LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Update on my Flagyl induced Neuropathy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Update on my Flagyl induced Neuropathy
Cattail
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cattail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just an update for those of you who this may help.

After 4 months of flaring type of Neuropathy from Flagyl, it has decreased about 50%. The interesting thing about this is that it decreased on Diflucan. A few months ago I was not able to take Diflucan for my yeast because it turned my Neuropathy into a much more severe case. I know the Neuropathy was a direct result of the Flagyl because I got it after my second dose in my feet and it turned very bad during my 7th dose, but wondering how does a yeast issue and yeast treatment effect Neuropathy. I find it interesting.

Posts: 319 | From Mass | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the update! I'm glad it's reduced by half. Hopefully as more time passes, it will disappear.

That is very interesting about the yeast drug reducing the neuropathy.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cattail
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cattail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...and it made it much worse a few months ago. Thought that was interesting too.
Posts: 319 | From Mass | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it made it worse before because you had a yeast herx. (then you killed off more or followed the diet and now it's not as severe)

I find the same thing to be true for me. My neuropathy in my feet is WAY better since going on the Body Ecology Diet.

I also had a flare from flagyl. I plan to never take it again. Same thing with quinolones.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cattail
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24357

I agree about the Flagyl, that csused it , not a doubt in my mind. Would a herx make the Neuropathy worse by it moving further up your legs and spreading it with no improvement until I tried the Diflucan again? I seemed to be a spreading up legs and arms more. You may be right, I'm just trying to figure it out.
Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very interesting Cattail. Can I ask you all how you know neuropathy pain from joint pain? I think I've mentioned here (maybe a 100 times LOL) that my feet, the tops of both feet (cuniform joint) became incredibly painful and swollen one week after starting abx for Lyme. Both at once.

I was on Ceftin at that time. I did do several rounds of flagyl and ciprto over 2 years (along with other abx) but at that time I was only on Ceftin... I always thought that it was a herx, and that lyme got lodged in there...but could the ceftin have caused this pain, could it be neuropathy and not arthritis? (the xrays showed inflammation)

[ 10-23-2013, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: Kudzuslipper ]

Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNT
Member # 42349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cattail...

When I read your post about the Flagyl & neuropathy this summer I really felt bad for you. I had something similar happen after taking oral flagyl.

Something I haven't figured out yet, and which is slowly killing me. I have so many, many symptoms now-much more severe than ever before this happening.

I have wondered what exactly did happen. Was it a Bart. flare, a Babs flare, Lyme flare, a yeast overgrowth, a severe herx, or toxin buildup. All of the above, probably.

I now have tiny subcutaneous nodules or "pearls" over much of my body. After the flagyl they originally were mainly confined to my chest. Within the past couple months they have really flared in my legs, and now my arms. They are along the bones, and now in the muscles.

Do you have anything like this under your skin?

That is interesting you had a reaction to the diflucan right afterwards, too. I tried some diflucan right after this happened to me because a metametrix test showed a very high load of fungus(d-aribinose- 300!!) And that too, caused me worsening coordination issues. I wonder if it would help me now.

Also, has anyone else had this high of aribinose levels from a test?

Since both drugs are azoles, I assumed I had a problem with that component in the drugs. But it may have been a die-off, and, or, a flare-up of one of the other infections.

I'm glad you gave us an update. Keep us posted.

Posts: 1308 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My former LLMD said you have to take a lot of B vitamins to avoid Flagyl side effects.
Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rowingmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 41213

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rowingmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kudzuslipper:
Very interesting Cattail. Can I ask you all how you know neuropathy pain from joint pain? I think I've mentioned here (maybe a 100 times LOL) that my feet, the tops of both feet (cuniform joint) became incredibly painful and swollen one week after starting abx for Lyme. Both at once.

I had a very similar pain on the tops of both feet.

The pain in the bottoms of my feet was substantial in the mornings, but would resolve after an hour or so.

The pain in the joints in the tops of my feet remained there all day and would get worse with walking. Not a fun thing when you power walk the dogs for an hour daily.

I had been dosing Japanese knotweed (1/4 tsp TID), but it wasn't until I added houttuynia (1/4 tsp TID) that this pain completely disappeared within 2 days. This is Buhner's/Zhang's herb for bartonella.

I continue on houttuynia and the pain has not returned.

--------------------
13 yo DX PANS/Tourette's/Asperger's/ADHD treated for Igenex positive bartonella/IND lyme with 2 years of abx treatment. Weaned off abx April 2013 at 80% improvement. Continuing with Buhner bartonella/babesia protocols. Aug 2014 99% improvement.

Posts: 265 | From Canada, Ontario | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNT
Member # 42349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
rowingmom...

What brand of houttuynia do you use? And where do you get it? I have used Nutramedix, but doesn't seem to be very strong, though it has helped me.

My LLMD feels that alot of my neuropathy could be Bartonella. The bart. ABX are helping some, but I have terrible GI issues (gas/bloating) with ABX. So trying to keep that to a minimum.

Posts: 1308 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement