet.

Now, I don't have a TV, I just stay up half the night on Lymenet [Cool]

BTW two thumbs up for PBS!
(Watch it online all the time!!!)

Posts: 1432 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep I have Zero worries about TV Bursting into Flames --
I used too stay up half the night
on Lymenet too --Now I fall asleep to PBS --

I dont worry about EMF or what ever--

Unless you live your life in a Faraday Cage you are getting bombarded with Every cell phone call-
TV show/Radio program/satellite dish broadcast/baby monitor/police call/shortwave/wifi/spycam/microwave oven/fire alarm/florescent light/car ignition/hid potlight/ toaster oven/
EMF makin thing/ sun shine/ coffee machine/air conditioner/ alarm clock in the world ---->

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fyi - Your Brain Waves Change When You Watch TV -Low Alpha Waves Can Lead to "Mind Fog"

http://voices.yahoo.com/your-brain-waves-change-watch-tv-low-alpha-349221.html?cat=25

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AuntyLynn         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by groovy2:
Unless you live your life in a Faraday Cage you are getting bombarded with Every cell phone call-
TV show/Radio program/satellite dish broadcast/baby monitor/police call/shortwave/wifi/spycam/microwave oven/fire alarm/florescent light/car ignition/hid potlight/ toaster oven/
EMF makin thing/ sun shine/ coffee machine/air conditioner/ alarm clock in the world ---->

EXACTLY!
Unless you live in a desert cave, there's no real way to avoid this stuff.

I resisted getting wireless internet for years because of this "concern." The one thing I have gotten into the habit of doing...I turn my lit digital alarm clock away from view. But that's a "light" annoyance.

Curiously though, I could fall asleep w/TV running - no problem.

But would I move into an apartment that was next to high tension wires? Definitely not.

Posts: 1432 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fans create white noise that helps me sleep.
Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36441

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I listen to radio talk shows. For some reason, I avoid facing a quiet dark room, so the talk show goes on and I drift off to sleep pretty quick. The radio is set to shut off by itself.

Maybe it helps us shut our brains/thoughts off?

Posts: 161 | From vancouver island | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Groovy2..I was just thinking about you. How are you doing?
Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watch the same shows ;-)

Curious...is it the sound or the light (like scalar wave therapy - changing colors)?

I wonder if it effects REM sleep? No acetylcholine = No REM sleep.

"Tiny luminous rays from a digital alarm clock can be enough to disrupt the sleep cycle even if you do not fully wake.

The light turns off a "neural switch" in the brain, causing levels of a key sleep chemical to decline within minutes."

More important:

"Exposure to noise at night can ***suppress immune function*** even if the sleeper doesn�t wake. *Unfamiliar* noise, and noise during the first and last two hours of sleep, has the greatest disruptive effect on the sleep cycle."

Other neat trivia here:

http://www.biotele.com/facts.html

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement