LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Do the well known LLMD's allow antibiotic breaks?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do the well known LLMD's allow antibiotic breaks?
lax mom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am completely wiped out from my antibiotics and need a break.

Do the well-known LLMD's like Dr H or Dr K, etc, allow antibiotic breaks? or do they like for their patients to keep going full steam ahead?

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I've read that they do, indeed, suggest antibiotic breaks.

You may want to take a few key herbal supplements during the break if it is for more than a couple days, though.

If you are wiped out by the abx (antibiotics), I wonder if your liver support may need some adjustment?

Bottom line: I would hope your doctor is ILADS educated and a true LLMD - and that he or she will guide you in how to figure out when you need a little break and how to do so wisely.

An IV of Glutathione (a key liver tool) has helped many in your position to better handle abx. There are other ways of getting glutathione, as well as other ways of helping your body make and manage that, too. Here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030792;p=0

LIVER SUPPORT & and several HERXHEIMER support links, too.

Some KIDNEY support detail, and

LL ND (naturopathic) link here, too, with articles regarding all kinds of support supplements.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler,

For my first few months of treatment, I was taking Burbur, Parsley, Pekana Renelix, apo-hepat and Itires 2x/day, every day, like clockwork. I felt like it wasn't helping (not in an obvious way), so I stopped...do you think that may have been a mistake?

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes YOU HAVE TO STOP in the interest of your HEALTH!!!! You will gain nothing by ending up in the hospital with a severe herx.

I did plenty of stopping.. but usually for only 1-3 days.

PS .. I didn't answer your question because I don't know the answer! [Wink] My LLMD is well-known and he knows bad herxes are detrimental to us.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Whew, Thanks for the quick re-assurance. I was scared to tell my LLMD that I needed a short break.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does he have to know... ? [Razz]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coffee71
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coffee71     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD also well known (not one of those two you mentioned) was absolutely fine when I expressed my feeling that I needed to take a break from abx even though he was about to put me on a new combo.

He also took my concerns very seriously when I started to slip backwards very rapidly in January this year.

Over 4 years of treatment my abx breaks lasted from a month first time and then I was able to last longer without abx.

As my doctor explained to me after certain period of taking abx it is necessary to take a break to let immune system take over a defense of the body.

As healing process progress (in my case slowly over past 4 years) less abx is needed and breaks are much longer.

Posts: 191 | From va | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
How sad, though, to have a doctor with whom you can't be honest.

They cannot possibly be a good doctor to you if they don't know. He or she may WANT to know. And may have a solution for you.

On the other hand, with LLMDs so scare, sometimes we do have to improvise on our own.

You might talk to those in all your area lyme support groups (draw a circle on the map - go for a 100 mile radius to find the groups - well, you do have the ocean, so there will be less territory to cover).

Call them all and ask to be put in contact with those who may have the same doctor. Find out from them, how this matter might have been handled.

Of course, with personality differences, you may not get 100% objective feedback but it's important to hear others' experiences.

Then you may feel more comfortable telling your doctor that you really NEED to do something different here.

As for the supplements you tried before, I've not done some of those. I steer away from alcohol tinctures for daily use as my body does best limiting those.

If your body did not do well, though, you may need to put the tincture drops in more water. That often makes a huge difference, even in a cup of water.

Backing down on the dose, too, can be helpful.

Can you find a LL ND either for your main guidance (if they can prescribe abx in your state), or for adjunct support?

You might try OLE for a basic back-up approach:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030549;p=0

OLIVE LEAF EXTRACT - LINKS
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see Dr. H. and the answer is yes. During the breaks I take herbs.
Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see one of the top LLMDs. He sent a nurse to get me started on my IVs. That nurse told me that he (the nurse) handles only Lyme patients for the top three LLMDs in this area. I asked how they compare. He said that mine was the most conservative and that if he had Lyme that is the one he would choose.

My LLMD does not allow herxing to get out of control. But he seems to prefer switching meds more than breaking. He was upset when my catheter fell out and I missed a week of Rocephan. He was right: I plummeted!

Three things I absolutely need: milk thistle 2xday or more, Florastor, Fluconazole to control yeast.

--------------------
DOCTOR: "I don't think you are sick."
PATIENT: "We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think you are a doctor."

Posts: 697 | From Northern California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Thanks guys for the reassurance and advice. I had a follow up phone consult today and mentioned my problem to the Dr who was very understanding. I had nothing to worry about...now I have a stronger flare protocol and a plan to combat these weekly flares (that I thought were coming at random).

I had been letting the flares come, seemingly out of the blue, but my LLMD noticed a pattern. Now I will be prepared.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement