LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » white spots on fingernails?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: white spots on fingernails?
2roads
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy New Year Lyme Family!

I have been noticing my sons finger nails, and on three nails he has a white fleck.

I read on Steve's post it could be an indicator of a mineral deficiency, maybe zinc.

He doesn't seem to have the symptoms for that though.

Any thoughts on what mineral, or what this could be.

Other physical manifestations are random extremity flutters, trouble being still, manic comments, and as always, some stammering. Mind very busy.

Thanks Loads,

2roads

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too had white flecks on my fingernails as a teenager and in my 20's.
Other symptoms of low zinc include acne, wirey eyebrows, difficulty making decisions.

Looking back, I also had many many symptoms of low magnesium.
Low minerals are a common problem.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SLML
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42986

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLML     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zinc Deficiency.
Posts: 123 | From Washington State | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Carol and SLML.

I just started him on Gummivites that are mineral rich.

I am also waiting for Mag Glycinate to come in. I had an older brand which I started for him, and within three days he complained of rogue pains. I stopped to wait for the freshest batch.

Not sure if it was related and why, but I didn't want to take a chance.

up

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zinc. When any of us get white spots, we take zinc and they go away.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Thanks Six.

I don't know if the gummis will have enough zinc in them to deal with the problem. It's just a starting point.

What do you guys use (for kids)?

He's 105 pounds now....., really starting to thicken.

I also started him on Nordic Naturals Vegan (algae) DHA mostly, and EPA when he started the gummis.

I want to make sure he tolerates before we go back to magnesium. If rogue pains begin again, it's that. Not sure why that would be though.

Thanks & Happy New Year to all

2roads
Member # 4409

ps- just another interesting tid bit.

my daughters don't, but my sons toe nails grow into the tips of his toes.

They bend as they grow. They don't need to be that long to do this either.

We have to trim them because they start to hurt. When the nail is trimmed the area where it was is a line of red until it heals.

My husband and I don't have this either. I don't know where he inherited this from.

Anyone elsa can relate?

Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took my daughter to the naturopath as her nails break easily, have white spots, and her toe nails also bend as they grow.

She put her on the KPU immediately, plus is trying to correct the GI tract for mineral absorption.

What was funny was that she started dreaming almost every night, since she started on zinc.

Be prepared for a flush of heavy metals and toxins, so keep both kidneys and organs clean (we use chlorella, basically, plus bear garlic tincture), but whatever works for you.

The naturopath says that in 3 months, we shall see some results in her nails, so let's see!!

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Brussels,

Can you remind me what the therapy is for KPU in kids?

Thanks Much

SLML
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42986

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLML     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zinc Deficiency actually causes lack of dreams. Increasing Zinc with B-6 and people start dreaming again. Read about the research from William Walsh at the Pfieffer Treatment Center. I think in those that are zinc deficient, they may experience a worsening of symptoms for 3 weeks, then followed by improvement. There is something by Solaray vitamins called BioZinc. It is Zinc Piconolate (which is neuroprotective in the piconolate form) as well as B-6. This is what I have my son take as he was zinc and B-vitamin deficient per his organic acid test.
Posts: 123 | From Washington State | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SLML
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42986

Zinc Deficiency actually causes lack of dreams. Increasing Zinc with B-6 and people start dreaming again. Read about the research from William Walsh at the Pfieffer Treatment Center. I think in those that are zinc deficient, they may experience a worsening of symptoms for 3 weeks, then followed by improvement. There is something by Solaray vitamins called BioZinc. It is Zinc Piconolate (which is neuroprotective in the piconolate form) as well as B-6. This is what I have my son take as he was zinc and B-vitamin deficient per his organic acid test.
SLML
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42986

Zinc Deficiency actually causes lack of dreams. Increasing Zinc with B-6 and people start dreaming again. I read about it in the research from William Walsh at the Pfieffer Treatment Center. I think in those that are zinc deficient, they may experience a worsening of symptoms for 3 weeks, then followed by improvement. There is something by Solaray vitamins called BioZinc. It is Zinc Piconolate (which is neuroprotective in the piconolate form) as well as B-6. This is what I have my son take as he was zinc and B-vitamin deficient per his organic acid test.
2roads
Member # 4409

Thanks SLML. Is your son young like mine?

This organic acid test, what does it look for? Can a regular doctor prescribe?

Might it test for zinc?

Thanks for your help.

Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry for late response. I'm knocked down by the KPU and so is my daughter!

She's using.
-the Core from Biopure (1/3) capsule a day (she's thin, 10 years old), before eating
- omega 3, after food.
(morning)

Evening:
- mineral liquid (Biopure)
- Copper (she takes Cuprum metalicum X4).

Very good value for what it does. Amazingly strong detox reactions, she needs chlorella, bear garlic, Rechtsregulat, anything that helps binding toxins, heavy metals out.

Her liver and kidneys are overcharged, so we have to do that even in lower amounts (I will try with 1/5 of a capsule).

she's dreaming more and more, and so am I!!!

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The organic acid test is from
Great Plains Lab
or Metramedix

it's a urine test, also checks for yeast and clostridium overgrowth.

Needs a Dr. signature, or it will cost more. You can order the kit, very easy, everything you need to send it back.
Excellent information, we've done 2-3 on my daughter.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

thanks brussels.

So the doctor thinks your daughters nails are due to KPU issues.

I was told my son may have that too. Please keepme posted with how it goes. I may have to advance to that.

Thanks Much!

Surprise, it checks out like a basic urine panel, and also looks for yeast and clostridium? Not sure what the latter is. Will have to look up.

I would be interested in that, especially for the yeast and bacteria check. Thanks.

2roads
Member # 4409

Surprise, I looked up the test.

Lots of things measured and lots of chances to go out of range.

Not sure what that would mean or how we would treat though.

How does your physician handle the results?

surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It depends on the physician, but if the test comes back clearly high yeast, it's treated with either a prescribed anti- fungal or herbs-

the DNA part of the test (some have this) will actually state which prescriptions and herbs will be effective for the strain of infection, which are resistant.

Clostridia is C. Diff. it also checks other bacteria's, good bacteria's, etc. haven't seen the test in 2-3 years, but it's widely popular.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement