LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Research help please

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Research help please
Pocono Lyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pocono Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all. I need some credible citations regarding the negative effects of stress on the immune system and adrenal fatigue.

It will be for court so credability is essential.
Not looking to gain anything other than a fair chance at getting my health back.

My immune system is down and has been. Started my third year of IVIG.

Also recently have been put on hydrocortisone for the adrenals.

Thanks for any help. At my wit's end.

--------------------
2 Corinthians 12:9-11

9 But he said to me, �My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.� Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ�s power may rest on me.

Posts: 1445 | From Poconos, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can do a search on pubmed or google scholar and see if anything pops up that is usable. Pubmed tends to be highly technical and maybe hard to understand.
Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://adrenalogic.com/

Maybe there are some sources listed.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pocono Lyme
Member # 5939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pocono Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks poppy. So far I searched 5 pages on google scholar. Looks like a couple of good ones but related to salmon. [Frown]

A couple of others that may have been good have to be purchased.
Search still on.

Thanks lax mom. I checked that site. Good info but I couldn't find anything related to external stress being detrimental. Thanks for trying.

--------------------

9 But he said to me, �My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.� Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ�s power may rest on me.

Posts: 1445 | From Poconos, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry I couldn't help more Pocono Lyme.

I'm reading the Healing Code book and the whole thing is about how stress shuts down the immune system...but there isn't a single research citation listed either [Frown]

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

http://www.direct-ms.org/sites/default/files/Stress%20and%20immunity.pdf

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

Pocono Lyme
Member # 5939

lax mom,

That looks like a keeper. I was only able to skim through it but it looks like it covers both the immune system and the adrenal (glucocorticoid) aspects. [bow] Thank you thank you thank you!

I was really surprised to not be able to find citations easily too. So much discussion but like you said, no citations.

Now off to look for one on the importance of sleep in regards to the immune system ...

Think it would be easy to find right? I'm not going to bet on it even if I were a betting person. [Smile]

--------------------

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I hope you have a good LL attorney. Your attorney should be doing this.

They also have to connect YOUR particulars. Your doctors have to state such for YOUR case.

Just saying that stress can damage won't be much good unless you have proof of body system dysfunction in your tests - lab markers, endurance markers, clinical assessment, history of symptom reporting from your doctor's notes all during your visits over time.

Again, a good LL attorney should be doing this for you.

Also consider that if you have any inner/middle ear issues, there are some vestibular tests that can SHOW balance trouble. And balance trouble affects EVERYTHING else, all other body functions, even walking, talking, reading, talking, thinking, driving, etc.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pocono Lyme
Member # 5939

Keebler,

Thank you. This saddens me to even have to do this but I feel it is critical in order for me to even have a chance of getting healthy.

I do have lab markers i.e. my immune system labs went down following a near month long episode and had been steadily improving prior to.

Maybe I need to explain a bit.

A neighbor leaves his dog out sometimes all night or all day or both. It barks non stop.

This has been going on for years. My husband has called him, texted him, taken him to court in the past to get only temporary relief.

At times, after complaining, it gets worse.

Last week was the first time in a very very long time I slept 7 hours straight. Finally getting adrenal and other hormones treated. I was getting hopeful.

The next night, the dog barked all night long.
It is also barking every evening for hours. It's like nails on a chalkboard just hearing one bark now.

Of course I haven't slept more than a few hours since. The one good night may have been a fluke. I don't know.

Not being able to handle stress normally with the adrenal issue really compounds it.

Though I do have the other issues you mention I'm not sure if those would be affected.

--------------------

lax mom
Member # 38743

Pocono Lyme:

I know how it feels to have a neighbor's barking dog disturb your sleep.

Thankfully, in my town, there is a dog barking ordinance and a couple of phone calls ended the barking.

I truly felt like I was going to go crazy if that dog didn't stop barking. Ear plugs didn't help and I could hear it all throughout my home.

[group hug]

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
That barking would be the ruin of me, I know. I've had similar issues, and others regaring sound (not even noise) from apartment living.

While, yes, reaction to noise can do all the things you say, it's just harder to prove than a hearing disorder may be.

Dog barking that affects you moreso than others could be indicative of hyperacusis. THAT would be far easier to connect dots than stress & immune function for a court hearing where the patient is assumed to be a malingerer or hypochondriac to begin with.

Do other sounds bother you? Has any doctor (especially LLMDs who know about this) ever mentioned that you may have

HYPERACUSIS?

Do you have a LL attorney? THEY should have already being doing all this, gathering, making your case. If they are not, be sure to connect with your local lyme support groups for some who may have experience with the very judge who will be presiding over your hearing.

Also be prepared to answer questions as to why earplugs are not the answer to the barking dog.

I know, believe me, but most others will not. Details in the last link below about how earplugs do not work for all situations.

--------------

Do you have a LL endocrinologist or even just your LLMD's reports about how stress affects your body, your mental and cognitive abilities and health?

It's the medical chart documentation and record keeping over time that really helps.

If you've consulted with a mental health professional, that can also really help validate. However, sadly, then it's seen and labeled as mental health issue. Still, that can help you get the SSD support you need to live and get better.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://www.hyperacusis.net/hyperacusis/what+is+hyperacusis/default.asp

What is HYPERACUSIS?

http://vestibular.org/understanding-vestibular-disorder/symptoms

VESTIBULAR SYMPTOMS [note that nearly every one can go along with lyme or other tick-borne infections]

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links - including HYPERACUSIS
-

Pocono Lyme
Member # 5939

You understand exactly lax mom.

Our township doesn't have a noise ordinance at all. His attorney pointed that out. I contacted the township and they never got back to me.

The judge did say however that it didn't matter.
If it was causing distress so that a neighbor couldn't enjoy their own home, it was a problem.

He said even one bark is too much if it disturbed someone.

Animal control doesn't deal with barking dogs nor does the state police. (we have no local police) The township supervisor wouldn't get involved.

The other night it was in the single digits and windy. We contacted the SPCA as it had been outside all night the night before and all day and evening at that point.

They never responded. I feel badly for the dog as I'm sure it's very lonely. Don't know if it had thawed water to drink or shelter even.

We can also hear it all through our home. We can hear it over our TV. If I could tolerate it I'd turn music up louder during the day but I can't.

Thanks for sharing.
I'd like for the attorney to start by simply sending him a letter. Maybe he can mention how it's affecting my health. I don't know if that would infer personal injury or not. Just want to make a strong enough point to make it stop.

The last time at court, my husband said he would have been arrested for harassment but I would have had to be there to testify. I was way too sick. If I have to go by stretcher next time I will.

I don't want him to be arrested. I just want peace so I can hopefully get healthy again.

Thank you all for your thoughts and help. Going to go crazy are the words lax mom

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
ILADS November 2012 annual conference, there was an entire half day of presentations by disability attorneys. Were you able to see that?

If not, be sure to get the DVD from www.ilads.org

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/3/13935

Resources for Disability, Insurance, Dealing with HMOs

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/110107

Receiving disability support for Lyme disease
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Too bad these are not all on the same DVD. Still, each speaker presented their own valuable session. Your local, area or state lyme support groups may have purchased these in order to loan or rent out.

Very well worth it, though. I was able to see most of this during the free airing in December.

For you, Parts II and III seem most important. A wealth of detail here that no one can afford to miss.

-
ILADS Annual Conference, November 2012, Boston, MA

Disability issues, four parts:

http://www.ilads.org/media/boston/videos/videos_kantor.php

Disability Claims and Lyme Disease Part I:

The Process: How disability is defined and evaluated under private insurance policies

Glenn Kantor, Esq - DVD is $15. You can see a four minute video clip at link above.

http://www.ilads.org/media/boston/videos/videos_rafik.php

Disability Claims and Lyme Disease Part II: Making the Case:

The medical and legal elements of making a claim for disability benefits for individuals suffering from chronic Lyme.

Mala M. Rafik, Esq - DVD is $15. You can see a four minute video preview at link above.

http://www.ilads.org/media/boston/videos/videos_riemer.php

Disability Claims and Lyme Disease, Part III: Overcoming the Hurdles:

How to defend against the various justifications for denying coverage, including the mental illness defense and the claim that chronic Lyme does not exist or is not objectively verifiable.

Scott Riemer, Esq - DVD is $15. You can see a four minute video preview at the link above.

http://www.ilads.org/media/boston/videos/videos_kilpatrick.php

Disability Claims and Lyme Disease, Part IV:

Working Together: How providers and lawyers can collaborate to effectively represent
their disabled patients

Glenn Kantor, Esq, Mala M. Rafik, Esq, and Scott Riemer, Esq - DVD is $15. You can see a four minute video clip at link above.
-

Pocono Lyme
Member # 5939

Keebler,

You have made some good points. I had hyperacussis in the past. Not funny but that was when I not only had the barking dog, I had another neighbor who often through 1/4 sticks of dynamite for kicks.

Thankfully, he moved.

I do have a doctor working with me on the adrenal issues and has documented how stress affects me.

He has advised me to stress dose but that only works when you know in advance of a stressful event.

The dog doesn't just bother us. Other neighbors have complained and offered to go to court with my husband but backed out. No big surprise there.

We do however have text messages from the one neighbor complaining about the dog and offering to do whatever needed to get it to stop barking.

Tinnitus is something I forgot about Keebler. At times it stops but will start again when triggered by noise. Another good point. Thank you.

There is no local support group. The closest is about 2 1/2 hours away. The closest used to be about an hour away but was always too sick to go.

It fell apart because everyone else was too sick also.

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
"Regular" tinnitus would not help with a SSD award, however, tinnitus that is too much can an has for some. If the tinnitus is very disruptive to your life (or sleep - as ear plugs make it worse), that's certainly important to mention.

I often don't include any personal notes with my posts as I just don't have the energy to do so. Writing is very hard and it's easier to stick to facts and copy and paste stuff.

However, I fully "get" what you are talking about. I won't go into the grizzly details, though.

Do you, by chance, have severe STARTLE REACTIONS? If so, that may be seizure related - via adrenal & vestibular. If so, be sure to have your LLMD document your reports of that but know that, likely, an EEG will not register this kind of seizure activity. Still, if you startle, THAT is something to document.

Also, if you have trouble taking certains drugs, that needs to be documented.

"Why not just take an Rx to calm down?" will be a question you will need to address. Sadly, as most really don't understand the complexity.
-

Pocono Lyme
Member # 5939

Keebler, This won't be for SSD but rather to have a judge do something so the neighbor controls his dog's barking.

I understand fully about not having the energy to write as it's most times very difficult for me too. I'm starting to really crash now myself.

I don't have the severe startle reactions thankfully. I used to have them. I had the same startle reflex that babies have.

I now believe that was the beginning of my adrenals not functioning properly. Of course I had severe central nervous system involvement then, documented.

Later it changed to my heart racing with any kind of noise/stress. My one doc said that's adrenaline being pumped out trying to compensate for the adrenals I think.

That doesn't happen any more. I'm probably out of adrenaline now. lol

You certainly are correct that most don't understand the complexity. Nor the severity.

I used to handle emergency situations and now just talking on the phone for a bit stresses me out. [Frown]

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Ohhhh. Well, that sure will be easier. Man, if I would just READ stuff, I'd save myself a lot of time and effort. Sorry for inundating you with non-essential links, then.

Still, while it's easier on one level, it's harder on another.

You city's NOISE CODE will be the legal test here. I've sure you've read that to see what they state about barking dogs.

Beyond that, there would of course be other ways to approach it.

Now, then, as much as I was talking about honing in on the specifics of YOUR health, throw all that out the window.

The legal test here will be for an ordinary person's reaction to the barking dog. Still, with the research you gather, it can be shown that such noise can terribly affect the health of an ordinary citizen (even if not for all the same).

Good luck.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
They've gathered all this research. A splendid group:

http://www.nonoise.org/

The Noise Pollution ClearingHouse

http://www.nonoise.org/noisepr.htm

Noise Problem? We can help.
-

Pocono Lyme
Member # 5939

[lol] Thanks for the laugh Keebler. You're sweet. I know how much effort it takes helping here. Often, I try and just can't.

You are very appreciated for all you do.

We don't have a noise ordinance. Honing in on the specifics actually did help. Whatever I throw out the window, it will be aimed at the dog owner. lol

It's actually further than a stone's throw away.
There are acres in between.

Thank you Keebler and everyone else. [group hug]

--------------------

sillia
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sillia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would keep trying to get in touch with the SPCA. It does sound like that dog is being mistreated. Also contact the nearest Humane Society and see if they have any suggestions for you. Both of these organizations are good, and have experience with these problems. I know it is hard, when you're so sick, to make any kind of concerted effort but I would try the animal people again.

I had a similar problem, up until about a year ago. My neighbor has two German shepherds and they would bark all day and all night, 50 feet from my bedroom window. I complained and complained to no avail (like you, we're not in a city and county ordinances are useless). I thought I would go insane and I'm sure it hurt my health.

In our case, what happened was another couple built a new home nearby, and they complained to the dog owners. Somehow, THEIR complaint carried more weight and the barking stopped. I wish I knew what they said! Maybe it involved yelling, and I'm too polite??

We had some other noise issues and one thing that has helped a lot is that I got some windows replaced. The new windows are better insulated and reduce sound substantially. I was surprised at how much of a difference this made.

Posts: 261 | From Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Sound travels.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/62876-noise-kills-thousands-every-year

World Health Organisation, University College London

NOISE KILLS THOUSANDS EVERY YEAR

Excerpts:

Thousands of people around the world are being driven to an early grave by excessive noise, it was claimed today.

Early findings from the World Health Organisation show that chronic exposure to noise in busy cities can make people ill and can even kill.

Traffic noise alone may account for 3% of deaths from heart attacks and strokes in Europe.

Given that seven million people around the world die each year from heart disease, the global death toll from traffic noise could be around 210,000.

More than 600,000 potential years of healthy life were lost in Europe each year due to noise-related death and disability, New Scientist magazine reported. . . .

. . . Chronic night-time exposure to noise levels of 50 decibels or above was enough to cause cardiovascular problems. . . .

- Full article at link above.
-

Pocono Lyme
Member # 5939

Keebler,

Thank you for the links above http://www.nonoise.org/noisepr.htm

I filled out the form so maybe it'll help. It said they may not be able to send all of the info via email but if not they'll send info via regular mail. Very interesting about noise pollution kills.

I'm thinking the dog will outlive me.

Sillia, I feel the same as you. I'm sure it has affected my health and continues to do so.

I will take your advice and contact the humane society again. It could be that the neighbor's sister works for the county. I think in the dog licensing part?

Could I borrow your neighbor? lol
Our windows are the insulated kind except one area that we enjoy sitting every evening.

Although it can be heard anywhere in the house.
Glad your situation got resolved. Maybe you are too nice. Stay that way. If everyone was too nice it'd be a better world.
[Smile]

--------------------

poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a dog problem too. And it bothers other neighbors but apparently I was the only one who called animal control. They went to the house, asked the owners to keep the dog quiet. But the owners ignored this, and animal control said they could do no more....then I have to sue! Well, what good are these animal control people, I ask you. Paying taxes and getting no help from them. Why do people get a dog and then leave it alone outside all the time?

A town about 15 miles away has an ordinance that prevents people from just tying their dog outside and letting it bark non-stop. Wish we had this.

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
TRAINING for the dog and owner, and all the dog's family members should be required.

This might be something that all parties would consider / agree to - but it should be with a licensed and very experienced dog trainer.
-

Pocono Lyme
Member # 5939

I agree poppy. That has been our question all along. The one about why people get a dog and just leave it alone outside.

They previously had 2 large collie dogs that were in a pen that barked constantly. The kicker was they didn't even live there.

They would send one of their workers or I guess they themselves would go to them daily? to feed and water them.

After they built their house and lived there it got better. That was nearly two years later!

It wasn't so bad on me then as I wasn't homebound nor ill. I was able to work hard and sleep well.

As far as the training, it was brought up in court and he said he had a professional trainer working with the dog.
A shock collar! The poor dog. It needs love not shocks.
It would be nice if all parties would agree to work with the dog but it seems obvious the dog is not cared about enough. Sad.

--------------------

poppy
Member # 5355

There was a program on PBS a while back, which I watched online. Will see if I can find it, if still available.

It was about some people whose neighborhood was invaded by a rooster-raising person. There were no ordinances against it and a lot of roosters. They finally kept a log of the number of crowings, and maybe a tape of the sound. I can't remember exactly. Could you tape the dog barking for the court? And keep a log of the times for a couple of days? Picking days when there might be more barking? Do they keep it inside in colder/snowy/rainy weather?

BuffyFan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BuffyFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
www.drlam.com

can't recall if there's anything about lyme but very extensive info about adrenal fatigue.

Posts: 287 | From somewhere | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pocono Lyme
Member # 5939

Hi poppy,

The last time my husband took him to court, he had the barking taped on his cell phone and probably a year's worth of documentation with dates, times and hours.

They don't keep it in during bad weather but I did notice that when it would start raining, the dog would stop barking.

The judge said if I had been there to testify and the dog was taped by an officer, he would have been arrested.

Not knowing about filing a case, the girls in the office said it would be filed under harassment. So that's what was done.

That turns out to be a criminal offense as opposed to civil and tougher to win.

It's been quiet lately but I'm sure that's only temporary.
I've been working on getting the documentation organized plus my husband has been recording it.

Doctor appts. are now caught up so I'll have more time to devote to working on this and hopefully stop it permanently. Thanks.

BuffyFan, Thanks. I've seen him before but had forgotten about it. I'll look for sure as I'm going to have to provide my PCP with info regarding hypothyroidism and adrenal fatigue as he goes by TSH etc.. You know how that goes. He already said he doesn't agree with my hypothyroidism diagnosis.

Hmm. He may change his thinking when I show him my outer thirds of my eyebrows grew back, the rest of my hair isn't falling out all over the place like it had been and more.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement