LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Rash? Allergic reaction?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rash? Allergic reaction?
Tbrown2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tbrown2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My thighs have been itchy the past few days like that annoying you can stop scratching no matter what itchy and now I'm

starting to get a few red blotches on my legs that hot to the touch. Am I having an allergic reaction? Bed bugs? Fleas? Herx?

--------------------
T. Brown

CDC Lyme Positive
Co infections? Who knows...
Bands 18+ 30+39+41+45+58+66+ IGG
23+39+41+IGM

Posts: 351 | From Boston MA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you post a picture, TBrown?

Me and Kudzu are the Rash Queens around LN.

We can take a look see at it and see if it looks familiar to one of ours...

Hey Kudz? [Smile]

Did you start and new meds? Is your throat or ears itchy?

If you take a benedryl does the itching and rash go away?

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tbrown2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tbrown2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Il try to post a picture in a little bit I just took Benadryl so hasn't had Time to do anything yet ears and throat are not itchy. Been on the same meds for about 8 weeks now no change. I

just sprayed one leg with anti itch/anti fungal cream and put healing anti itchy/anti dry cracked skin on the other leg to see which one works. I am hoping it's just the cold weather mixed

with the Hott shower that does it. Hopefully it's not yeast I didn't even know guys could get yeast infections but I'm on 125 billion probiotic units per day so I don't think it's that

--------------------
T. Brown

CDC Lyme Positive
23+39+41+IGM

Posts: 351 | From Boston MA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tbrown, I've been having a lot a problems like this myself this winter.

It's been so cold this year in Mass, that could be the problem.

Going from cold/windy - to hot inside is never good. I've also had very dry skin this winter-flaky...

Steve

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tbrown, winters are horrible for me and my skin. We even invested in humidifier attached to our furnace to help with dryness.

I can't take dry heat. That helped so I'm not blowing light bulbs and the electric switches in our home but it didn't help my skin....

Just a few months ago I decided to start slapping Coconut Oil on me everyday after my shower. First I noted that my itching, bumpy, lyme elbows didn't bother me anymore.

I also realized that other winter rashes are not appearing. My body loves the coconut oil. A rash popped up on my torso and breasts last week.

I had a reaction to a embedded tick in Dec on one of my breasts. Pretty bad, but I never thought to use Coconut oil on my stomach and breast areas???

So I'm now slopping the oil on my new rashes also daily. Made a big difference in just a couple days. I'm sure the latest tick deposited no telling what in me.

Skin issues have been a big part of my bartonella symptoms that didn't start until after 2 Lone Stars got me in '05.

Coconut oil rocks. I just wish I could eat it daily like others do. Good for the outside of me, I'm sure it would be beneficial on the inside too.

Hot showers, even though we gravitate to heat especially in this cold winter, are not good for your skin.

Try it you might love it too.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tbrown2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42446

Now that I just googled male yeast infection I'm pretty nervous because the most itchy area is my inner thighs to my groin but

I don't have a really bad rash like the pictures. I don't have white discharge or a white tongue or anything either. Any male have an experience with a yeast infection?

--------------------
T. Brown

CDC Lyme Positive
23+39+41+IGM

steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I did about four years ago, not fun!!! My doctor gave me some cream, THANKS be to GOD.

I didn't know what the hell it was, but I was very happy it was yeast and not something worst.

The cream worked real quick "(again)" Thank God!!!

Can I get a genital yeast infection from my girlfriend? I thought only women got yeast infections.

Though yeast infections are more common in women, anyone can get one. It's possible for a man to get a genital yeast infection if he has unprotected sexual intercourse with a partner who has a genital yeast infection.

However, if your girlfriend has a yeast infection, it doesn't mean you'll get one too. Sexual transmission of yeast infections is uncommon.

Prolonged antibiotic use increases your risk of a yeast infection, and men and women with diabetes or impaired immune systems, such as those with HIV, are more susceptible to yeast infections.

Signs and symptoms of a male yeast infection include a reddish rash, itching or burning at the tip of the penis. Most male yeast infections are easily treated with over-the-counter antifungal treatments, such as Monistat (yes, men can use it too). Apply the medication directly to the affected skin twice daily for a week. If the rash doesn't go away, or if it recurs frequently, consult your doctor.

If you and your partner both have symptoms of genital yeast infection, it's important that you both be treated. Otherwise, you may keep reinfecting each other. Also, it's generally recommended that you refrain from sexual contact until all signs and symptoms of the infection are gone.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/male-yeast-infection/expert-answers/faq-20058464

Steve

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Males can also get a yeast infection if they have yeast in their G.I. tract. The first time hubby got one was when a doc had him do a vitamin c flush. The diarrhea from the vitamin c flush also flushed out candida in his G.I. tract.

At the time he was not on antibiotics -- this was a couple of years before his tickborne illnesses.

He did not know what was wrong and I didn't either since I had never had a yeast infection myself. Do not use over the counter cortisol cream to stop the itch -- will not work and will actually spread the infection.

If the infection is not too bad then nystatin cream will work (requires a prescription) or for more severe infections diflucan (prescription also) may be needed.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tbrown2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42446

It's just on my legs though and not really red at all it isn't near or on my genitals just on my inner thighs and where the leg meets the groin

--------------------
T. Brown

CDC Lyme Positive
23+39+41+IGM

seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Candida likes warm moist skin. For example women can get candida under their breasts or even their armpits.

I think candida is probably the most likely cause of your rash.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tbrown2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42446

Do I have to stop taking my antibiotics? What do I do? I already take 125 billion units of probiotics a day

--------------------
T. Brown

CDC Lyme Positive
23+39+41+IGM

Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi T. If it continues go to derm. If you've never had this before. They can tell if its fungal, or allergic, Likely it will be a non specific Dx allergic. Which means it could be Bart or babs or Lyme itself.

For relief, gold bond powder really helps the itch. If it is not fungal, I like to swab with alcohol, spray with cortaid hydrocortisone spray. Top off with gold bond powder.

Have you started any new meds, or new foods?

Believe it or not I have had luck wit homeopathic Urtica from Boiron. Follow the directions.

Good luck, nothing makes you feel
More out of sorts than itchy rashes.

Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Yes. Stop taking ALL antibiotics. You do not say which ones you are on, still, stop.

I would actually stop all Rx, but some Rx can't suddenly be stopped, but stop all that can.

I would stop all herbs, all supplements, too. Just because you could be allergic to just about anything and you need to sort it out.

If you have a ND, they can best advise you one what supplements would be of help right now. I think STINGING NETTLE LEAF (not root) would help but, again, a ND can best advise.

Homeopathics, though, should be fine and can be a nice help if you find the right ones.

Call your LLMD.

I had this from doxycycline, even after I had done fine with it before. All of the sudden, I got round red hot, itchy raised circles and the entire area itched.

And, I tried doxy again, 3 - 4 times in the following months, each time, this same reaction. Eight - 13 rounds sites, each time, in exactly the same places all below waist on hips and thighs. It took weeks for the pain and itch to subside. Weeks. And the grey patches left took months to disappear.

The itch and deep traveling searing pain from that itch and heat, well, It was so unbearable, I nearly did not survive. Seriously. Don't mess around with what could be an allergic reaction.

Mine was not the first report of this from doxycycline in a person with chronic lyme, actually, I later found out.

Any sign of an allergy and all Rx should be suspect. And to continue taking a med when there is sign of an allergy could cause it to get worse.

Now, it could be a herx. It could be causing "satellite" borrelia EM rashes . . . but you cannot be sure. AND to continue could put you at risk. So stop the Rx. Call your LLMD in the morning. Drink water. Eat well

I assume you've considered all foods (anything new?), personal care products, chemical exposures, etc. Any new sheets, clothing, carpet, textiles?

You ask about bed bugs or fleas so I assume you've already ruled both out.

Bottom line: allergy or not, this REACTION requires you stop suspect Rx and all your doctor.

Liver support may need to be revisited before you start a different Rx . . . still . . . I was on solid liver support and that did not stop the reaction I had. I know now that I will never take doxycycline again. Ever. It's likely that it was lyme reaction but there are safer ways for my body to address that. And that is fine with me.

Still, your LLMD should be able to guide you with the specifics of your situation.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
As Kudzuslipper recommends homeopathic UTICA by Boiron, that brand is sold in most natural foods market. Call the closest one to you to see if they have that.

ALOE VERA gel -- not with other stuff in it, though.

CALENDULA gel, too.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I would not use ANY powders as they can comprise the broken skin.

Not numbing, yet very soothing for various skin issues.

http://www.lilyofthedesert.com/shop/aloe-gelly/

Lily Of The Desert

Aloe Vera Gelly (notice how clear it is, free of oils and lotions) - it calms heat burns so maybe will help calm chemical burns (from an insect bite, that is?)

CALENDULA gel -- this is what helped me with those hot burning, itchy satellite rashes:

http://www.vitacost.com/boericke-tafel-califlora-calendula-gel

Boericke & Tafel Califlora® Calendula Gel

Many health markets carry this, as well as many web vendors.

==========================

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/completeazindex/a/calendula.htm

Benefits of Calendula

==========================

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=calendula%20officinalis

PubMed Search:

Calendula officinalis - 240 abstracts

One of those:
--------------------

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22315631

Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2012;2012:375671.

Epub 2012 Jan 24.

Wound Healing and Anti-Inflammatory Effect in Animal Models of Calendula officinalis L. Growing in Brazil.

Excerpt:

. . . This experimental study revealed that C. officinalis presented

anti-inflammatory and antibacterial activities as well as angiogenic and fibroplastic properties acting in a positive way on the inflammatory and proliferative phases of the healing process.
-

Tbrown2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42446

It's isn't really red anymore just itchy. I haven't been on anything new or done anything new I've been on doxy since first week of December but this started a few days ago.

Doesn't look like an allergic reaction I have really sensitive skin so I know what those look like. I'm kind of hoping it's just dry irritated skin but it's too localized and exactly where every

male yeast infection I googled shows except I don't have it on the genitals. I don't really want to stop my abx because I don't want to ruin my progress. I'm on doxy rifampin and pulse flagyl

but have been doing this for months no issue. I take high test probiotics as well. Are yeast infections continuously bothersome all day long? Because sometimes I don't notice it but I really notice it drying off after a hot shower.

--------------------
T. Brown

CDC Lyme Positive
23+39+41+IGM

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
A hot shower is not a good thing to do if there is any itching. It can make it much worse.

Has your skin gotten more cold exposure than usual? Are you wearing a layer UNDER your slacks? That is really important with frigid temps. A regular thickness of a pant will not be enough.

If your skin has been damaged by cold, it would likely burn and itch. However, the red blotches that are hot sound different from cold exposure. Sounds like an Rx reaction.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I responded to your saying around 2 pm today:

that it was so annoying you can't stop scratching no matter what -- itchy and now you're

"starting to get a few red blotches on my legs that hot to the touch." (end quote)

So, now you say at 9 pm:

" isn't really red anymore just itchy." (end quote)

Still, if 7 hours ago it was hot with red, that is still important detail. You / we cannot know why this is happening but anything suspect should be stopped, at least until tomorrow when you can talk with your LLMD's office manager.

Unless you know there is another reason and are absolutely certain but then you'd not be asking in that case, I assume.

You say you've been fine on the Rx and probiotics you've been taking for months. That is never a "free card" when it comes to possible allergic reaction. Things can change. Everything is to be considered suspect.

Blotches. Hot to touch. Signs. Your body is sending you polite signs.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
One night, one day off will not ruin progress. A week off will not. If this is an allergic reaction, it is important to sort that out. '

Taking a short break is just a hiccup compared to what could happen if this is an allergy warning sign - or even a sign that something must be eliminated or changed from the plan.

There will be options for how to proceed after you can clear the plate of as much as possible.
-

Tbrown2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42446

I do wear shorts underneath my jeans in the winter time. When I posted about the area being red I had just gotten out of the

shower and dried off and vigorously itched the area. I also didn't mention that I have a minor skin condition called dermographia (google image it it's pretty funny) where the

slightest touch makes the skin raised and red so it's hard to differ from that and if I have a rash or not. I have to leave the area alone for at least an hour to examine It. As of right now

the areas are not red only slightly but they are still itchy. I am worried about yeast because of the location but every bring else like smell discharge and deep red rash are non existent.

You are right Keebler I don't know what it is but I'm afraid to stop abx and lose ground gained and have it be just winter dry or irritated skin.

--------------------
T. Brown

CDC Lyme Positive
23+39+41+IGM

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
From medical advice I've received and articles read or lectures watched, it is strongly suggested to all:

No more hot showers (just warm enough to manage and with not too strong of water pressure hitting skin) and just gently blot with a clean fresh towel -- not the ones you've used before during this problem.

Vigorously drying with a towel can damage anyone's skin. So can a hot shower. Sorry.
-

Tbrown2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42446

And I was simply stating that I'm willing to stop my abx if need be

**edited negative comment**

[ 01-29-2014, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

--------------------
T. Brown

CDC Lyme Positive
23+39+41+IGM

Tbrown2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42446

Ok thank you Keebler I'll try out your suggestions going to call LLMD in the morning but will probably go to dermatologist and see what they think first. Cheaper that way haha

--------------------
T. Brown

CDC Lyme Positive
23+39+41+IGM

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I know. Believe me, we all know. We've all been there. The potentially serious nature of this prompts me to cut out the cozy greetings and get right to it. Others are likely in the same mode.

And many of us are just running on empty but still want to help however we can. So, if you get some folks who are just to the point, that is likely part of the reason.

It IS essential to stop any / all suspect Rx and supplements. And just about everything falls in that category.

If it were just dry, itching skin, I could contribute that to cold weather (shorts under jeans, though, NOT enough) . . . the hot shower and skin "abuse" from towel. I know that sounds odd but towels can abuse skin.

It's the hot blotches that scream at me. So, my posts -- and others' posts, too, may try to be crystal clear. Stop tonight. Sort it all. Call LLMD tomorrow. Rest well for this all will get sorted, promise.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
You say you will call your LLMD tomorrow but that you: "will probably go to dermatologist and see what they think first. Cheaper that way haha"

Arghhh.

Is that dermatologist ILADS educated an thoroughly lyme literate? If not, you will not be saving money. Not at all.

While this could be OTHER things, of course, you need your LLMD to be considered as you sort this out. You need not go in but you can call and talk with his assistant or him, take a few days off meds and see how it works out. Then, another phone call might be able to set out the next step.

However, I'd like to think you could get some education from your dermatologist but your dermatologist has already failed you if they have not instructed you to avoid hot shower and vigorous towel drying. And that shorts are not enough under jeans. You need two layers in the kind of winter we are having.
-

Tbrown2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42446

Ok thank you [Smile]

--------------------
T. Brown

CDC Lyme Positive
23+39+41+IGM

Tbrown2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42446

I was going to go to the derma strictly to see if it was a yeast problem then follow up with my LLMD pending the answer

--------------------
T. Brown

CDC Lyme Positive
23+39+41+IGM

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
As long as you will be on treatment, candida will have to be considered. But will the dermatologist know all the methods and choices you have? Likely not. Hopefully, but unless LL, they may not be able to help you much with your protocol even in regard to candida management.

As for if they see yeast on the skin, maybe. But then what, would be the question.

It is also probably wise to not wear the same pants that have been worn during this issue. Fresh ones, the layer of pant / long underwear that will next to your skin each day.

If you have not yet done so, be sure to have laundry soap that is free of bad stuff, free of dyes, perfumes, added chemicals.

Seventh Generation, BioKleen are just two safe brands.

Good luck to you. I hope this gets better soon.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
DYE in JEANS !

As I was just dishing up my red cabbage for dinner, admiring its lovely purple, it hit me and, again, disappointed that your dermatologist has not told you this.

The dye in jeans can be especially toxic. The bleach used on some styles, too. And even after washing, this can "keep on giving" and not in a good way.

The roughness of the fabric is also not a good idea for anyone with skin issue.

Now, as you've been wearing jeans a while - and you are relatively new to a lyme protocol - my guess is that jeans have not caused this issue.

Unless you just got new jeans, perhaps. Still, IMO, it would be best to skip the jeans -- although now, if you wear long underwear under them and a fresh pair each day, they may be okay.
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Calm down, you guys. (Steve and TBrown)

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

TBrown,

I know Keebler is trying to help, but I think your plan is a good one. Have a dermatologist do a skin scraping and they can tell by looking under a microscope in their office if it is a candida issue.

If that is your problem then let the LLMD decide whether you should stop your antibiotics or just add a medication for yeast to your protocol.

Flagyl is one of those meds that does destroy your good bacteria.

If you are not taking s. boularrdi as well as other probiotics that would be a good idea to add to your supplements.

Candida is something that even healthy people have in their G.I. tract. It is a matter of balance and longterm antibiotics can unbalance the good bacteria even if you do take quality probiotics.

Bea Seibert

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
The concern is if the hot itchy blotches are an allergic reaction -- and why I suggest stopping all suspect Rx & supplements is that - if it is an allergy, it may not stop there. It could inflame lungs and windpipe . . . and turn into a real emergency.

Stopping for a day or two to see if it subsides is just the first step. From there, of course, experts can help with skin issues. Not everything is lyme of course, but it's best to start with your LLMD --- ask them to suggest a plan of action and if there is a dermatologist they trust.

The fact that you have been doing things that are known to damage to skin (hot shower, vigorous towel use - even wearing jeans for someone with skin diagnoses already) has me wondering just how good that dermatologist is that you've been seeing.

Some of the skin care issues are basic to anyone who sees a dermatologist, it's "Skin 101" and if they did not tell you, they should have given you a pamphlet. So, really, if they messed up there, where else are they going to mess up?

To be clear, I did not intend to say don't investigate further what all is going on with your skin but the sudden hot itchy blotches can be a warning sign of an allergy that could turn very ugly, very fast and be life threatening.

Stopping any suspect Rx, supplement (and they are all suspect) AND food new to you - all that is step one.

That was suggested after hours, last night when you were on your own. It's daytime now, and well past noon your time so I assume you've already talked with your LLMD's office.
-

canbravelyme
Member # 9785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canbravelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keeb -- I just had the same reaction to doxy as you described -- minus the hot, itchy part: red, raised round rashes :/

This doesn't shock me, because you and I have so many similar Lyme symptoms.

As you, I'd taken doxy with no issues before. I've been instructed to stop by my LLMD -- we might try again later -- what would you advise?

Hope you're having a good day [Smile]

Best,

CBL

--------------------
For medical advice related to Lyme disease, please see an ILADS physician.

Posts: 1494 | From Getting there... | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement