LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Detox bath

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Detox bath
Thewino
Member # 39086

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thewino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am very new to this and have gleaned a lot of information from reading this message board.

I took a detox bath last night with two cups of Epsom salts and 32 ounces of Hydrogen Peroxide in warm water.

I stayed in the bath a little longer than the twenty minutes suggested, maybe thirty five minutes.

I don't feel any different today. Do people always get a reaction from this type therapy?

Thank you.

--------------------
Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been --J. Buffett

All of my replies should not be taken as medical advice as they are my opinions only and I am not a physician.

Posts: 55 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Well, you were correct to have the water warm (and not hot). Most of the trouble comes from getting too hot. That heat can really clobber some.

But, even with warm water, 20 minutes is the suggested maximum time -- because it can take a while to work up to that and even 20 minutes in WARM can clobber some folks.

As you did okay with a warm bath for 35 minutes, your body is probably fine to tolerate that time in the future (maybe even gradually work up to longer).

I thought was able to work up to an hour in warm water. But, still, it did make me very tired for about 2 days. So, I was not as fine with that full hour as I thought.

Still, your body may need less time sometime in the future so do just listen and get out soon after you may get a sense that you've had enough.

But, as long as it goes smoothly, just enjoy the cozy warm bath for the time your body comfortably allows (as long as you feel fine afterward and the next day, too).

Still, don't get too hot. Keep it cozy warm.

Rinse in just a bit cooler water, but still warm. Best to not shock your adrenal system with any sudden change in temperature.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thewino
Member # 39086

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thewino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much for the thorough reply.

Is the reason for the detox bath to rid your body of the dead toxins?

And, by doing this, do some people get a reaction after the bath and some people do not?

Thank you
Thewino

--------------------

All of my replies should not be taken as medical advice as they are my opinions only and I am not a physician.

Posts: 55 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your body absorbs magnesium through the skin.
Epsom salts have magnesium.

The liver needs magnesium when it makes glutathione to detoxify poisons.
When the Lyme bacteria die, they leave behind neurotoxins (nerve poison).
Neurotoxins cause some of the Lyme symptoms.

The liver also uses other things to make glutathione, so if you provide these as "liver support" you'll be helping the liver.

Magnesium
Fish oil
Acetyl L-carnitine
Alpha lipoic acid
N-acetyl cysteine
Silymarin, milk thistle
CoEnzyme Q10
Undenatured whey, for amino acids

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
TheWino,

Carol posted good detail for liver support.

You ask why others have sometimes reacted badly to baths.

While that is often due to their getting too hot, stressing the liver WAY too much from the heat,

the other reasons listed in this thread are also to be considered, such as too much exertion for the adrenals, the heart, etc.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=120095;p=0

AVOID HOT BATHS. Here's why.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I put 1 cup Epsom Salt and 1/2 cup baking soda in a bath and it relaxes me.

I give my son an Epsom Salt bath every few days and it really helps calm him down. On other days, I rub Magnesul cream on his back for the calming effect of the Magnesium.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlf2012
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlf2012     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've only been using epsom salts. Never tried it with peroxide. What's the purpose of the peroxide?
Posts: 463 | From Sandusky, Ohio | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thewino
Member # 39086

Thank you everyone for the help. JLF: here is some detox advice I found on the net and the reasoning for each ingredient.

Here's the recipe for the detox bath and the explanation as to why it's effective. You can use the peroxide you buy at Walmart or any drug store--3% solution. You can cut it back to 2 cups epsom salt and 1 qt of hydrogen peroxide if your tub is small. This is the recipe that Dr. David Jernigan came up with and many people get good results with it. I do this detox bath at least 2 times a week.

Ingredients:

* 4 cups Epsom Salt (Magnesium Sulfate).

* 32 fluid oz Hydrogen Peroxide (3%, as found in grocery store).

* ~Optional~ 2-4 Tablespoons of Ginger (fresh grated) wrapped in a piece of cheese cloth or in a tea ball. An old piece of nylon hose also works well too. (We usually skip this part as it really isn't necessary, but you can do it if you'd like). The purpose of putting fresh ginger in the bath is to open up the pores of the skin so that the ingredients can be absorbed more easily. But the dry brushing will do that too, so this is optional.

Instructions:

* Dry Skin Brush entire body for five minutes before bath, removes the layer of dead skin for better absorption You start with the feet working upwards, hands move towards shoulders, torso upwards toward the heart, back upwards and over shoulders towards heart. Light pressure in areas where skin is thin, and harder pressure on places like soles of feet.

* Fill the bath tub with WARM water. Add Epsom Salt, Hydrogen Peroxide and Ginger "ball" (if you use it). Swirl water around, then get in the tub for 20 minutes.

Shower off after wards so skin doesn't get dried out.

I usually notice immediate results each time. Pain reduced, nauseousness reduced (when I have it), plus it gives me more energy, or sometimes it relaxes me if I do it in the evening when I'm tired.

Dr. David Jernigan explains:

Actions of Hydrogen Peroxide/Epsom Salt/Ginger Bath

* Hydrogen Peroxide - a simple, nontoxic molecule of H2O2 that is beneficial in oxidizing (breaking down) toxins as well as killing anaerobic microbes. It will also detoxify pesticides and petroleum-based toxins and oxidize metals. Hydrogen peroxide is also naturally produced by macrophages in the body to kill harmful bacteria. Most harmful bacteria are anaerobic and cannot survive in the presence of oxygen or hydrogen peroxide. Cancer cells are often very sensitive to increases in oxygen and cannot survive in oxygen-rich environments. When hydrogen peroxide is applied topically to a cut, the resulting bubbling is from the rapid release of free oxygen and, more importantly, from the idling of the bacteria in the cut. Friendly bacteria are aerobic and need and thrive on oxygen.

* Epsom Salts (Magnesium Sulfate) - Recent research has shown that when one soaks in a bath of magnesium sulfate, both magnesium and the sulfate independently increase measurably in the blood and urine. Magnesium sulfate helps stabilize Hydrogen Peroxide so that its ultimate breakdown into H2O and free oxygen is more gradual and functional to the process of benefiting the body. This research documents the very real beneficial aspects of this bath therapy. The Epsom Salt Council reports the following about the benefits of Magnesium in Epsom Salt baths.

Magnesium, a major component of Epsom Salt (magnesium sulfate), is the second-most abundant element in human cells and the fourth-most important positively charged ion in the body. Magnesium also helps to regulate the activity of more than 325 enzymes and performs a vital roll in orchestrating many bodily functions, from muscle control and electrical impulses to energy production and the elimination of harmful toxins.

Thewino

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement