LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » what is the gentlest pArasite treatment??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: what is the gentlest pArasite treatment??
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 3 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some are pretty harsh and scour your knsides practically. Is there something that is very effective but also gentle??

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
randibear,

I understand what and why you are asking that question with your diverticulitus and all. I don't know of any gentle parasite tx. Parasites can cause a lot of pain, especially when trying to kill them.

If you look at the symptom list at Humaworm, you will see that abdominal pain is on the list. You can google a list of antiparasitic foods and try that along with coconut oil.

I just don't think with the kind of infection you have, that it would be sufficient. You can also google some home remedys for killing parasites.

The only other thing i can think of is to take the Humaworm and or Parastroy, open a capsule and mix it with applesauce and just take as little as you want. The same with salt/c. Start with a very low dose like 1/8tsp.

Yes I know you have b/p problems, but I have noticed some posters with high b/p, have lowered their b/p while on salt/c.

You can also check with the folks at lymestrategies. Well, these are the suggestions I have. maybe someone will come along with more.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randi.. it might be far safer to live with the parasites.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well whatever I have is acting up big time. Course I was under mAjor stress. The lower left and back and hip pain are pretty bad.
I know my drs are pushing that surgery but man I dont want it. This is my third attack of this crap this yrar.

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, NOT safer to just live with them when your immune system is suppressed. I will tell you this though, I know someone very close to me that had a very bad infection in their colon. Mucus, blood, polyps etc.

The docs of course didn't have a clue that it could be Lyme and parasites. This person had their entire colon removed and had a J Pouch placed.

They use the small intestine unwind it and make a long extension for the food and stool to pass through and connect it to the rectum. Google J Pouch. This was 10 yrs ago, and they are fine and living a normal life.

Randi, maybe this is the way to go for you because from what you have posted, I am skeptical that you would be a candidate for some serious parasite treatment. It can get rough.Maybe study the procedure, ask lots of questions about recovery time and what to expect.

Maybe you could ask to speak to some people that had it done. Also might help with weight loss and a better quality of life. Something to consider and research.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Safer than having surgery for diverticulitis.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry for all your troubles.

Maybe anti-parasitic herbs are more harsh on the gut than meds.

Maybe try to start with a low dose of Ivermectin. Very low, then see how you do and take it from there.

I remember a few years ago when you tried Humaworm. You mentioned a day that you were bright eyed and felt good. And you passed things that were "not poop" (your words). I also recall you saying you had parasites as a young child. I bet this is a big piece of the puzzle for you. I hope you are able to find a slow, steady, tolerable way of addressing this nasty infection.

Oh... I have to mention..... I've been having digestive issues myself (seeing undigested food in my stool for a long time). My doc just told me about 'food combining'. It's pretty fascinating. It talks about not eating protein with starchy vegetables (like potatoes, etc). Because one needs to be digested in an acidic environment with specific enzymes, and the other needs an alkaline environment with different enzymes. This can be challenging and confusing to our digestive systems. There's more to it, so look it up. Makes good sense.

I've just been doing it 3 days myself, and have noticed a difference since day 1. Maybe this will help your gut a little. Worth a try.

Wishing you the best.

Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

TuTu,

When you have a hyperinfection of parasites causing the diverticulitis, not tx the infection will just progress into more symptoms and illness. It's a catch 22. If I hadn't heard of the surgery improving some peoples quality of life, I would probably agree with you.

I am just thinking that in randis case, it could be an option. Perhaps as Tammy suggests, trying the Ivermectin in low dose could work.

It's really not always the meds or herbs causing the pain and discomfort, but the pain can be from the dieoff, no matter the method. Randi, have you discussed the surgery and all the results in depth with your doctor?

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tammy, are you doing the Body Ecology Diet? Food combining is one of the 7 principles of the diet. Add cultured vegetables to your diet (full of enzymes and probiotics) and that will help digest your food even better. Only eat until you're 80% full and take a digestive enzyme on top of all that and the food combining and it really helps! (It helps by not leaving undigested food in your colon for yeast etc. to feed off of.)

I am interested in knowing more about the Ivermectin. Is this a drug that could be just as effective as a prescription anti. parasitic from a regular doc, or would you need additional medication or herbs to go along with Ivermectin? (I know it probably depends on what parasites you have, but generally speaking...)

Also, have any of you done colonics to help pull the dead yeast/dead parasites out of your gut?

Posts: 631 | From the south | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keikko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keikko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randi, I am using suppositories to kill parasites...sometimes only a half of one depending on how I feel. This may be gentler than ingesting herbs and I have seen alot of results.

I have alot stomach and digestive issues for over 20 years so my doctor felt this would be easier on my digestive system but says it goes systemic...just bypasses gut. Maybe this could work for you...just doing a small amount.

The suppositories have clove oil, walnut oil, Artemisia, olive oil and cocoa butter.
The other one has artemisinin, freeze dried garlic, and coco butter. I alternate the two.

Two days ago I stated adding low dose salt/c...1/8 tsp...and stomach did just fine.

I am newer here and dont know your whole situation so just a thought:)

Posts: 137 | From ATX | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love what Tammy said. I also noticed that parasite meds were easier on me than the herbs were. Have you tried raw organic garlic after meals? When you kill the parasites, you need binders to get rid of stuff too.

I haven't tried the product below, but it may be worth a try (RevitalX).

http://optimumhealthvitamins.com/OptiBlog/tabid/105/entryid/128/Default.aspx#

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keikko, what product (suppositories) are you using?

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes i've discussed with gastro. have not seen surgeon yet. also discussed with primary cause i have to go to him when i can't get in with my gastro cause he's so busy.

both say at least 10 inches of the colon should come out.

my father had a pouch and i'm sure that it contributed to his death.. mentally he just could not handle it. he hated his life every day and wanted to die. he had numerous "blow outs" and my mom's life was hell as well. he died a year after getting it from a heart attack.

i did have pinworms alot when i was a child and was always constipated. i think it had something to do with the violence in the home. it's a leap but psychologically, it's sound reasoning.

i am now having at least 2-3 attacks a year. this is my third and it came right after this horrendous trip to ohio but i was feeling uncomfortable before i went so i knew it was coming. i'm sure driving 701 miles in a day exaserbated it also.

i am willing to try anything. and yes i did see some strange stuff when on humaworm, like tomatoe peels, reddish pieces of stuff.

there is a diverticulitis board on topix where alot of people have had this surgery and done very well. others had it and not so good. and some had to go back and have more taken out which really scares me. but add my preexisting conditions and i'm terrified even tho baylor is a wonderful hospital.

ibs is a trash can diagnosis where they can't figure out what's wrong. i've had that for years.

my one sister has diverticulosis and has been hospitalized with it. she eats very little and so far has no other problems.

we have a big trip planned for july and i've got to get this under control. after that i'll go see the surgeon and perhaps go back to the gastro.

also i cannot find a doctor willing to give me difulcan for any yeast and even discuss parasites. they just don't believe in them.

sometimes i'm so frustrated i think i'll try parastory or something and if i get sick from that and end up in the hospital at least they'll have to see me!!! drastic i know...but hey....

--------------------

randibear
Member # 11290

is ivermectin a prescription? cause i can't get the dang docs to give me anything at all except abx!!!

--------------------

surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randi,
Just throwing this out there, I found this Dr. by you

http://blockcenter.com/

Not an LLMD, but these types of Doctors used to be called DAN (Defeat Autism Now) Dr.s

and they do Metamatrix stool testing (which will tell you exactly what infections are happening in your GI tract, yeast, inflammation, etc.)

Food panel sensitivity testing, and prescribe and work with you to heal.

Just a thought.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randi, here is another good MD by you to help-

http://www.kotsanisinstitute.com/services/digestive-disorders

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by girl:
Tammy, are you doing the Body Ecology Diet? Food combining is one of the 7 principles of the diet. Add cultured vegetables to your diet (full of enzymes and probiotics) and that will help digest your food even better.

Only eat until you're 80% full and take a digestive enzyme on top of all that and the food combining and it really helps! (It helps by not leaving undigested food in your colon for yeast etc. to feed off of.)

-Amen. This is really helping me.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by glm1111:
TuTu,

When you have a hyperinfection of parasites causing the diverticulitis, not tx the infection will just progress into more symptoms and illness. It's a catch 22.

-
You are ASSUMING her D is caused by parasites and not by GLUTEN and DAIRY, the most obvious.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

ms dixie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40818

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ms dixie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The parasite meds and herbs caused me no gastric distress at all. However , the die off and herxing are torturous . Ivermectin and albenzadole can come in cream forms also applied to skin. PM me.
Posts: 153 | From Huntsville Al | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randi, what is the actual diagnosis to warrant removing part of the colon? Is it IBS or diverticulitis?
Posts: 631 | From the south | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18022

Also, are you off of WHEAT and dairy?
keikko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keikko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Catgirl, the suppositories are from Biopure...kind of pricey but have been giving me results.

I am using the Nexus(the one with artemisinin and freeze dried garlic) and the other is called Idalia. The Nexus seems to be stronger...but rotate the two:)

Posts: 137 | From ATX | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Girl, I forgot to mention, I have done colonics (they're great). I am not sure I'd recommend them for Randibear though (sometimes causes more pain).

Randibear, you could try pulsing humaworm. I do that sometimes in between taking parasite meds. Humaworm makes me constipated, so pulsing it gives my body a break (1 pill twice a week).

--------------------

girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18022

Thanks, Catgirl. I wanted to inbox you re coffee enemas, but I will do that later. I just googled humaworm, is that something OTC? Which brand?
glm1111
Member # 16556

TuTu,

I am not ASSUMING anything about the cause of randis diverticulitis. By her own admission she has stated that she has suffered from pinworms since childhood that has been left untreated.

Research has indicated that chronic candida and parasites usually go hand in hand, and that it is very difficult to get rid of chronic candida without getting rid of the parasites. Gluten sensitivity and Lyme can be partners as well.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

Catgirl
Member # 31149

You're welcome Girl. :)

https://humaworm.com/symptoms.html

--------------------

randibear
Member # 11290

I've been diagnosed with diverticulitis by my gastro through colonoscopy. I've had three attacks since december. I've had this diagnosis for over ten years and by three drs. Runs in the family too. So unfortunately its a given.

--------------------

girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18022

RANDI - I've heard that can be awful. [Frown]

So have you attempted to cut out wheat/gluten and casein - or is that something you think would benefit you - or that your Doctor has mentioned?

I'm assuming he has since he's a Gastro Doc.

randibear
Member # 11290

He tested for everything under the sun from chrons to celiac to cancer. You name it. All negative except for diverticulosis

--------------------

girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18022

Yes, Diverticulosis would be a HUGE reason to cut out wheat.

Even a small piece of gluten the size of your fingernail causes inflammation in the gut wall for 6 MONTHS.

Celiac tests are only for 2 proteins of wheat (gluten and gliadin) where there are about 10,000 other proteins you could be reacting to. So a negative Celiac test doesn't mean you can tolerate the wheat.

So you should still give it a trial - especially before surgery of them cutting out your colon.

girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18022

Thanks for the link, Catgirl. Going to check it out now. [Wink]
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am no expert but I just read conference notes from this year and one of the docs (Dr K I think) said that the naturals are actually harsher than the meds! So he goes with meds for parasites.
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Could be true!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Catgirl
Member # 31149

Yeah, I've found the naturals were stronger.

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

regarding gluten.. I found this on another site in reply to a question about going gluten free helping heartburn....

-

"I have been gluten free for six months and my heartburn, gas, constipation and nausea have almost completely disappeared and I have a hiatal hernia. I was miserable and had to have a few sips of coke nearly every evening to settle my stomach.

I never could eat Mexican food and here in south east Tx it's either Mexican food, Cajun food, BBQ or some kind of zesty, spicy fare! I just had fajitas for lunch with corn tortillas instead of flour and I haven't even had to burp, normally, I wouldn't even be able to lie down for several hours after the meal I just had.

I only went GF because my daughter became sick several years ago and after seeing countless drs, specialists and what had turned into bone marrow suppression along with worsening digestive issues the rheumatologist along with the gp suggested going GF since she carried the celiac gene. She saw almost immediate improvement.

Going dairy free helped even more. They were getting ready to do a bone marrow biopsy but the hematologist gave her 6 more weeks to see if her labs would improve which was the same time she went GF. When they ran her bloods 6 weeks later her counts had finally started to improve for the first time in months! I firmly believe if there is even a chance you are gluten intolerant to give it a try. The only reason I did it was because I didn't want her to feel left out and sit and eat pizza in front of her plus I do all the cooking and it was just easier to make the kitchen GF.

I think anyone who has inflammation issues should try going GF. It can't hurt and you never know it might help. I didn't think I had issues with gluten until I went GF and saw my digestive issues basically disappear."

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18022

Yes! I didn't realize I had gluten issues until I cut it out 100%, for 4 weeks, and then inadvertently added it back in via a body lotion that I'd used. All heck broke loose. It was CRIPPLING~

I had no idea prior to that - that I'd been poisoning myself bit by bit with the wheat/gluten. I was completely clueless. The only way to know for sure is to cut it out and then see what happens when you add it back in.

I love being off gluten. I've lost a ton of weight and I don't feel all icky and bloated after I eat. My mind is sharper and I sleep better, too.

girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18022

CD57 - Do you know where I can get a copy of those conference notes? I'd love to share that info. with my Doc when I ask for parasite meds.
Lymetoo
Member # 743

That's awesome, girl! I had been tested 30 yrs ago for celiac.. came back negative. Finally went COMPLETELY GF 6-7 years ago and I feel much better too!!

It took 10 days before I KNEW I had my answer. Prior to that, I didn't get the concept of how strict you need to be on the trial run and it failed. I saw no difference at all.

It's important to do it right and cut it out completely when giving it a trial.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18022

I know! I spoke with a friend of mine earlier who'd gone gluten free but was just having "a little bit" in their dinner tonight via. some vegetarian "sausage" they were having. I explained how just a "tiny bit" can cause inflammation for SIX MONTHS. I think people just have to learn on their own.

[Smile]

Catgirl
Member # 31149

Great points of view Girl and Lymetoo. I didn't think I was getting any until I looked at my shampoo. It's in everything, and it requires looking at every single label. And if you eat out, you have to ask if there is gluten in any of the restaurant's food, even in the chicken broth.

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Eating out is the hardest. Even most rice in restaurants is not GF due to the fact that they cook it in broth.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with trying a low dose of ivermectin. It is a very safe drug and hits just about everything but tapeworms. If parasites are contributing to your problem then surgery sure isn't going to help you.

Protomyxzoa can cause most of your symptoms including body pain, bladder irritation and irritable bowel syndrome. I know of someone that had surgery for bladder problems and was much worse afterwards. He is still trying to recover. He has PR.

We all know we are mis-diagnosed with everything under the sun when infections are the root of the problem.

What is your diet like? Most people diagnosed with lyme are told to go on a paleo diet to prevent yeast. This would make your condition much worse. The low fat diet recommended for PR would be better for helping to get good movement through your bowels - lots of vegetables, brown rice, legumes but no meat, very little fat. I often have 2 movement a day on this diet.

There are several reasons why a person should avoid meat. If you have type A blood, if you have a CBS mutation (avoid all sulfur containing foods including meat, soy, cabbage, eggs) or if you have protomyxzoa.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement