LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » MRI ? SPECT scan ??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MRI ? SPECT scan ??
LisaK
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so, I have terrible dizziness- yes, I know it can be my bartonella or RMSF, and I also have non stop 24/7 tinnitus.

and also floaters and visual flashes have seemed to come back along with right sided body twitches and spasms.

I am thinking maybe I should get an MRI or Spect SCan. ??

Am I just being overly cautious? is this all from my bart and RMSF? or does lyme and babs give you lasting symptoms?

Are these tests harmful?

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigstan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigstan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have my symptoms except for visual flashes. Both tests aren't harmful. The MRI is a giant magnetic tube you will lie down and slowly guided into the tube halfway. It can be claustrophobic. It is very loud with clanging noises and if you need contrast the scan is repeated twice. About 20 min per scan. You will get ear plugs that help. Tinnitus sucks as its bad for me also.

The SPECT scan looks for blood flow to brain. You will be given am injection of a nuclear isotope. Then lie back as circular cameras slowly click around your head. Taking pictures this is not claustrophobic at all. The nuclear material is safe and works its way out of your system in a few days time. Drink lots of water to help flush.

Bart, RMSF, LD, and Babs all can give you these symptoms.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
HERX is a Four Letter Word!

Posts: 716 | From If you're going through hell, keep going......Winston Churchill | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sooo, I thought you had a new practitioner that was giving you specific herbal/ homeopathic remedies and you thought you were well?

I thought you didn't have insurance, these tests are big bucks...I guess I would ask what they are looking for, and if found, how they plan to treat- and do you need medical insurance for this-

I'm sorry. It can be a long haul, when chronic, unfortunately.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, surprise, I am BETTER, but I never said all done.

I got retested for lyme today and it is all gone! YAY!!! I hope it is for real. I don't trust any tests or drs any more.

I start my bart treatment next week.

I still have to treat for bart, RMSF, Blasto, and some other parasite or something (tired brain now). So I am still quite ill but WAY better than I was when I first joined here.

I don't have insurance, but my "new" pronounced symtoms just have me a bit worried. I am having some anxiety flairs I think and feeling nervous.

I called around my area to ask about self pay prices. The cheapest I found was $500 and they accept payments.

BUT.... the local hospital has me on their charity deal and I only have to pay 90% of the bill if I go to their drs.

They previously ruled that the charity people could not have MRIs paid for with this, but now it has changed, so I was just thinking to maybe do it.

My lyme dr would tell me to wait. I wouldn't tell him unless there was something there. He says he will check for heavy metals after all my treatments if the tinnitus is still there.

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

so my neurologist doesn't think I should get a spect scan.

??

--------------------

MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Either of these test could be harmful, as is the case with many types of treatments. Magnetic radiation. Radioactive substances. Sometimes the harm they do is small and the body can recover and it is no big deal. That is the best case scenario, and probably happens sometimes. It is a matter of weighing risk/harm with potential benefit of whatever knowledge you might gain.
Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can't tell if you're well by a test. You go by symptoms.

Hope you are truly well, but it doesn't sound like it.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

I am treating for bart now. so.... and grasping the reality that healing isn't the same as curing.

I wanted an MRI a month ago, but now I don't really know why I wanted it. Maybe to rule out something, just to make me feel better- peace of mind- that nothing is in there?

as you all know, after years of SO MANY symptoms it is a wonder if they all are from "this" or if there "could be" something else....

--------------------

Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MRI is NOT nuclear...there is no radiation from an MRI...

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement