LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » cholestrymine herx or bad reaction?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: cholestrymine herx or bad reaction?
Talktel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Talktel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,

I'm not yet by an LLMD, and am fending for myself on my own with Lyme and co, and colon issues.

I started taking cholestrymine, actually for my gut issues. Only one dose a day, but I'm taking it already for two weeks plus.

I'm still on bicillin -which I don't think is working anymore- but maybe its better than nothing.

my appointment to the other LLMD is end of Nov.

TOday I had an awful day, after I took CMS, I got very neauseus, and felt faint and on the verge of blacking out. Terrible headache too.

I had taken it on an empty stomach, so I ran to eat. I feel better tonight interms of that.

My Lyme sx are terrible, especially the vertigo. I am literally homebound because of that.

I would stop the CMS to see if the way I felt is from that, but my gut gives me no choice but to stay on it.

Could this possibly be a herx from the CMS, or am I just sliding downhill because of not being treated adequately?

I'm on bicillin, malarone and art, and now Cholestromyine. (only one scoop a day) And not under a doc's care yet.

I wqas supposed to go to a chiro to alleviate sx, but I couldn't make my way there yet due to personal and family emergencies.

So is this a lyme spiral downward or a CMS herx?Anyone familiar with this?

--------------------
RI

Posts: 440 | From New York | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It can definitely make you "herx."

CSM made my stomach problems unbearable. I stopped taking it and never looked back.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talktel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Talktel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How did it make your stomach problems unbearable?

In terms of the colon, it is better with the CSM.

--------------------
RI

Posts: 440 | From New York | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bet your colon is better because of the constipating effect of CSM...since you had the opposite problem prior to taking CSM.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what did TuTu take in place of it??

what did it make you feel like?

Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talktel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7980

yes, colon is better and that's why I took it.

--------------------
RI

Talktel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7980

I don't know for sure if its the CSM.

I felt shaky, weak, nauseas and like I'm blacking out. I'm feeling fluey and vertigo is terrible, but I'm not sure is that CSM related or not.

Does anyone know if it makes one very dizzy? Or is it my reg Lyme sx?

--------------------
RI

nonna05
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what bad effects? How did they feel ?

I've tried over 10 to take this and always go off , for many reasons,,,sometimes because of time.

TuTu what did you do instead?

Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talktel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7980

Did TuTu take this for the colon, which is why I started it?

I just figured it would beneficial for the Lyme at the same time.

If I go off CSM, my colon is trouble again.

What do I do?

--------------------
RI

RZR
Member # 20953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RZR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried CSM twice before and could not tolerate it....nausea, nervousness, constipation, etc.

Now I have been taking 4 packs daily for 3 weeks. LLMD told me to start out with a very small amount a couple times a day and go up to 4 packs daily.
It took me 2 weeks to get up to full dose.

To avoid constipation, I eat All Bran cereal for breakfast.

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

Posts: 2329 | From SouthEast | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talktel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7980

For me the constipation part is great!

That's why I started it in the first place, because of an inflamed colon which gave me the runs.

I am better now with the cholestromyne, although by no means constipated.

What made you be able to tolerate it now, in terms of the nausea etc, when you couldn't tolerate it before?

I'm just taking one scoop a day.

--------------------
RI

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't take anything to "replace" it.. I was only taking it for toxin removal. I felt MORE toxic. YUCK!!

Yes, I got constipated but it also gave me right quadrant pain .. ended up with GB surgery about a year or two later.

It was also a nightmare trying to work it in around other meds. Hated the whole enchilada!! [Wink]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talktel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7980

GB surgery because of taking CSM?

--------------------
RI

Lymetoo
Member # 743

well, I can't blame it on CSM but it sure didn't help!!

The abx were probably the #1 issue.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Talktel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7980

That's always a concern with abx!

I have to figure out what to do with the colon. My conventionalGI doc didn't have how to treat me.

Lax Mom reccomended to me a fiber product to replace the CSM.

ANyone have colon issues and have it resolved with that? It s not UC, just an inflammation of the colon.

TIll I get that product on Monday, (I just ordered it) do I continue with the CSM?

What do I do for the colon instead?
I'll look at the post tomorrow morning.

--------------------
RI

D Bergy
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried Turmeric or the more potent form of Curcumin?

I use it and Ginger to prevent inflammation from Crohns Disease. It also helps with joint pain and any other inflammation related pain. Lots of other beneficial properties particularly for someone with Lyme Disease.

Good luck.

Dan

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RZR
Member # 20953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RZR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Talktel:
For me the constipation part is great!

That's why I started it in the first place, because of an inflamed colon which gave me the runs.

I am better now with the cholestromyne, although by no means constipated.

What made you be able to tolerate it now, in terms of the nausea etc, when you couldn't tolerate it before?

I'm just taking one scoop a day.

I think the key to tolerating it this time was gradually increasing the dosage. I would stay at the same dose for 2-3 days and then bump it up a little.

I am using it for detox.

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

Posts: 2329 | From SouthEast | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talktel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7980

I don't have tumeric or ginger at home.

And since I ordered the other product, I can't order other items, since finances are always an issue with me0.

So until I get that on Monday, I don't know what to do for colon.

--------------------
RI

D Bergy
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use cholestryamine to slow down my intestinal process since I had part of my Illium removed because of fistulas.

I also am familiar with its ability to remove mold spores and E-Coli and other irritants from the intestinal tract.

With Lyme, I am not sure what mechanism is supposed to help with the disease. I would think that the irritant in this scenario could be Lyme itself, which is really not going to be effectively removed by this method, or another pathogen.

Can someone explain the concept of using Cholestyramine in this situation?

Dan

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement