LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » When doctors clash & family questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: When doctors clash & family questions
Dove7
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39546

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Dove7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just had appt with neurologist at my LLMDs urging due to tremors and leg weaknesses.

Neuro has been treating my migraines and skull fracture (from accident back in 1969) for 17 years, and I feel confident in his expertise.

Neuro read report my LLMD had written, then said , "I think alternative or integrative medicine has uses, but we need to rule out some things with an EEG, EMR, and MRI."

I was ok with all that, but then my DH said, "could you recommend someone for a second opinion on the Lyme?"

I was stunned. We've had this doc (LLMD) for 17 years. He was in a traditional med practice until earlier this year when he began training in integrative practice and learning about Lyme.

Both neuro and hubby talked about the "controversy" of lyme and its treatment. Later, when I asked DH about it, he said he just wants me to get better and that it's hard to see me like this.

Have any of you dealt with this clash of western med, docs, and family? How have you handled it?

--------------------
'Hope' is a thing with feathers, that perches in the soul-- Emily Dickinson

Posts: 160 | From Indiana | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A difficult situation for sure. Your husband is seeing you get treated for a very long time and thinks you should be well by now. We would all like to be well. The trouble is that it is chronic in some people and they need treatment to stay functional, and cure is not really the goal.

Go with your own gut feeling about this. If you feel it is time for a change, then do it. If you don't think anyone else has the silver bullet, then stay put.

And thank your husband for his support all this time and maybe say you understand his feelings, but you will have to be the one who makes the final decision, after considering all viewpoints.

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Did DH see the recent ILADS conference video stream? If not, can you get the confernece on DVD?

That background is necessary. It sounds as if he is not yet aware of all the complexities.

Sadly, his asking the neurologist also diminished you in that doctor's view. I'm sure it must have been both a shock and a blow.

Though I know DH means well, his asking the neurologist for a LL recommendation is not going to help. I hope your DH can come to understand why and how important it is to not put you down in front of any doctor.

That your DH asked, implies to the neurologist that he did not trust your judgement or that of your LLMD.

As well meaning as he is, I would never let him sit in on another appointment UNTIL he becomes highly LL. Even if as kind and well meaning as can be, he could torpedo your case.

Dynamically speaking, it's also demoting you to the "child" position (in the neuro's eyes) for the two of them to be discussing your case.

However, you might still seek out all your LLMD and LL ND options. Ask around at the area lyme support groups, etc.

www.ilads.org

ILADS - just find the Boston Conference details.

Note: lots of talk about PARASITES, METHYLATION, MOLD, etc. and other things that are key for many patients to be able to get past lyme.

Is your current LLMD up on all that?
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
OTHER things to consider:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=015508;p=0

Diagnosing Lyme Disease (&/or whatever else is going on)

Other tick-borne infections and other chronic stealth infections - as well as certain conditions that can hold us back - are discussed here.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
"EEG, EMR, and MRI."

ANY testing should be discussed with your LLMD and, if possible, ordered, guided and interpreted by a LL doctor.

Not everything is lyme, of course, and some additonal tests may be of help (or not) but, often, they are done in the wrong way for someone with lyme or not interpreted correctly.

For those with lyme, a QEEG is often much better. But that is not considered to be mainstream.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
See this:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=121871;p=0

Neurologist disputes lyme
-

Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Have any of you dealt with this clash of western med, docs, and family? How have you handled it?"

Yes, yes, yes!!! This was a constant struggle at the beginning.

I've since learned what alternative and what conventional treatment work for me and what does not.

I went to family members A LOT at the beginning and then I realized I needed to be my own advocate. Even the most well-meaning just wasn't giving me the best advice.

I only trust the opinion of 1 family member at this point and leave the rest out of it.

I keep my decision making about my health AWAY from family and my partner unless I know they respect my judgment.

It can be very frustrating because a spouse wants the best for you, but may offer suggestions that aren't good for you.

I remember one time my spouse wanted me to "power through" an antibiotic I was taking even though I was having bad effects (it turned out it was an allergic reaction). He just wanted me to get well, but didn't understand the need to stop.

I have since just kept my treatment plans to myself and it's created MUCH MORE peace in the relationship.

Sure, I'd like to have TOTAL support and understanding. Unfortunately, living with Lyme and other controversial illnesses is just alien to even the most caring family members.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Poppy said it wonderfully. sounds like everyone has your best interest at heart. the controversy can sway even those of us who have lyme. a 2nd opinion does not mean you have to take it. It can be good to hear things from a fresh set of eyes and then discuss with your LLMD.
Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had to deal with this too (force yourself to respond if this happens again). Has your husband seen Under Our Skin, or read Cure Unknown (good places to start)? You were probably so stunned you couldn't speak (been there).

It sounds like your husband could benefit from some wifely preparatory skills before both of you enter the doctor's office. You could also just leave him home, but I think it's helpful for both of you to hear what your doc has to say.

I want my husband there even though he sometimes dismisses something I've said (chauvinist). The one place I simply won't tolerate it is at the lyme doc's office. I just tell him (right in front of the doc) that he (hubby) doesn't have the whole picture, but I do. Or that I'm lyme literate, and he (hubby) is not. End of story (he backs down). Then he gets a noodle lashing once we leave. You'd think he'd learn (ha ha)!

So now that it's out there, if you feel another lyme doc might be better for you, go for it. I eventually went for the very best doc I could find. That way I wouldn't be second guessing all the time.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dove7
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dove7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for you wise counsel, and , Poppy, you're right, he just wants me better.

Yes, I need him to learn more about Lyme, but he seems almost afraid to.

As for the tests, my LLMD is the one who referred me to my neuro for the tests. Due to a serious skull fracture ( decades ago), my LLMD thinks/fears that Lyme may have gone to the scarred areas of my brain.

My tremors, leg weaknesses, and slower speaking pace have caused my LLMD to rule out other serious problems. Notice I did not say more serious.

Again thank you. I think/know/fear that I also have parasites due to some research, doctor's words, & evidence in stool this week. I do want to see a light at the end of this. I want more than two good days a month back. I am looking for support, wisdom, and hope.

--------------------
'Hope' is a thing with feathers, that perches in the soul-- Emily Dickinson

Posts: 160 | From Indiana | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot to mention that lyme makes many of us much more insecure and timid (not that you are). I believe it likes to hang out in that portion of the brain. Unfortunately, I have let more things said to me slide than I used to. I am just now getting a handle on this (feeling better). Hang in there Dove. I think once you jump on the parasite bandwagon you'll get past the two day mark in no time. :)

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement