LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Been a long time

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Been a long time
lundeliz
Member # 10806

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lundeliz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi. I've been a member on here since 2006, but haven't been around in a while. I had a tick bite in 2004, developed the bullseye rash. I was treated by my doctor for ten days with 100mg doxy. I was fine, but I did get sick for three months in summer of 2005, but never knew what was wrong.

In 2006,I found a doctor to test me through Igenex, and she agreed I had lyme. She started me on Doxy and Cymbalta although I was symptom free at the time.

I deeply regret taking the Cymbalta. I felt well during most of my treatment through 2009. She kept treating me because my CD57 would never budge from about 26.

I stopped treatment in 2009 mostly because I couldn't afford it anymore. The only symptoms I had at the time were from the Cymbalta. Now,I have spent the last four years trying to get off the Cymbalta. It has been a horrible nightmare. I am very sick now after stopping it ten weeks ago.

I wonder constantly if this is all withdrawal, or if the stress of this has triggered a lyme relapse. I'm not feeling any better at all, and I was wondering if there is any test that shows not only that you have lyme, but is there any way to know if the lyme is active at this time?

Does anyone have an llmd who addresses your whole health, not just the lyme? Do they check your thyroid? Just trying to figure out what to do to figure out what is going on. I would like to see someone who would look at the whole picture. It's probably time for me to find a good llmd. I will post in the doctor forum. Thanks!
c

Posts: 72 | From SW Texas | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, agree with you about looking at the whole picture - like doctors should do bloodtesting to see what your various levels are and treat accordingly. For example, my T3 thyroid low was low and I'm taking Armour thyroid and feeling much better.

When you say you are feeling sick now, it might be helpful if you could list some of your symptoms so folks here can comment.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lundeliz
Member # 10806

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lundeliz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Robin. My symptoms are all consistent with Cymbalta withdrawal, but I just worry, because the summer I was sick before lyme treatment, my symptoms were similar. Then and now, I have anxiety, headaches, nausea, exhaustion, brain fog. I'm pretty sure it's just the withdrawal, but not sure how I would even know. Thanks for the response.
Posts: 72 | From SW Texas | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lundeliz, I was on Cymbalta for maybe 5-6 yrs. When I decided to come of it I did a slow withdrawl. I was already down to only 30mg.

I had been up to as high as 90mg. 90mg was way to much, 60mg then leveled me out for awhile then I decided to cut back to 30mg.

My gut just told me I was no longer fighting true depression. I believe my doc had me cut in half and taper down over just 6 weeks, I was off of it.

Sure enough, my body never missed it. Yes, I've seen writings by others that had a very hard time getting off of it. Many also failed to get off, just down to much lower doses.

10 weeks sounds awfully long to me to be feeling these effects from withdrawl, but I'm not one of those folks that has a hard time weaning myself off from any meds. Others do. What dose were you on?

Robin, could be right that something else is going on and it's not withdrawl but Cymbalta made those sx not so severe. Maybe it something as simple as thyroid meds.

I still have anxiety issues. But that's not depression. I just can't handle stress, outside interference stressors can really throw me to the floor. My immune system then collapses with me.

It's hard to avoid stress in your life when other people can cause stress to you. Keep a daily chart and see if you see any patterns to your now and then symptoms.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymedin2010
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 34322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymedin2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you considered this as a possibility?

Cymbalta is given for nerve pain & for some people it is a "game changer" as they have described for the fibromyalgia & the Lyme pain.

Perhaps you had Lyme all along & you even had the symptoms, but Cymbalta did what it was supposed to do, i.e. suppress the pain.

I am sure you are also experiencing withdrawal symptoms, but some of it may be due to Lyme. I just recently had a similar experience with Klonopin. I was taking it for about a year & when I came off it I developed very bad pains & fibromyalgia.

I am months off of Klonopin & so no withdrawals. The pains only got worst & worst with time. Months later.

It was as if Klonopin had also suppressed the bacteria as well. It calms your nerves & it might just as well make borrelia more sluggish and not as actively pathogenic. Sort of living in a suspended state.

Just food for thought based upon my experience.

Posts: 2087 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lundeliz
Member # 10806

Thanks for the replies. I was on 60mg. I had no anxiety or depression or even pain when I was put on the med. It's possible it could have suppressed symptoms I would have had during treatment. I tapered off the med slowly, it took me four years to work my way off of it. It has been a nightmare. I guess if things don't get better in the next few weeks, I will start looking for a llmd to get checked out. I appreciate the responses and the help.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement