LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Cause of Fibromyalgia found???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cause of Fibromyalgia found???
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm skeptical here!!!

http://guardianlv.com/2013/06/fibromyalgia-mystery-finally-solved/

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't believe it.

I was diagnosed with Fibro and my pain goes away when I'm on even a small dose of antibiotics.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know. I was dxd with FM in 1980... Lyme in 2000. Most of pain left. The rest left after going gluten free.

The pain I have now is from bulging discs in neck and back.. and then my poor feet!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya know, after seeing many commercials about "juvenile fibromyalgia" I finally this morning called the toll-free number.

I said to the woman who answered "where are you located?" Her response was that they had locations all over.

"All over where?" I asked? She had no response. I asked "where is your corporate headquarters? She said once again that they had locations all over.

I said to her "are you located in the northeast?" She said "yes." I said to her "did it ever dawn on you people that these young kids (they target 13-17 yos) need to be evaluated for Lyme Disease?"

She said "Oh that's something people have to discuss with their doctors." Told her I couldn't even express in words how sad this makes me and just how disgraceful it is.

DD heard the phone call and agreed with me. Years ago she'd have been mortified that I would make a phone call like that. Guess the family's finally getting used to me. About time!

Something is just SO WRONG with this.

A healthy kid who was playing sports/attending school every day/going out with friends now has headaches, joint pains, fatigue, GI issues and is essentially non-functional.

This must be FIBRO--a disorder with no known cause and no known cure. So let's load the kid up with drugs and see if that'll fix her.

Let's ignore that there might actually be an underlying CAUSE to these symptoms! But why follow simple logic when it's so much easier to just deny what might be actual truth? Oh, right, it all boils down to the moolah.

Did a quick google search. Here's something that popped up:

http://www.fibromyalgia-treatment.com/juvenile-fibromyalgia/

Siegel. Need we say more?

What a disgrace. And what a disservice to our young people.

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
beaches,

I get so angry when I see those commercials too!

It's hard to believe that in 2013, Dr's and people in general cannot see that the cause of these problems are infections.

We just have to keep educating people.

I post as many things as I can that I think are beneficial, on facebook.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Good job, beaches!!!!! [Mad]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't know they were diagnosing kids with Fibro! That is horrible!

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

and maybe they should also consider GLUTEN!!!? [rant] [shake]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi dekrator, Yes, those commercials make my blood boil. And honestly I just don't get the logic of noting the symptoms and automatically arriving at a Fibro dx.

This "Fibro" thing went out the window for me years ago. Now out of nowhere, there's "Juvenile Fibromyalgia" Good God.

Unfortunately, there are some parents who will buy into this crap and subject their young teen to this garbage. My heart goes out to these young people.

I don't do FB so I wouldn't be able to check anything through that venue.

I am glad I called the number this commercial was advertising. Kinda fishy that the woman couldn't tell me where they're located or where their headquarters were located. And when I mentioned Lyme, her response was robotic. Makes me think they've gotten more than a few calls like mine.

Good for us. We have to do whatever we can every day to the best of our ability to educate, inform and blast the ignorant whenever needed.

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right on Beaches. :)

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

Thanks LT. I try! And unless parents are doing their own research, they won't likely hear that going GF could possibly help.

Most parents don't understand the gluten thing, don't know about GMOs, think a fast food drive-thru is OK.

I was guilty of the same til kids got sick and I started doing my own research. It's a very long learning curve, just like Lyme/cos. We learn what we learn and we change what we have to change and we do what we have to do.

Yep, lax, believe it or not. I see the commercials on TV all the time and they sicken me.

But the truth always comes out in the wash. My dad always said that.

beaches
Member # 38251

thx catgirl!
droid1226
Member # 34930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droid1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even before I got sick, I assumed fibro was viral, fungal, or bacterial related. I still do.

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/droid1226/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Posts: 1181 | From ohio | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beaches, what is the toll free number? I think those of us who had the fibro dx should call them and discuss it some more!

Mine: 25 years, then I put myself on 150mg oral clindamycin abx round the clock, and voila, painfree in a week's time.

We're all different when it comes to which tx will work for us. That one was my bingo.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fibromyalgia? Think Babesiosis.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

Hi Robin,

The toll-free number is:

1-866-999-4442

I agree that everyone who has been dx'ed with fibro should call.

beaches
Member # 38251

Yes droid and TC.

We are using our logic, our minds and our words (as the teachers tell our little ones to do).

Why on earth are we still dealing with a medical problem that is at least 40 years old?

Lymetoo
Member # 743

That is true, Tincup!

OH boy! Can't wait to hear all the reports on these phone calls!

Was it the Fibromyalgia and Fatigue Centers?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wish there was someone official to report these people for malpractice. Unfortunately the officials would rather diagnose this, which has no test and only gets symptomatic treatment, if anything.

Isn't it amazing that the medical establishment blithly slaps labels on people without any proof but denies lyme even with abundant evidence and tests. This is insane.

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've not seen these commercials for juvie fibro in my area? Are they focusing on the northeast area maybe?

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, it's a call center, saying they have nothing to do with the medical centers - they just collect the info from the caller to see if a juvenile qualifies for the clinical research and then a center will call them back.

So after finding out there were no centers in CA for me to reach, I asked who was sponsoring these clinics. The operator said she didn't know.

I then proceeded to tell the operator that we now know what fibromyalgia is, that it's Lyme disease, and it's time for people to know that.

I briefly told her my story, that after 25 years of fibro pain following a known tick bite, my pain went to zero on a week of oral clindamycin antibiotics. "What do you think about that?" Silence. I then said, "Time to end the lies."

I also told her about the UOS film and that people in UOS are saying it too, that they were first diagnosed with fibro.

"Sorry, ma'am, I have to go - I have to keep the line open." End of call.

So, I say, go for it - call this number and find out, first, whether there are any centers in your area. Then, have this little chat with them and see how long you can chat before you get the "I have to keep the line open" comment.

Alternatively, give them your info and get a call center to call you back and have at it. They're looking for juveniles - ie children - suffering with fibro.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Also, in response to TC here, I don't think I have babesiosis. I don't have the strong fatigue that supposedly comes with it. I think I just have Lyme, and that's what the cause of my fibro was.
Bitten in Bergen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bitten in Bergen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Argh - I have a good friend with fibromyalgia who is in a lot of pain and discomfort - she's currently on steroids - yikes.

Just sent her a link to the possible link between fibromyalgia and infections.

Hopeful that she will get tested, but doubt she will. Just another deaf ear sent my way.

So frustrating - wish I could help her.

Posts: 348 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You won't get anywhere talking to the call center workers;they are very low on the totem pole.. You need to reach the actual medical offices. ANd even there, I am sure

that the people who own & run these places (who won't be answering the phones!) just care about the endless $$ coming in, not in actually curing people. If you don't cure, you can treat endlessly! Horrible.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Yes, Rumigirl, ca-ching, ca-ching re dealing with us.

I bet the centers know something's up, and that's why they're not letting us contact them directly. Someone should tell them they know a juvenile and could the center call them back, then find out what they're up to and who's backing it.

Bitten in Bergen - you can tell the person that I ended all fibro pain in a week's time on the right antibiotics for me - that might catch their attention.

I stayed on that abx for 5 years and then it stopped working and now I'm doing other stuff. We're all different in terms of what's going to work for us.

Even better, you can tell them they have a chance to treat all symptoms properly, once they understand this is due to a bacterial infection running amok.

Re testing - that's a dicey way to go - some of us do test positive - I did, after 25 years, but not everyone does. 27 reasons for not testing positive at www.mentalhealthandillness.com/seronegativelymedisease.html

That's why folks need to see LL doctors who can help them recognize their history and symptoms.

beaches
Member # 38251

Good work Robin! You found out a lot more than I did.

Don't you think it's a bit odd that these so-called medical centers need call centers?

Based on the operator's response to you and the robotic response I received, I'm guessing they are getting calls from people like us. Keep making those calls folks!

Rumigirl, yes, these people answering the phones are indeed low on the totem pole. But if enough of us call and make our statements (which are likely being recorded), it's just another way to get noticed and raise awareness.

Yep, I know, if you don't cure, you can treat and treat and treat. It IS horrible, especially for these young people.

My new motto is that we have to loud and proud like the AIDS/HIV activists back in the day.

Someone on another thread said that we need our own Magic Johnson. We don't have one, at least yet.

So we have to do whatever we can individually and collectively to get our voices heard and effect change.

LT, I don't think it's the Fibro/Fatigue Centers. They seem to get enough business without advertising.

I personally think this is likely a NE-based program targeting young sick teens and I'd bet it's funded by IDSA.

Most of the NE is endemic, if not epidemic for Lyme/cos. But it's only a matter of time before the truth comes out in the wash.

In the meantime, let's just pray that these young people eventually find truth and healing.

luvema
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26650

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This study been published in the medicine journal. And supposedly going to be a breakthrough.

I also, strongly believe the cause of fibro is either fungal, bacterial, or viral.

But can this also be one of the causes of fibro?

--------------------
Ema

Posts: 394 | From Southern California | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

Hi Ema, can you please post a link to this journal article?

What makes you think this is supposedly going to be a breakthrough?

And yes, for sure Lyme Disease is a cause of Fibromyalgia.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

I don't see how it will be a breakthrough, at least not a speedy one. You know how it takes forever to get any results out of new discoveries!

Maybe the info will help all who suffer from pain of any sort.

I wonder if an infection causes the blood vessel problem? If so, the infection still needs to be addressed.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was dx with Fibro in 1999...then later that year it was confirmed to be RSD...and Magnesium made the "Fibro" sore muscles go away...

If those with Fibro are supposed to have extra blood vessels, how come the phlebotomists can never find mine?

[confused] [bonk]

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvema
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26650

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More info

http://americannewsreport.com/nationalpainreport/fibromyalgia-researchers-say-discovery-could-change-treatment-of-chronic-pain-8820574.html

--------------------
Ema

Posts: 394 | From Southern California | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
This is made to look like a news site. It is not. It's a public relations website.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Interesting article. Explains it a bit more.

A quote I found interesting:

"About 10 million Americans suffer from fibromyalgia, and one in 20 people worldwide."

When I was dxd in 1980 with FM, there were 2 million people who had it.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because there are so many drugs used for it now, most doctors are quick to diagnose FMS and prescribe whatever the lastest drug rep is peddling. The pharmaceuticals companies are making big $$$ selling those medications for a condition that is a syndrome with no known cause setting aside this latest information about FMS.
Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement