LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Hemp Oil

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hemp Oil
lymeboy
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there everyone. I saw a (possibly dubious) youtube video about Hemp oil in treatment of Lyme. Has anyone here tried this?

Hemp oil is not an illicit drug. It is just hemp.

I can say, however, that cannabis products have helped me tremendously the few times I have used them. Consuming edibles has cleared up most symptoms for days straight, making me feel as if I am in remission. Vaporizing is also a big help.
I AM NOT recommending Cannabis use, just sharing my experiences. Someone that hasn't had experience with cannabis could wind up a bit uncomfortable if they don't know what they're doing.
I am mostly neuro patient and it has helped me tremendously. It's the ONLY thing that takes all symptoms away for hours to days at a time. I wish I lived in a legal area, my life would be a lot better. I'm considering moving.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
It's not going to affect spirochetes, directly, still hemp oil is an excellent nutrient for nerve and brain cells and excellent support for relief of various symptoms, as you know.

There is no connection to cannabis as they are so very distantly related. I don't understand what you say about wishing you lived in a "legal area" as you can buy hemp oil from many different vendors, usually shipping from Canada.

That you speak to "cannabis products" has nothing to do with hemp. They are totally different. If you want to talk about pot, that would be a different discussion thread. And there have been several that speak to marijuana's benefit with certain symptoms (though it will not directly affect lyme and smoke should be avoided).

So, if you are talking about Hemp OIL, that is very good in so many ways, just not like pot at all.

I suggest Hemp Protein POWDER, that way, you have the benefits of the fatty acid/oil along with the protein.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, this is getting a lot more attention and I think we'll see more of it as people start to incorporate the oils into treatment. I know several people who insist that this has really helped them.
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use hemp protein powder and hemp seeds in my green smoothies.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeboy
Unregistered

Keebler, apologies, my post was a bit scattershot. I was saying on one hand, the legal hemp has been said to help with Lyme.

But as well as that, I have used illicit cannabis to great results. I also am not recommending anyone do this. But it does help for some of us. It is the ONLY thing that makes me feel "normal"

I really appreciate the suggestion of the powder. I just may go this way.

Sorry for the rambling post.

Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
"Legal hemp" is not at all marijuana. Totally different. Hemp is legal to buy in the U.S. though it's not legal to grow (because Congress was / is too stupid to understand that folks can't get high from hemp).

Canada is the best source for hemp products and they are in nearly every U.S. natural foods market and vitamin shop, too. At all supplement on-line vendors, too.

Hey, no apologies necessary. Just wanted other readers to know that hemp and marijuana are totally different. I never understood why some of the "legalize pot" campaigns even bring up hemp as they are not at all similar (though just very, very distant "cousins")

Not sure about the medical marijuana access in your state but that might be a consideration. I do beg folks, though, to not smoke it. Hot smoke of any kind is never good for any human lungs. There are other ways.

And, also explore other pain relief & calming methods such as massage, magnesium, as they are often overlooked.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great article on a Lymie recovery:

http://www.collective-evolution.com/2013/09/12/amazing-story-the-healing-power-of-cannabis-oil-on-lyme-disease-and-lyme-co-infections/#_

Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
CD57,

Nice article on Cannabis Oil. Very timely.

For those who live in states with medical marijuana laws, Cannabis Oil would certainly fall within that arena - and purity would be best through a medical dispensary.

Best to first consult with LLMD, of course, so that all considerations with protocol will balance.

LL NDs may have more detail and, other options for those who live where Cannabis Oil is not available.

A reminder that Hemp Oil (for as good as it is for what it is) is in no way any kind of substitution. It's not at all the same.
-

Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have used Hemp Oil, Dixie Dew drops. I no longer have Lyme Disease but I found using hemp oil produces a very mellow, relaxed feeling without the feeling of being high.

http://dixiebotanicals.com/products/dew-drops-hemp-oil-supplement/

There is lots written about this product if you do a search on the internet. Many are using it for pain and anxiety issues.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Keebler:

A reminder that Hemp Oil (for as good as it is for what it is) is in no way any kind of substitution. It's not at all the same.
-

-
Especially if you are talking about cancer or other dreaded diseases like Lyme.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeboy
Unregistered

If Lyme qualified for medical MJ, I'd be drinking cannabis oil right now! Love the stuff. Unfortunately I do not live in an area that has a very "liberal" MMJ stance. I'd have to be dying to get it. Lyme is not a consideration.

For now I'll just try to figure out how to move out of this awful state.

ABXnomore, in regards to your taking Hemp oil, and feeling a nice calm mellow feeling, without the high. -Hemp does contain cannabinoids. Cannabinoids are the part of the MJ plant that sometimes give you the "couch lock" where you feel too high to move. When combined with THC, it produces a very "stoned feeling" if the cannabinoid count is very high in the particular strain you are using. There are thousands of MJ strains, each with different effects. Sativas are THC dominant, and some strains can actually help you get things done. Indicas are cannabinod heavy, and are great for managing pain and anxiety. Like I said - it's the only thing that makes me feel normal.

Hemp is not MJ. Does not contain THC (if not a microscopic amount) But there is a small presence of cannabinoids, which gives that nice easygoing feeling.

[ 09-14-2013, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: lymeboy ]

lymeboy
Unregistered

A link that says it better than me:

http://www.naihc.org/hemp_information/content/hemp.mj.html

surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am in a legal medical state, fully support that law. Fully support it.

Personally, I can't take anything that will make my brain fog or memory worse-

Brain fog and memory loss are the scariest symptoms for me, and the reason I've spent all my money on LLMD's, antibiotics, supplements, in the first place.

Cannabis impedes memory, and can induce brain fog.
It won't bother you as much while you take it tho...LOL.
But seriously. That's why it's a no go for my Lyme brain.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeboy
Unregistered

I totally get that. I have had horrible brain fog and memory issues. MMJ has only helped. Short term memory loss only lasts for the duration of the effects for me. Never made it worse long term, in fact, somewhat better. But everyone is different, and if it makes you nervous, it shoudl probably be avoided.
riverspirit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19435

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riverspirit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The subject of cannabis and hemp oil is indeed very confusing:

There is hemp seed oil (which one can purchase in their local store)

There is also (where legal) marijuana soaked in olive oil, and used topically, which can be helpful for pain. Salves from such oil are also available at legal dispensaries.

And then there is what is often called "rick simpson oil" which is similar in some ways to hash oil. This one is very popular with the alternative cancer community and also with other people with serious and debilitating illnesses.

Apparently (and i do not know from personal experience)
the rick simpson oil (cannabis oil) kills cancer cells.

Dixie dew drops are not any of the above. I tried them once and had a horrible burning-throat experience that lasted for over a week. Obviously will never take those again. The dixie dew drops are made from industrial hemp from canada. Very over-priced. No, I never received a refund.

There are other alternatives if you live in a legal state and don't want to smoke or get stoned or take any of the above. You can get high-cbd tinctures. Some are made with raw leaves in vegetable glycerin. Some are made in alcohol, like any other tincture. You can take one drop in a little water.

I have no investment in any of this. It is time for people to come out of the closet and to share their experiences: good, bad and otherwise.

Personally, I have no desire to get stoned, and it is new to me that you can ingest medical marijuana and get healing help without the high.

Hope this helps with clarity.....

If you live in a legal state, your local dispensary can help you.

Posts: 164 | From North America | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riverspirit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19435

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riverspirit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CD57 ~ thanks for posting

that was an inspiring article indeed.

Posts: 164 | From North America | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeboy
Unregistered

Ingesting MJ will not get you high unless it has first been heated. There is a community of folks who juice the leaves and/ or the buds and have recovered from multiple "phantom" illnesses. Juicing MJ will not get you stoned. The cbd's will produce a relaxed feeling, but it is not a "high".
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quite frankly, I have been interested in this for quite a while---the cannabis oil, that is. I'm certainly not interested in getting high, simply symptom relief. But I don't live in a state with a MM law.

The directions for making the oil, while they say it's simple, sound complex for someone ill and living in an apartment. Sigh.

Just looking for a little relief, but no go with this one, I'm afraid.

Lymeboy, if you come up with a solution, please let me know!

According to a website I just checked, NJ has a MM law, but from what I know this isn't true. Christie just ok'd it very recently for some tots with specific conditions that it helps for which there is no other treatment---pretty specific! ANd very new.

The powers that be, as usual, would rather that we suffer and take meds that may not do the trick and are toxic to boot---much better for the bottom line! Just not our bottom line.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeboy
Unregistered

NJ does indeed have a MMJ law. But it is among the strictest in the nation. Doctors prescribe xanax and oxy like candy. But you have to be a cancer patient, or among a few other very serious diseases to obtain a prescription for MMJ.

Completely stupid, imo.
I know folks say that making oil is easy, but it is definitely NOT easy. It can take a few tries. Which is time consuming and terribly expensive. So yes, you are right, it is too much trouble and potentially too much $.

I am very sorry to say, I have no solutions, except plan to move the hell outta NJ. I hate it here. It is not for me. Never has been. But with my current financial situation, I don't see that happening soon. I would rather be sick and able to at least enjoy my life a little bit than sit here in this nightmare.

I should mention this, because I know I sound like some kind of advocate with an agenda (definitely not the case). - At some point in the recent past, I used MMJ somewhat regularly (weekly give or take) That few months gave me the biggest improvement I've had -EVER- hands down. I was on my motorcycle daily, riding sometimes up to 200 miles at a time (with short breaks and gas breaks of course). This was a distant fantasy less than a year ago. I did a whole bunch of other things I couldn't have imagined, like spend an entire day at 6 flags.

I believe it was the MMJ that relaxed my body and mind, relieving the stress and giving my immune system some time to catch up. I cannot see this another way. I had the best months of my treatment during this period, and I am 99% sure that is why.

That is what sparked my interest in Hemp oil. It is legal, and could produce similar effects ( I never used MM irresponsibly, just for symptom relief) without the psychoactive symptoms (which I honestly don't mind at all). So I think I will be trying the powder.

This is what has helped ME. I am not telling anyone what to do. It is not for everyone.

Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG, I just read the blog post listed above by CD57! Holy cow! This is unreal. I only had thought that it would help with symptom relief---which would go a very long way in it's own right.

I would give anything to be able to buy such stuff that is reliably what it should be. But that is a distant dream in my state.

I just can't see how I could make it in a state where it is illegal, in a very over-stuffed apartment, and being basically disabled.

And I am suffering so much, that without symptom relief, let alone treatment that works . . . it doesn't look good for me.

And I'm too sick to think about moving to another state--not at all practical. I'm so sick of so many natural remedies being made illegal, and being made to suffer as a result unendingly.

There have been way too many remedies that helped me immensely, that were completely natural, that the FDA banned, including a fabulous supplement in the 80's that worked

miraculously for pain--a combo of homeopathy, herbs, magnesium, & B6 that no one has been able to replicate since.

I want to know how the woman in the blog post was able to make it herself to get better. Yes, they say it's easy, but . . .

BTW, as you likely know, the hemp oil that you can buy in a store or the internet, is not at all the same thing---as Keebler also pointed out. Good for you nutritionally, but doesn't' have the same effects. Oops, you already posted that.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lymeboy:
I have used illicit cannabis to great results. I also am not recommending anyone do this. But it does help for some of us. It is the ONLY thing that makes me feel "normal"

My cousin swears by this stuff.

I like the juicing idea as I can't smoke it.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Does your cousin have Lyme? Or just garden variety anxiety, etc.?
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, undiagnosed lyme for 30 years. She had the rash but doc's didn't know it existed in CA back then. She has a hard time now, but says this stuff really helps her feel normal. She buys baked goods with it in it.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

She's lucky that she lives in a state with a MMJ law---that would make all the difference. Especially since ingesting it is a whole different thing than smoking it (which I sure wouldn't do).
Catgirl
Member # 31149

She's in really bad shape (disabled and no money). If/when I win the lotto, she's the first person I'm helping.

--------------------

lymeboy
Unregistered

Ca is where I want to go. I love it there. And their MM laws are exactly what I'm in need of. Don't see this happening here anytime soon.
Catgirl
Member # 31149

We used to live there. It is so crowded now (tons of people, tons of smog).

--------------------

surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've had the federal law over ride our state law, and come in and shut down dispensaries - (CA)

But it is said CA is next in line for selling it over the counter to adults, like CO and WA will be doing Jan. 1st,

which is hard for me to wrap my head around, being in my mid- 40's + Personally, I think the whole state will be high for the first 4 weeks the day it's available at the gas station like cigarettes.

I saw a 60 minute news show TV piece on Colorado and how well they run the medical MJ- quite interesting - they have it down.

My point is, I think it will be coming to most states- medically at least- if they take lessons from CO and learn to do it right, and get tax income on it- less people in jail.

Not helping anyone now, I know, and am sorry.
Off topic from medical- sorry too.

--------------------
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

P.S. Cat
No smog in Northern CA where I live- it's beautiful.

--------------------
doing okay!

riverspirit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19435

California is a large state. There is almost every-possible eco-system: desert, ocean, silent forests, crowded cities, medium sized towns, tiny towns, mountains, you name it.

The only "negative" of california is how expensive it can be for housing, etc.

Not all of California is polluted. Many clean places.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement