LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Herx on Red Zinger tea

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Herx on Red Zinger tea
Lymedin2010
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 34322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymedin2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanted to make a thread to report this. I never really believed in herbs or naturals. I ate a lot of junk in my life & always felt I am fine.

With each passing day I believe more & more and see natural meds as natures time and tested antibiotics. Nature has to combat many different strains of organisms & has gone through millions of years of trial & errors.

So, I am on a combo of ABX. Doxy, Plaquinil, A-babs, amongst others now. I have herxed on Amoxi before & oddly enough only on the first pill. If I stop taking it & try it again in months, then again I herx on only one pill. I just tried this recently, on top of all my ABX, & again I only herx on 1 pill.

Shortly after, maybe 2-3 days, I tried Red Tea Zinger & I did not think much of it. I was shocked that I herxed on it & in similar fashion to how I herxed on the Amoxi. The next tea that day was a slight bump & nothing major & that was it.

So really a herx on only the first tea. So like Amoxi,I think it is getting to something in tissue that the other ABX simply cannot reach. Also take note that I want to herx SO BADLY, but out of so many things that I have tried, very little makes me herx.

Please remember I am not a tea doctor, just reporting my finding [Smile]

This is the tea & I bought mine at the local Shoprite.

http://www.amazon.com/Celestial-Seasonings-Herb-Zinger-20-Count/dp/B000E63L6U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394628117&sr=8-1&keywords=red+zinger+tea

Posts: 2087 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never heard about red zinger and dont know what is in it

I do react to some teas but i know why

If you herx once with a new med it could be two things:

-you dont have a very heavy load of bugs and you kill most of them
-your bugs are really smart about hiding when environment threatens them

Have you read about cyst form and abx resistance

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DanP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7501

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DanP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i started red zinger tea with pinella and cherry bark drops a couple of weeks ago, and am seeing improvement in sleep, back and hip pain and energy...

i also take l-glutathione orally, magnesium caps, and probiotics

the only downside to this new regimen is the absolute need to find a toilet to urinate when i need to - no stalling.....

oh, i almost forgot i'm also on diflucan since last week....

[ 03-12-2014, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: DanP ]

Posts: 277 | From NY | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are some organic options to red zinger for the folks needing organic teas.

Traditional Medicinals: Throat Coat

Yogi Teas: Throat Comfort

And almost organic 97%:

Traditional Medicinals: Herba Tussin

[Smile]

Edited yogi tea name. Lyme brain [Smile]

[ 03-12-2014, 10:17 PM: Message edited by: GretaM ]

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
folks, is the Red Zinger tea this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Celestial-Seasonings-Herb-Zinger-20-Count/dp/B000E63L6U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394659060&sr=8-1&keywords=red+zinger+tea+celestial+seasonings

and where do you get cherry bark drops?

Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
why do you take red zinger ...for respiratory sx?

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymedin2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is the tea! Drinking it because I caught wind that it might kill borrelia & another wind gust of it tasting soooo good, which it damn does. This is my new tea, regardless of what it kills.

I don't feel any different or better from taking all the stuff I take, including Amoxi & the tea. Just wanted to report that I did herx, which was a shocker to me. Others are reporting feeling better drinking this with other naturals. I have never questioned anyone else any further though.

I did develop some lung issues around Nov, shortness of breath & my lungs burn. I think it is the mold around here, since my lungs would burn about 6 years ago when I worked in the basement for a few hours & then go away. Any recommendations for this I will keep my ear open to suggestions.

Ingredients of Red Zinger.
Hibiscus, Rosehips, Peppermint. Lemon Grass, Orange Peel, Natural Flavors, Lemon Myrtle, Licorice and Wild Cherry Bark.

Posts: 2087 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got nervous about celestial seasonings teas after reading an earlier post on this forum about the high levels of pesticides in them.

So, I got an organic bulk tea that is just hibiscus, maybe not as good but without pesticides.

But the truth is that the news reports on this supposed pesticide contamination have left me puzzled. Apparently the report came from a hedge fund that would make money if the stock for this company went down....as it might from pesticide reports such as this. CS says not true, but their own testing report is not public. Maybe they should go organic.

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spinning122
Member # 42223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for spinning122     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymedin2010 haha yes it is a good tasting tea!

Poppy, thanks for the info about the pesticides. It would be awesome if CS went organic. I have a question, your bulk tea is just hibiscus? I always assumed the amygdalin content was from the red cherry bark and other ingredients, not so much the hibiscus? How are you feeling drinking the tea? Any changes/improvements?

Posts: 96 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just started it. Not expecting much, just for the heck of it.
Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to drink it just because I liked it.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The organic ones listed above have cherry bark, but alas, do not taste as zingeriy as red zinger.

Canada only had the darn raspberry zinger no more red. Or roastaroma, another old favorite. Not in Canada anymore.

Hate when companies revamp recipes and the new recipe stinks.

Sorry to hijack this thread with my rant.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

CD- yes that is the tasty one.

I saw Herb Pharm has some tincture.

canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You all should look into boneset tea as well.

Macrophage production is 4 times more than echinacea and I've had a lot of success with it for coinfections.

I get cut & sifted (1lb bag).
I use anywhere from 1 tsp to 1 tbsp.

It's also a smooth muscle relaxant, especially in the gut, and helps me relax at night.

I alternate between it, peppermint, and chamomile. All very good and underrated. But I rotate them like anything else.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is interesting http://www.healthmw.com/20/02/2012/mens-health/tea-side-effects-top-10-bad-effects-of-tea-on-health-49.html
Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 5355

This link says too much tea gives you too much fluoride. Seems to me that fluoridated water gives you too much fluoride.
Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it possible that what you are calling a herx is an low level allergic reaction? what did you feel like?

it would make sense that the 2nd cup would not do anything as you already have the fighters on guard. and building up a bit of immunity.

Amoxi too.

I'm not a tea or abx dr either...but a very allergic person who has figured out some of the subtle nuances of low level allergic reaction. Anaphalctic shock is easy to figure out... these sub level intolerances are a lot harder.

Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

Basically I got that uh oh, unwell feeling, neck & head pressure. A bit of eye shakiness & blurriness & then some joint tenderness that night & the next day.

I got similar experience when I first took Doxy & when I stopped & started taking Doxy again. Always with the head & neck pressure, that is where chronic sickness started for me.

Same thing I got with Amoxi. My experience with Amoxi the first time was not the same experience I get now. On the first time I also got heart palps & like something was coursing my blood & a bit sweaty, besides the symptoms above.

At the end what do we eat or drink?

Can't drink tap water.

Milk has hormones & sugars, which means dairy does too.

Meats have hormones, pesticides, & metals, which means milk & dairy too.

Fruits/Vegetables have pesticides, arsenic , carcinogens, mold, resistant E Coli & other organisms. Animals get fed fruits/veggies.

20 of the most toxic fruits/veggies. Yea one can buy organic, but can you believe all of them?

http://huntforwellness.com/2013/05/20-most-toxic-fruit-and-vegetables/

List of US foods that are banned in other countries:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2345564/Shocking-list-US-foods-BANNED-countries-containing-dangerous-chemicals.html

Nancy L
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancy L     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I checked the web link on that hedge fund and it listed several Celestial Seasonings teas, but not the Red Zinger. The red raspberry is diff product.

The key ingredient in it for lyme is the wild cherry bark, but think a couple of others help.

It is more powerful against lyme with adding either pinella extract drops(says brain-cleanse) from nutramedix (says keep at room temp), or wild cherry bark extract drops by Nature's Answer (says keep cool).

I got both thru pureformulas.com.

Lymedin2010, the head and neck pressure, and a little sore backbone area, were the "hertz" symptoms (not severe) from starting artemisinin, but leveled off after a few days. And a little internal shakiness.

The Red Zinger caused me no effect, nor the pinella or WCB.

If you are looking for an interesting reaction, chew 10 apple seeds.

For me, it made little occasional quick pains like a mosquito bite, a number over a half-hour or so in my brain, and a number in my calves, and only a few anywhere else.

And only the first time, too. I wonder what is is that causes it only the first time?

Posts: 254 | From North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

"If you are looking for an interesting reaction, chew 10 apple seeds"

I have tried eating the whole apple core, less the moldy stuff on the outer skin ends. I did have a herx on it too, but a small one & only the first time as well. Nothing compared to the tea & amoxi though.

I just think there are many things in nature that can kill borrelia, but not all of it makes it's way into each & every organ/cell. There are certain things that work better than others.

I think that is the reason I can be on 10 different ABX & herbs & then still get a herx on Amoxi.

I also notice throughout the almost 3 years of chronic sickness that regardless of what I take, if there is someone sick, I will get sick. This is regardless of what I am taking. So, at least in my case I have become extremely immunosuppressed & pickup anything.

So taking many things may not affect infections external to Lyme & can loop back & cause more Lyme.

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoiph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spoke to an acquaintance of mine yesterday who is a master herbalist/ethnobotanist, regarding Red Zinger Tea, and the concerns raised about purity.

Since he already produces hand-crafted/wild sourced teas, herbs, tinctures, etc., he agreed to look into the possibility of putting together a similar formula with pure ingredients...if there is an interest...

Posts: 1885 | From Earth | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nancy L
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancy L     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sounds good, Phoiph.

Although Red Zinger by Celestial Seasonings was not on the list by that hedge fund, if it is true about some of the others on the list re purity, a pure source sounds good.

Thanks.

Posts: 254 | From North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoiph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the concern was with the unknown ingredient, "natural flavors"...

Ingredients: Hibiscus, rosehips, peppermint, West Indian lemongrass, orange peel, natural flavors, lemon verbena, licorice and wild cherry bark.

Posts: 1885 | From Earth | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement