LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Antibiotics and pancreatitis

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Antibiotics and pancreatitis
prayerworks
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 37602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for prayerworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so tired of this mental state of worry all the time. Everytime I think I get over one worry here comes another. Allergies....high blood pressure, etc.

Now today I started to feel a pain in my upper left side just beneath my breast that goes to my back. It's a burning type gas pain, but bearable. I looked up azithromycin and rifampin which are the two meds that I am taking and both can cause pancreatitis. Now I am freaking out!

Is it common to develop pancreatitis while on long term antibiotics specifically the two that I am taking?

I don't know how much more worry I can take. I try to rationalize and say to myself that I have only been on the azithromycin 8 weeks and the rifampin two weeks while others here have been on meds for years but my mind is not helping me. I am so terrified of additional suffering and pancreatitis is worse than lyme in my opinion.

[ 12-18-2012, 06:04 AM: Message edited by: prayerworks ]

Posts: 138 | From US Virgin Islands | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Took me forever to figure out the subject line. But once I opened this.. I got it.

OK.. Very doubtful you got pancreatitis this quickly and I'm pretty sure pancreatic pain is in the center of your stomach. I've had pancreatic pain and that is where mine was.

could be gas??? from yeast??

Call your LLMD tomorrow.

[group hug]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been around lyme patients for at least 10 years. In my experience it is not common at all for a lyme patient to get pancreatitis. Never knew of any.

What jumps out at me is your need for an anti-anxiety medication. Read through your post. You are constantly worried and terrified.

Call your lyme doctor and tell her you can't stand all of this worrying anymore. Tell her you need to get out of this terrified/worried state. Treat the anxiety. Get into a normal frame of mind and you will be much better able to heal.

Anxiety is probably the most common lyme symptom. It is horrible. You don't need to suffer with this. You have been suffering with this for a long time, and your case is pretty bad. Way past time to do something about it.

Here is what I found regarding zith injections:

"Post-Marketing Experience:

Adverse events reported with azithromycin during the post-marketing period in adult and/or pediatric patients for which a causal relationship may not be established include:

Allergic: Arthralgia, edema, urticaria and angioedema.

Cardiovascular: Arrhythmias including ventricular tachycardia and hypotension. There have been rare reports of QT prolongation and torsades de pointes.

Gastrointestinal: Anorexia, constipation, dyspepsia, flatulence, vomiting/diarrhea rarely resulting in dehydration, pseudomembranous colitis, pancreatitis, oral candidiasis, pyloric stenosis, and rare reports of tongue discoloration."

http://www.drugs.com/pro/azithromycin-injection.html

Drugs.com is a respected website for info on meds. You will see the reference to pancreatitis in the last 10 words of the above quote. It is saying that no causal relationship can be established between taking zith and getting pancreatitis.

I didn't look up the other med. I just have never heard of these being common side effects of these meds.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prayerworks
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 37602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for prayerworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Lymetoo and TF for your replies.

TF I understand what you are saying and trust me when I tell you I am disgusted with myself regarding the anxiety. It is no way to live.

But in regards to the stomach pain I am concerned and i think it is a legitimate concern. Ok so maybe it is not pancreatitis, but then what could it be? Is this common with lyme and co?

The pain is a burning type pain in my left upper side that goes around to my back. It is constant and since yesterday afternoon I still have it. It is not unbearable, just there. I also feel nauseaus and there are gurgling noises.

My gallbladder was removed two years ago due to polyp. While I do suffer with stomach problems I have never had pain in my left side. It is usually on my right side.

Posts: 138 | From US Virgin Islands | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlcd1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlcd1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you should have it checked out. It could be liver or kidney. My pregnant sister went to emergency room with same pain last week and they said she had a swolen kidney, to drink more water.

It could be nothing but I would get it checked if it persists.

Posts: 908 | From Albany | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymedin2010
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 34322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymedin2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have just about the same thing. �No doctor or LLMD has been able to tell me what it is as of yet.

The pain started 6-7 years ago. �It would just come and go and was not very painful at all. �It was very localized to the size of a marble at first and on my left side, just below my rib cage.

In Nov 2010 I felt a bit more pain after shoveling snow and it came and went for a few days then went away altogether.

After getting chronically sick in May 2011 and 2 months into treatment the pain came back and felt like knife stabbing pains and it felt a bit larger. �I had a scan done and they could only find a slightly enlarged pancreas and nothing more.

By Oct I switched to Doxy and the pains and many of my symptoms melted away. �As the effects of Doxy wore off it came back again as mild stabbing pains. �When I switched from Doxy to Amoxi all hell broke loose after slightly less than 2 months.�

The pain came back and this time I had slight disturbances, like bubbling or gurgling, but very mildly. �The pain and disturbances also started to creep up on my right side by this time.

A few weeks later and after ABX failing remission I got desperate and tried salt c. �After 1 month on high dose salt I developed some really disturbing bubbling and gurgling, and movement disturbances along with off/on stabbing pains at the afflicted area.

Then I started Doryx, which is a time release form of Doxy. �Again the bubbling and gurgling stopped and stabbing pains subsided once again, along with some other symptoms that improved.

I ran out of Doryx for about 2 weeks and got hit with a flu like virus this past 3 days. �I had 102 fever and the stabbing pain, disturbances, bubbling/gurgling went to an all time high. �I had movement, twitches, all over my body in fact, but nowhere near as the mass of disturbances paralleled and below the diaphragm.

I also now have these major tremors and vibrations that are even more pronounced and do not want to go away. � �I am trying to get my Doryx back quickly now. �Also LLMD agreed to an abdominal ultra sound focusing on pancrease and liver.

Posts: 2087 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement