LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » UPDATE; Infected Cut on Ankle. What do yall do?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: UPDATE; Infected Cut on Ankle. What do yall do?
Tricky Tickey
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 26546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tricky Tickey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cut my ankle across the tibia bone 2 weeks ago. Didn't get stitches, taped it shut. Got tetanus shot, made me feel bad. Saw doc, gave me Keflex. All the Keflex did was give me a headache and yeast. I didn't finish the bottle. I'm sick of antibiotics, but have some Doxy.

It's gotten a scab, then broke open and now is infected again, wide and red & puffy around the edge. I've tried it all, including Vetrycine. I just put turmeric drops on it, covered in coconut oil and Aquaphor. I don't have time to be mixing some crazy concotion together. What do yall do?

[ 08-23-2012, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: Tricky Tickey ]

--------------------
Early Disseminated LD- 2010.
Currently doing acupuncture and yoga.
Negative Igenex (IND & Pos Bands)
ISSUES AFTER: Tendonitis, letter reversal, Low immune system.
PREVENTION:SaltC,Iodine,Humaworm,
Chiropractic.

Posts: 1013 | From In a van down by the river. | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-Hydrogen peroxide is helpful for cleaning.

-Goldenseal tincture (or even the powder and mix it with water) and put it on cuts. Apply a few times per day

-Soak in Hibiclens mixed with water. A friend's mom did that when her son got a cut across the palm of his hand and it was getting to be impossible to keep it from being re-infected because of the location.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricky Tickey
Member # 26546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tricky Tickey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks.

--------------------
Chiropractic.

Posts: 1013 | From In a van down by the river. | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something like an infected wound always worries me because of the possibility of it turning into blood poisoning.

So, if it were me, I would take good probiotics and the Keflex and go back to the doctor for him to look at it. Perhaps you will need a different antibiotic to clear it up.

They might even want to culture it.

I don't play around with this type of thing. With all the MRSA that is around these days, there is also the possibility that your wound is now infected with it, so that's why I would be back at the doc's office to see if they think it is more serious.

Just don't want you to end up in the hospital over this.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Epsom Salt soaks help me with infected toenails...

Have to do it at least 3x/day.

The heat helps draw out the infection.

Also, I agree it should be checked by a doctor...

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You said, "...wide and red & puffy around the edge."

This does not necessarily mean infection, as inflammation around the edges is part of the healing process.
Would you be able to put up a photo?

Something that I've found to help wounds heal is hot compresses as frequently as possible.
Sometimes one or two treatments is enough to improve it.

Razzle is right, a warm soak, even in plain water, will increase circulation and improve healing.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricky Tickey
Member # 26546

Went to urgent care clinic today. got new ABX for Amoxicillin. I know I won't react to that one so bad, I hated that dreadful Keflex, gave me such a headache. It's not gangrene or anything but he explained a treatment protocol for it that includes cleaning out dead cells/tissue. Plus it will help restore new tissue.

-

--------------------
Chiropractic.

Tricky Tickey
Member # 26546

I already went to urgent care today. He examined it thoroughly and assured me it was not drastic, but needed immediate attention. Gave me a treatment protocol for cleaning and to help restore new tissue. New ABX also. He explained that red puffiness isn't always infection but it showed signs it was trying to heal. Just needs some help. I'm headed to get the RX filled now.

--------------------
Chiropractic.

randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forget doctor!! I'd run not walk to the er. This can turn septic real fast.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, after two weeks it should look better than this.

This wound is not infected...there is no white pus, only clear yellowish serum.

What I see is a wet scab...it looks as if it has not been open to the air to dry and heal.
The inflamed edges do not look like infection, but the body's attempt to heal.

I would advise hot compresses every two hours.
This improves blood circulation to the spot so that the injured cells can heal.

I do not advise antibiotic ointment, as that will keep it from drying and healing.

I know people like to cover things up with bandaids, but I've found that a shallow injury like this heals better when open to the air.
One way to protect it yet let it get air is to tape a square of gauze over it...tape at the edges.

Elevate your foot when sitting.
If you sit on the sofa, sit sideways with your foot up.

I don't think that taking an oral antibiotic is going to do much.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AuntyLynn         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good advice Carol! The square gauze will give it protection from bumps but let the air circulate.

That's quite a gash Tricky! Did you trip against something?

I don't think that whitish stuff is an infection either, but rather a wet scab trying to close up the gap.

Please take it easy on yourself for a while!
Got any pool boys around who can wait on you? [Smile]

Posts: 1432 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would use the antibiotics like the doctor recommended. Obviously the site is not healing well. That alone is a sign of infection.

Also, more recent research on wound healing supports keeping wound beds moist and not too dry to promote healing. Neosporin is good for that with most simple home injuries.

The coconut oil may have been too heavy and possibly held in too much moisture. That might be why her leg looks wet in the picture.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Sammy, I agree with you, mostly.
Obviously someone should not take the advice of a stranger online without doing your own research.

The doctor apparently told Arkie that it wasn't infected.
But I know they often prescribe antibiotics "just in case."

The site is not healing well, which is due to poor blood circulation.
That is why I advised hot compresses and told her to put her foot up when sitting.

When the lower extremities are dependant, the blood has a more difficult time returning to the heart.
If you're walking around, the muscle action helps the blood return, but sitting with your feet on the floor slows that down.

I've read about research showing that keeping wound beds moist will promote healing.
But this is shallow, and will fill in from the inside out.

I was an Occupational Health nurse for several years, and I was able to treat wounds like this as soon as they happened.
I gave often used steri-strips to tape the edges together, and gave instructions to leave it open to the air as much as possible.

Obviously, if you're going to be doing something like digging a ditch (or working in the garden) you should cover it to keep it clean.
Sleeping or walking around the house...leave it open.
If it's weeping clear serum, then use gauze.

I'm not trying to pick a fight.
I used to love doing this kind of work and get all excited when I get the chance to do it again. [Smile]

Tricky Tickey
Member # 26546

Carol, your observation is what the doctor advised. Not to cover it, but to apply the special ointment that will help to remove out all the dead scabby tissue and stuff and also promotes new cell growth. He felt that the puffiness around was signs it was trying to heal itself.

I looked at my Dad's protocol, too. He gets those diabetic sores that won't heal & they recommend the 'healing from inside' theory and protocol. just like you said about the circulation in the lower leg; he has to take medication that promotes the circulation.

If there is infection, I know the Amoxicyllin will take care of it. It's very sore right now, I just battered it again with a slam on the cabinet door. I sat down and cried. I've had several bangs & bumps lately, over and over again. Hit my little toe so hard, I think I broke it. And then my left knee.

Banged my left leg on a tree while on a trail ride over a month ago. It's still numb. Then banged the crap out of it again on another trail ride! Rats!!

--------------------
Chiropractic.

Tricky Tickey
Member # 26546

Aunty Lynn, I wish I had a pool boy to wait on me. My husband told me a month ago he is "through" and said he was going to file for divorce. I keep getting bumped and bruised. A little more won't kill me.....

--------------------
Chiropractic.

AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AuntyLynn         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tricky -

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband!
(Which is obviously the last thing you need right now, combined with all your other stress.)

Been there - and that kind of break up is never easy... you surely have my sympathies!

As for the bumps and bruises... you sound like me! I am always catching the edge of coffee tables with my shin (too tall to see anything at knee level?) and catching my shoulders on door moldings! But for the moment, I would definitely avoid any trail rides... M'kay?

Posts: 1432 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricky Tickey
Member # 26546

Update!!

The cut on my ankle was still not getting better after both rounds of antibiotic (last round was 10 days Amoxicillin)............went to PCP and they immediately called the wound care lady to assess it. They cleaned it out with much pain....many shots to deaden it. After cleaning, they cultured it, wrapped it up and set me up to see her again 4 days later.

Tuesday: removed the bandage. Results from the culture show I have a bacteria within the tissue area call Pseudomonas Aeruginosa. She told me it's not in my bloodstream but in the surrounding tissue. It's very resistant to antibiotics. Now I'm on CIPRO for 10 days, 500 mg 2 x daily. She said it works well for this bacteria.

I'm praying for healing. This bacteria is dangerous.

--------------------
Chiropractic.

map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tricky, the super bacteria(s) of today are so scary. Please use a firm and confident attitude when speaking with these medical people. After all you know more about serious bacteria then they. Scary thought also!

You are already immune compromised and they need to be vigilant in your care. I hope the CIPRO works. No matter how bad it makes you feel, you must follow thru with rx.

Take care and take charge of you.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

Thank God they were able to pinpoint the problem.

Praying for your complete recovery!

TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK. Now that you have culture results, they aren't shooting in the dark anymore. You should notice a big difference on the Cipro.

But, if the infection is still there when the Cipro runs out, get right back to the doc for more.

There are a lot of super bugs around nowadays.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a suggestion... Maybe try colloidal silver spray & infrared or red light...? I heard of someone who had diabetes who did this with a red laser from Staples & it prevented them from having to have their foot amputated.

LitghWorks from SOTA has both red & infrared light. It's around $300 or so.

http://www.syrolight.com/info/effect-of-nasa-light-emitting-diode-led-irradiation-on-wound-healing

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is where I use my little green laser that works on so many different things. Any cut or bruise, sprains, heals up quickly, even at my age!
and I clear my tonsils and lymphatics with it when indicated. A few seconds of the green photons bring back order into the area and start healing. I carry it in my purse! I have had mine for years. Grandchild sticks finger in door - knows to run for green laser.

www.andreannarainville.com - developed the use of it with Lyme in mind. Watch the short video of the "Laser Balancing under Therapies.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricky Tickey
Member # 26546

Thanks!! For all the suggestions. Now I got something to work with.

--------------------
Chiropractic.

Tricky Tickey
Member # 26546

I've just been advised by wound care to soak the open wound in 1/4 part bleach water because it kills Pseudomonas. This thing is very very painful when redressing the wound~

--------------------
Chiropractic.

Carol in PA
Member # 5338

I think you really need to use LED light therapy to speed the healing.
The light transmits energy to the ATP in the mitochondria in the cells,
helping the cells to function better and heal.
The cheaper units have fewer LED's and so cover less area.

Sparkle's suggestion to use colloidal silver spray is good.

When I looked for silver spray at iHerb.com, I saw that one of the reviewers said that
she used it to clear up her child's boils.

In nursing, a weak solution of bleach water was sometimes used to rinse the mouth to kill bacteria.
One fourth part bleach seems too strong to me.

Can you expose the wound to sunlight?
This should be helpful, although slower than using LED lights.

sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the pain of the dressing changes is intolerable, talk with your wound care doctor. They can prescribe a dose of a pain killer to take 30-60min before the treatments.

Please follow the doctors instructions and do the bleach soaks. This is one very BAD bug. You know this, you've been trying to heal this wound and fight the infection for a month now. This is not normal.

Pseudomonas is notorious for being hard to kill. Do what you can to get rid of this at home. I don't want you to get sicker and end up in the hospital. It worries me.

Please take care Arkie.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricky Tickey
Member # 26546

I'm all for light therapy but don't have access to it. My wound care nurse seems to really know her stuff. Now, she called me back today after I sent her a new pic of it. That's when she suggested the bleach soak, explaining that it's an age old way of treating it. I asked her about applying oil of oregano within it and she said she cannot recommend anything that's not approved. But, she's also cool and gives me the impression she uses natural stuff herself, just can't recommend on a professional level. I do understand why

Sammy:
This wound is now nearing 7 weeks. Of course, it was my neglect that got me here but I've got to quit beating myself up over it Number 1, I shoulda gotten stitches but then again, I still woulda gone to the Ozarks and went on trail ride & jumped in the river, so it may have gotten me anyway.

The Cipro should kick in good in a couple of days. I've been on it since Tuesday night; that makes 9 doses. My wound care nurse said that we should see a difference next week; if not, then I don't know

This whole thing blows me away I believe that the current stress issues in my life are inhibiting healing Yall would not believe all that has taken place, it's just unreal. My husband is carrying me on his insurance ( he owes me ) but I'm still paying out of pocket for everything until the deductible is met.

I'm so appreciative of each and every comment here . It gives me options for other directions to take.

--------------------
Chiropractic.

Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Please check with your nurse before you mix up a bleach solution, so that you don't make it too concentrated.
In nursing school, we learned about Dakin's solution, a very dilute bleach/water mixture.

Dakin�s solution is a dilute solution containing sodium hypochlorite and boric acid,
used as an antiseptic in the treatment of wounds.

Some pharmacies stock Dakin's Solution, but you can make it by mixing
1 or 2 tsp. of liquid bleach to 1 liter of sterile saline solution.

The solution should then be further diluted before using for wound care:
one part Dakin's to three or four parts saline or sterile water.
Dakin's solution is also good for dressing changes.

How to use Dakin's
Pour, apply or spray onto the injured area.
When used on wounds, Dakin's solution can be poured onto the affected area as an irrigation or cleanser.
It is also used to wet certain types of wound dressings (e.g., wet to moist dressing).

Sources:
http://www.ehow.com/info_7831780_types-solutions-cleanse-wounds.html
http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-62261-Dakin's+Misc.aspx?drugid=62261&drugname=Dakin's+Misc

Regarding the use of silver spray to the wound,
Silvadene Cream used to be commonly used on burns to prevent infection.

I looked up Silvadene at Amazon, and they carry several brands of gels with silver to prevent infection.
You can also read reviews.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=silvadene

Medline SilvaSorb Gel and Ultra Colloidal Silver Gel look good.
The Water Jel Burn Jel can be used to relieve the pain...it must have a numbing agent in it.

I used to spray small wounds with a numbing throat spray before I scrubbed them under running water.
That way I could clean the wound without the injured person complaining of pain.

Would you be able to post the recent photo?

Tricky Tickey
Member # 26546

Carol: I am using the Dakins' solution. That is how show told me to mix it. It did burn, but today the wound seems to be better than yesterday. This is a first. Didn't hurt near as bad today, either. I see light at the end of the tunnel.

--------------------
Chiropractic.

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They sell some silver products at regular drugstores. CVS carries their own brand of colloidal silver gel. It's about $8 or so. A spray might be better for a wound. They usually have it in healthfood stores.

You can get a red laser pointer at a stationary or office supply store.

Search " red laser, wounds " on google for more info.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricky Tickey
Member # 26546

I used a Rife machine today. It has a setting for this particular bacteria.

--------------------
Chiropractic.

willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for willbeatthis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am praying for your healing... It sounds like you are doing all good things... I am sorry that you are going through all this...

I agree with the laser addition. My bionic has been the best investment I have made to date... My body is healing more rapidly than I have ever seen... Now, I don't know if that is because the drugs are out of me or if Lyme has been knocked down but it is remarkable.

Sparkle is great about the the light works I believe... Hang in there... We are ROOTING for you...

Posts: 859 | From Southeast | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement