LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Severely Dry, Chapped Hands

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Severely Dry, Chapped Hands
momintexas
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have any good home remedies for really dry, chapped hands??

It came on so quickly...and lotions seem to sting so badly.

Thanks for any information.

Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carmen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like shea butter from Walmart. .. all natural. Until you get some coat them in vasoline and put cotton gloves on for the night. I wouldnt do that on a regular basis though.
Posts: 803 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coconut oil.

Or my favorite, organic butter...

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use coconut oil too. My hands are bad too.

MIT.. you may want to look to the source of your problem. I found that dishwashing soaps and even hand soaps (liquid) were making a mess out of my skin.

I now make sure to use gloves when washing dishes and I buy organic soaps for my hand washing. Helps.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have it too. Try to find hand lotion that doesn't have water as the first ingredient. Believe me that's hard to find.

But I finally found Lubriderm Intense Skin Repair Ointment. I also buy the smaller one for my purse.
I buy it at Walmart.

All winter long my hands feel dry. Coconut oil doesn't help my hands, in fact it makes my hands feel even more dry??? But it is great for the rest of my body in the winter. Go figure.

I never thought about Tutu suggestion of washing dishes and wearing gloves. DUH? I do buy handsoap in large refill sized bottles that isn't labeled as antibacterial.

Antibacterial soap makes my hands horrible. I have dryness issues with eyes, mouth etc too which tells me there is other reasons for hands to be this bad.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the suggestions. I hadn't really thought about that about soap.

So far, not much success with the coconut oil, which surprised me. I will look for the shea butter and Lubriderm.

Razzle, if feel a little dumb asking this but.....do you mean grocery store, put on your food organic butter?

Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
map.. Even the liquid soaps that are not antibacterial can be very drying. I think I am allergic to something in these soaps.

I am now using coconut oil soap. Found it at the health food store.

Lubriderm probably has parabens. So be careful there. I'm definitely going to look for the shea butter. I will read the label carefully though!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Momintexas,

Not a dumb question. Yes, grocery store organic butter. Well, I get mine from Trader Joe's, but the point is to use organic. Can even get unsalted organic...

I used to get horribly cracked, chapped knuckles when I was going to College (in the mountains in Montana), and ran out of lotion. So I discovered that butter was way faster for healing the cracks on my hands.

I would put the butter on just as I got into bed, then put a pair of old socks over my hands so I wouldn't get butter on my sheets...by morning, my hands felt soooooo much better. So I never went back to lotion (most lotion contains alcohol, which is terribly drying for the skin) the rest of my College life...

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Member # 23391

Wow.....that's really interesting. I like the idea of it. Thanks so much for sharing!
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree-liquid hand soap is the worst for my hands-I don't know why. One of my coworkers very sweetly buys very expensive scented hand soap from some fancy company and it stinks to the high heavens and makes my hands feel like I'm washing them in acid.

I don't have the heart to tell her I hate it.

Plain unscented Castille soap is my favorite.

I mix grapeseed oil with a bit of lanolin, and a few drops of Thieve's Oil and rub it on my body at night. The residue I rubb into my hands real good.

When I read the ingredients of some beauty products it turns my stomach. Especially lipstick and gloss-cause I'm eating it, essentially. Haha.

That organic butter is a great idea-I am going to try it on my feet.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with tutu - try to find the source of the problem. Dry skin is common symptom of thyroid issues. When my LLMD saw how dry my hands and arms were he put me on thyroid meds.

Eucerin cream is amazing for dry skin.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Momintexas,

I just started breaking open vitamin e capsules to put on my cheeks which are extremely ruddy looking, and on my wrist where I have scars that are not going away.

It's been two days.

My face is 30 percent better. Even my arm looks less red, and a little more faded.

I would try vit e. It repairs so it should help. After a few weeks maybe you could try the coconut or other lotions with an oil base to protect from the elements.

well wishes,

2roads

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Momintexas,

I just started breaking open vitamin e capsules to put on my cheeks which are extremely ruddy looking, and on my wrist where I have scars that are not going away.

It's been two days.

My face is 30 percent better. Even my arm looks less red, and a little more faded.

I would try vit e. It repairs so it should help. After a few weeks maybe you could try the coconut or other lotions with an oil base to protect from the elements.

well wishes,

2roads

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen
Member # 42834

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have this problem too, but my LLMD says the dry chapping is from inflammation- something he commonly sees in his Lyme patients. His solution: 10% hydrocortisone cream OTC. Works like a charm for me. Might be worth a try...

--------------------
Ellen
_ _ ___________ _ _
lyme disease
dysautonomia
Chiari malformation
anxiety

Posts: 72 | From Birmingham, AL | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Member # 23391

Thank you so much for all of the great suggestions! I really appreciate it.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement