LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Detox still a mystery to me

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Detox still a mystery to me
Marz
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was rifing a few months ago, I told the ND I was juicing greens and veggies and taking fermented cabbage.

She said not to do that because it would be causing a big herx.

I thought that those were supposed to help to clear a herx. (?)

I'm only on A-bart now and started BW's NT detox, but backed down on it because I was feeling worse.

Also do milk thistle, charcoal, GSE, oreganol, lemon water, etc.

Posts: 1297 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
You'd have to ask the ND to explain in detail the how & why of what you suggested. Too many variables missing from that conversation / translation.

My theory is that too much condensed juicing is not good for a body. It can be too intense and really the body is not intended to consume food in that way. Maybe it was the amount - or the proportion to solid food?

Juicing can be very good - in the right amount. For daily routine, a little bit of juice can a long way, and whole food is vital, too.

Even if from the best veggies, it's no longer "whole" or as complex as nature intended food to be. It's too much like sugar, really and the bulk, the fiber of whole food is vastly important for many reasons even beyond blood glucose management.

The liver needs the time for food to digest and work its way through. The colon needs the bulk to move along, too, and it captures waste products - in order to "detox" as that moves along. That takes time.

Two or three 4-8 ounces of vegetable juice (with much coming from watery veggies like celery & cucumbers) a day would seem the max and never as a full meal replacement.

Some do far larger servings than that and that can really push the body far beyond to work harder - it's a shock to the body, a rush. They body does not do well with a rush, a flash-flood of sorts.

Even worse when no whole food is in the stomach with it (and the protein, fat, complex carb ratio is out of whack).

This chapter can help demystify how the body metabolizes waste to help "detox" (a term I generally dislike as it can imply an event more than on-going support).

I really do hate the term "detox" and so often see people do way - way - too much. The liver and kidneys should not be bombarded with so much as I see many list as their "detox" methods. It's a very tender balance.

And some of the more aggressive products are just too harsh for many. They each may have their place and be fine for some body types, but this should not be a shotgun approach. Comprehensive, yes. Just not bombardment.

From “The One Earth Herbal Sourcebook” (Tillotson, et.al.)

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/diseases/understanding-the-liver.html

Understanding the Liver
-

[ 08-18-2013, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Additional detail and explanations here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030792;p=0

LIVER & KIDNEY SUPPORT & and several HERXHEIMER support links, too.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
In addition to liver, kidneys, skin, the lymphatic system is often overwhelmed by infection / treatment. It does not have a circulation system of its own and must be physically manipulated by movement with our body activity, warmth or massage.

Gentle LYMPHATIC massage, gentle exercise or a warm (never hot) bath are each also very helpful. Skin brushing, too. GENTLE is the word for each of these, too.
-

Marz
Member # 3446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your explanation makes sense to me. Thanks so much Keetler. It makes sense to eat foods in their complex state, etc.

I was so lazy then and not wanting to chop veggies. I was using huge amounts of spinach.

Posts: 1297 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Hey, you don't necessary have to chop veggies to cook them. Many can be cut after they cook. So much easier that way, especially with carrots.

Of course, puncture potatoes, squashes, beets, turnips or similar items before baking. Potatoes went rocketing off a grill during a college cookout, sound effects and all. I will always get a laugh when I recall that. Apparently the guys in charge of the potatoes had never heard about that.
-

Marz
Member # 3446

Keebler is detox for neurologicl symptoms, headache in particular, any different from detox in general?

Since detox is a good thing, why is it bad to get rid of toxins too fast? I suppose it's a liver thing? It just can't handle the toxins that fast?

I think I started N-T detox at too high a dose and have stopped it, but not much better yet.

Unpunctured potatoes on the grill might be a cheap form of entertainment on the 4th of July! Made me laugh!

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I would never say "detox" is a good thing because it's definition can vary so widely. I just never use that term because it just seems so imprecise and can be misinterpreted so easily.

I would say, however, that liver / kidney support is a good thing so that those organs can work easier and better.

The difference is that "detox" often seems to involve force where as "support" facilitates but does not push the body too far, too fast.

Some very good professionals in this area may use the term "detox" but you just need to know what they mean when they say it. What's their philosophy and thought on this matter?

No energy to answer your questions, though others may have some things to share. The links posted will answer many questions and offer fuller explanations, though. Hope that helps.

And, it's always best to be guided by a LL ND or someone with similar education and skill in this area, who will know how to guide YOUR body, at particular points in time.
-

yellowumbrella
Member # 41156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yellowumbrella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lots of great info!
Posts: 6 | From VA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement