LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Fibrin Sheath in Port

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fibrin Sheath in Port
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just checking to see who else might have had a fibrin sheath occur inside their port and what they did to resolve it.

I can easily flush and use a pump to administer my IV meds. Nursing service said to go back to the radiology center who put the port in and have them administer a sheath buster drug.

LLMD said she never had any port patients have this problem. I have been told this is common after a port is in about 6 months.

Any one else go through this and what did you do?

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you can use the port with no problem, how did you find out there was a fibrin sheath in there?

When I had issues with my PICC line, I basically had to get the line replaced to fix the problems.

The declotting drugs didn't work for me because the problem was usually the end of the PICC would get stuck up against my blood vessel and stop working.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The nurse that comes to draw blood every two weeks said that after some time of having a port, fibrin can collect at the point that the catheter enters the port.

If the port is malfunctioning, as a kink or something else that would terminate the line, you would not be able to push a saline flush easily through it and I can taste the saline when I flush so I know it is going in.

The fibrin just stops a blood return when you hook up so the nurse can't draw blood. It can get worse and stop fluid from going in if it isn't addressed.

I was told to go to the radiology lab that inserted the port to use something like Cathflow to dissolve the fibrin sheath.

Ports have less things that can go wrong compared to a picc line. This one is supposed to be easy to fix. If the drugs don't work, which I am told they do in the majority of the time, the port has to be replaced.

--------------------
Faithful

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was unable to flush or get blood return only a month or two after my port was placed. I was very upset. Ports are not supposed to have as many problems as PICCS. Mine has been more of a problem than my PICC ever was.

I had to go to the hospital, they did x-rays to verify placement, and administered cathflo. The cathflo cleared the clot and fibrin sheath and my port worked great for awhile.

It frequently clots off so I have to use cathflo once weekly to prevent the regrowth of the fibrin. This at least keeps the tip from closing off.

The IV therapy nurses at the hospital told me that some people just develop fibrin faster. It is your body's way of dealing with the foreign body/catheter. We recognize that it doesn't belong and our body is trying to protect itself.

Make sure that you are flushing well before and after your infusions, and extra with blood draws. Make sure to use heparin 100u/ml 5cc to lock your port after each use. Clamp your port while you are pushing in the last cc of your heparin. These things can help prevent reflux and the build up of blood in your catheter.

If you cannot withdraw blood don't ignore that sign, make an appt with the doctor to get it treated right away.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

I am in Colorado now on vacation. Told the LLMD about it and will go to the Radiology Center at the hospital where the port was done to get the cathflow done.

Nurses said they can't do cathflow.

Sammy, they let you administer the cathflow each week yourself?

--------------------
Faithful

sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nurses with special training can give cathflo. Sounds like your infusion service might not allow it though.
Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sammy is right: nurses are always the ones to do the Cath-Flow. I guess your home-health co won't do it for some reason. It's not unusual to need it now and then. And, yes, take care of it ASAP, before it gets worse.

Although it is much more convenient to get blood draws from the port, and it is supposed to be ok, 2 home nurses, the very best ones, who were sticklers for taking care of the port, as I am,

wouldn't do it. The said that it can clog up the port, and compromise it. That it is better to be stuck and to be more careful with the port.

So my suggestion to both faithful and sammy is to avoid blood draws from your port. The life and operability of the port is the most impt thing. sammy, your port shouldn't need Cath-Flow so

often, unless it's some physiological anomaly causing the frequent fibrin sheaths to develop. But try this and see if it helps.

One other thing: I used to have a problem getting a blood return, when I could flush fine. I'm not sure why. And if it's occasional, that's not an issue. But it was often positional. I'd

have to try different positions, and then we'd get a blood flow. Now I haven't had that problem in ages. Who knows why then and not now?? But try that, too, faithful.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Finally got the catflo prescription set up. Boy is that stuff expensive. Hopefully, one time will do the trick.

No more blood draws from my port. My LLMD said that most of the infusion companies she deals with won't do the blood draw from the port. That is one reason she isn't seeing this happen with her other port patients.

I can access my port just fine and until a week ago, didn't have any problems with getting a blood return. I do have a tiny port, but I am pretty good at hitting it dead on every time now. Last week, I couldn't get blood no matter how I angled it and I even stuck myself an extra time trying to get a return.

Thanks for all who contributed to this thread. It is very comforting to know I can find someone who has knowledge and experience in the issues that can come up with a port.

--------------------
Faithful

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement