LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Safe heart rate?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Safe heart rate?
Summer3
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 35286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Summer3   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So as some of you know from previous posts lately, I have had a lot of problems with my former cardiologist and his prescribed treatments and indisputable errors.

I'm waiting to see an EP next week which will hopefully be more helpful. In the meantime, I am on a new beta blocker that is causing blue, painful feet and lowering my heart rate to 48 (resting). I am not an athlete any longer and my heart rate is usually fast. Even on my other beta blocker it was high 70's. Off meds it used to be about 95 and up to 180 with activity.

I can't go off the beta blocker without a sustained irregular heartbeat becoming a highly likely possibility. The new doctor (who I saw once before) told the nurse that he can't advise me on the phone or change my medication having only seen me once a few months ago but he got me in next week if I'm willing to have him take over all cardiac issues from the other cardiologist. In the meantime I guess I have to stay on the medication because it can't be abruptly stopped.

Any ideas if the low heart rate is okay to go to sleep with? Should I try to get it up? This HR is after quite a bit of caffeine.

Posts: 1129 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up
Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure from a medical standpoint, obviously not a doctor.

My resting HR is in the 40's on a bad day. And in the low 60's when I'm zipping around.

None of the docs I have seen are concerned about these numbers. My ekg's are normal. But these are the ten minute office jobbies and my HR is in the low 60's because I'm nervous and my top is off. So stupid those tests unless they can be done in a "normal" situation for someone.

[confused]

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't advise either. Mine was in the 50's once and my cardiologist did not get excited. I think when it's paired with skipped beats and arrhythmias, it gets really scary!

PS .. Did you know that licorice can raise blood pressure? I wonder what it does for heart rate?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anything useful here?

http://www.wikihow.com/Raise-Low-Blood-Pressure

My own bp goes up every time I read one of those lying journal articles by the IDSA types.

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As one on a beta blocker 10 yrs now, I would say the dose is too high. Maybe that's just me, but they told me to take the lowest dose that would keep my heart rate in the 80's and pressure at or below 120/80. Sure I could take more and get my pressure and heart rate lower, but why would I want to take more of a drug whose side effect is heart stopping pumping?

If it were me, I'd be on the phone having that conversation right away, but since this is a new doc, take what they say until then and discuss what you can take to keep both of you happy at your appt. They're the doctor but YOU HIRE THEM.

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TTLav
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TTLav     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just met with my cardiologist increased my fludrocortisone to 7 pills daily. Pulse average is 110 to 120 with palpitations.

Dr stated women in between ages of 30 to 50 do not do well on beta blockers and to avoid them more complications from them.

Posts: 109 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since your feet are turning blue and your pulse is in the 40's, I agree with Lymeinhell, I would be calling my doc.
Posts: 1687 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Summer3
Member # 35286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Summer3   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did, this was a while ago. He took me off beta blockers and said I could try flecainide which I haven't agreed to yet.

I'm on midodrine still 10mg t.i.d. and still getting bp drops and fainting or near-fainting multiple times per day.

--------------------
http://www.lymepie.blogspot.com

Posts: 1129 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peripheral artery disease?

What is your blood homocysteine level?

Cholesterol high or low?

Some nutrients that may help are listed in the links that follow.

BTW...K2 is NOT the "clotting form" of vitamin K. Some formulations of D3 contain K2 as D3/K2.

https://www.lef.org/protocols/heart_circulatory/coronary_artery_disease_atherosclerosis_02.htm

Ginkgo has ginkotoxins...which for some (genetically vulnerable)persons can trigger a seizure (my son). That is the only potential problem I see in the list of suggestions above.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Summer3
Member # 35286

They didn't check any of that. I'm in my 20's female so they think it's autonomic nervous system damage and nothing structural. I did have an echo......normal.

--------------------
http://www.lymepie.blogspot.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement