LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Babesia Test is it Indisputably Positive?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Babesia Test is it Indisputably Positive?
Summer3
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 35286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Summer3   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tested positive through Quest with a result of 1:1024 for duncani.

Negative would have been 1:256 or less. Is this indisputably positive. Could mainstream doctors still argue against it?

I have been sick for years with no improvement from antibiotics or herbs in high/strong combos. If I keep my herbs VERY strong I don't worsen quickly, but I don't improve either. Same with antibiotics.

The only abnormal tests I've ever had are a CD57 of 16, my first Lyme western blot (CDC positive), the second test was less positive with fewer specific bands, and this babesia test.

I have other symptoms (heart and fainting issues and neuro stuff mainly) but I feel like they are related to tick borne disease. I think some of my doctors (even Lyme-knowledgeable ones) are starting to have doubts because I don't improve as expected. It's been almost 3 years and I keep declining. But I don't have anything to lead me toward any other potential diagnosis for these symptoms!

--------------------
http://www.lymepie.blogspot.com

Posts: 1129 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that would be considered a positive by mainstream Drs... but .. they don't want to treat you for it and thus may deny it.

Have you been treated for it?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Summer3
Member # 35286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Summer3   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, not looking to be treated for it by mainstream, I just want to know if it will prove to them that I have an infection and back up my reasoning logically for why I don't want to use immune compromising drugs to treat individual symptoms.

Is it worth mentioning this test to mainstream doctors that I see who are uncertain of what's causing my symptoms (POTS, Tachycardia, Fainting, low lymphocytes, etc.) or should I just keep it quiet and let them think what they want?

I just found out/tested positive a few months ago. In the past I did Mepron but only made it for 7 weeks or less because of elevated liver enzymes. Can't afford it now. So I'm on herbs: CSA, A-BART, Enula and may add Bab-2 by beyond balance soon.

--------------------

Posts: 1129 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beths
Member # 18864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beths     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about malarone? Some Drs think it's better for duncani
Posts: 1276 | From maryland | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow.. you sure need to address it!!

I don't know on what to tell them. Some Drs think that babesia clears on its own. Sure, right.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Summer3
Member # 35286

I don't have a doctor that can prescribe that. It's also financially unattainable for me so I have to stick with herbs and would almost rather at this point since I already did Mepron and lots of other oral abx which didn't help (after years).

I don't think I absorb pills correctly. I think that's my main problem. Shots of B12 and shots of glutathione are the only thing that work and keep me functional.

--------------------

oceangirlSA
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oceangirlSA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, those seem like high titers to me! I just read your blog and am so sorry you are doing so poorly.

There are resources where you can get financial aid for Lyme treatment. Have you looked into any of those. I can send you some links if you like.

Some people just don't metabolize drugs well, and if you have GI issues, then orals may not be absorbed properly. There are genetic tests for drug metabolism, but they are costly.

Please don't give up - I will keep you in my prayers.

Posts: 187 | From Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I got rid of babesia without mepron, but I took clindaymcin/quinine and artemisinin/zith to get rid of it.

I don't think you could take quinine or zith with your heart issues.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why do you think you don't absorb pills properly?
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Summer3
Member # 35286

Because objectively pills that should work or give clear side effects stopped doing so.

Midodrine: Doesn't raise my BP.

Rifampin: Stopped getting orange urine (and I used to get it).

Doxy: no sun sensitivity (and I used to get blistering rashes).

Food: I eat 3000 calories or more per day and don't gain and can barely maintain weight.

Magnesium Citrate: No GI problems even at 3000mg per dose.

Plus the fact that I've had no improvement in 3 years with any oral supplement, herb or antibiotic and the only thing I feel better from is injected.

--------------------

MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing is indisputably positive when you have docs willing to just say "there is no lyme disease where you currently live so obviously you don't have any infection/coinfection".
Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm this is very interesting. Have you discussed this with a doctor?
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NO, I assure you mainstream docs will not take that as a positive confirmation of Babesia. Never have, never will. Only a positive blood smear is considered confirmatory in their eyes. Furthermore, that test alone is probably considered suspect to a degree since there are tons and tons of positives on it, including me. Either the illness is the biggest endemic ever or that test is showing odd results IMO.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Summer3
Member # 35286

Really? From Quest? I thought that was considered a "mainstream" lab. Why do doctors take an ELISA as confirmatory but not an antibody test for Babesia?

They wouldn't know I had ever treated it so how could they dispute that I don't have it if I'm showing antibodies that would prove exposure?

Plus the fact that you can't even donate blood indefinitely if you have a positive test for Babesia.

CD57 I have discussed the absorption issue with several doctors. Lyme-literate ones think I should be on IVIG and IV antibiotics but I can't afford it so I'm left with herbs for now which maintain my symptoms but don't bring any improvement.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement