LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Ginger alternative?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ginger alternative?
Razzle
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 30398

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I desperately need the anti-nausea and anti-vertigo properties of ginger, but I feel terrible when I try anything with ginger in it.

I don't know if it is die-off or a sensitivity to the ginger causing me to feel so lousy...

So, does anyone know of another herb or supplement that does the same thing as ginger but is not ginger?

Thanks,

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Bergy
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try peppermint.

Dan

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was going to say peppermint too.

I hope it can bring you some relief.

Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have...both peppermint and patchouli...it's not enough to control my insane nausea...so I live 24/7 on Zofran in addition to the peppermint and patchouli...

I don't think peppermint or patchouli work on the 5HT3 like Zofran does...

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also take charcoal for nausea. It works well for me, but you can't take any other meds around it
Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting, didn't know charcoal could help nausea...thanks.

Still looking for a 5-HT3 inhibitor like Zofran & Ginger...

Thanks,

--------------------
-Razzle

marypart
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marypart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found this which mentions red ginseng.

http://www.mindandmuscle.net/forum/27842-5-ht3-antagonists-their-possible-role-several-conditions

Also on Wikipedia they mentioned Indazole, and then when I looked at Indazole it mentions black cumin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indazoles

--------------------
Son, 26, Dx Lyme 4/10, Babs 8/10
Had serious arthritis, all gone.
Currently on Valtrex
Daughter, 26,bullseye 7/11
arthritis in knees, cured and off all meds. .
Self:Lyme, bart, sxs gone, no longer treating.

Posts: 496 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marypart
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marypart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a really recent study... I don't know if these are compounds that can be bought or are OTC

http://www.pubfacts.com/detail/24708203/Natural-compounds-boldine-and-menthol-are-antagonists-of-human-5-HT3-receptors:-implications-for-tre

--------------------
Currently on Valtrex

Posts: 496 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marypart
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27012

Boldine is in this herb, which is says prevent some type of gastric injury in rats.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindera_aggregata#Use

--------------------
Currently on Valtrex

TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you know why you have nausea? You may be able to get rid of it depending on why you have it. Maybe you are taking something that is causing it or perhaps you have gastroporesis or reflux or maybe you need digestive enzymes or there could be a lot of other reasons??

Papaya enzymes can be helpful for upset stomach. 2 products that my naturopathic doctor recommended that don't have ginger in them and that you should be able to buy on-line are
stomach ease by Oregon wild harvest
tummy glycerite by Wise woman herbals

I don't know about vertigo remedies but sounds like you need something for your ears. Your doctor will hopefully have some recommendations.

Hope you find relief!
Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Marypart,

Thanks for all the info. Will look at these links and study them closely...much appreciated.

Terry,

Yes, my gastroparesis has been flared up since last April (so 1 year), and the nausea from the gastroparesis is so severe I am completely incapacitated by it.

Additionally, I am not able to eat, drink, or swallow the tiniest bit of anything without vomiting, and this is even while taking the Zofran and using the peppermint & patchouli essential oils topically.

As for the cause of my gastroparesis, that's not certain...though it is likely related to, or at least made worse by, Lyme and coinfections.

The vertigo started in September of 2013 after one small dose of IV Doxycycline, and has not stopped since (it is constant, 24/7, but some movements & visual stimuli make it worse). Brain & vestibular MRI is normal, medication for vertigo makes it worse, and there is no diagnosis or known cause at this time...

I am pretty sure the vertigo also has something to do with Lyme/coinfections, just not sure how to treat it...I was on IV Azithromycin prior to trying the Doxy last summer and that caused severe heart rhythm issues and I had to stop the abx. Tests of my heart are normal, so no damage done, thankfully.

Currently, my only treatments for the infections are IV Flagyl (daily) and the use of a RIFE machine for Lyme (once every 7-14 days)...

I am not being treated for Bartonella, mostly because I can't handle the Cipro (causes severe tendon pain in my wrists) and my doctor won't give me Rifampin because it is too hard on my already overloaded liver (side-effect of being 100% fed through a PICC line via IV...Total Parenteral Nutrition).

I'm allergic to sulfa (Bactrim, etc.), vancomycin, and erythromycin, and did not do well on Amoxacillin when given that for a dental infection (probably a major herx, but the main thing it caused when I took it orally was severe nausea...I don't need more nausea right now...).

We don't know what other coinfections I might have, since tests for all coinfections have come up negative. I know I have Bart., every LLMD & LLND I've seen has said my symptoms do point to Lyme & Bart., but we don't know what other coinfections may or may not be present.

Prior to the current Gastroparesis flare (started in April of 2013), I was on oral Flagyl and Andrographis, and I also took Thyme (for candida prevention), Oregano (for candida prevention), Nettles (for allergies & joint pain), and Parsley (for detox & electrolyte balance).

So I've been trying to figure out an alternative for the Zofran, because it is not known what the long-term effects are of taking it daily for months like I have been... But other antinausea meds don't work, have side effects I can't handle, or cause me to react to the sulfites in them (I get anaphylactoid reactions to sulfites).

I've just begun to see a practitioner (very Lyme-Literate, he has Lyme himself) who makes customized sublingual homeopathic drops for all sorts of things (infections, toxins, allergens, etc.), and am hoping that something he does will help the vertigo...so far, it hasn't helped, but sometimes it can take months to work, and I've only seen him twice so far...

Edited to add - yes, before the gastroparesis flare I also was taking digestive enzymes with every meal...couldn't eat anything without them.

Thanks for your inputs...will look into those products you mentioned. Thanks,

--------------------
-Razzle

TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My brother has gastroporesis and was constantly vomiting. I finally brow beat his doctor into giving him a drug called Metoclopramide

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metoclopramide

That drug has helped him sooo much. Of course it has side effects but so far my brother has not had any from it and he has been on it for several months.

Years ago I ran into some information that choline might be helpful for gastroporesis. I know that borrelia disrupts choline so there may be some sort of treatment that involves choline that might be useful. Sorry I can't give you more info but this site might help.

http://www.digestivedistress.com/novel-rx

Lyme and choline
http://www.townsendletter.com/FebMar2006/lyme0206.htm
Action of Toxin
"The action of botulinum (as well as the toxin from the Lyme spirochete) is to prevent, through its action as a proteolytic enzyme, the release of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine. Nerve endings may be associated with other nerves or muscles (the neuromuscular junction). To understand this mechanism in greater detail, consider the basic principles of nerve physiology described below."

Perhaps look into electrical stimulation??
http://ncp.sagepub.com/content/21/1/23.abstract

I am not a doctor and am not advocating these treatments but just throwing them out there for your consideration.

Having seen the symptoms in my sister, father and now my I know how awful they can be. My heart goes out to you and I hope you can find something that helps.

As far as vertigo. I've had it a few times and was luckily able to solve it with muscle testing. I cannot imagine living with it every day. I'm so sorry. I wish I had something useful to say about it but I'm sure you've already heard all the usual treatments.

Take care and feel better soon,
Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe DGL (Deglycyrrhizinated licorice, so it doesn't raise blood pressure)? It may help soothe things a bit. It helped when I had nausea, though not as well as ginger.
Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Terry,

Thanks. I've tried but can't do Metoclopramide...it causes me to have akathisia, which is a known side-effect that could become permanent.

I was on Domperidone before the "crash" last year, but I think I'd been on it too long and it had lost effectiveness.

Choline...will look into that - interesting, didn't know about how that works...thanks.

Electrical stimulators for gastroparesis are not as effective for "idiopathic" gastroparesis like mine (it works best for Diabetic gastroparesis). I will discuss this with my doctor, though, because he has an electrostim machine he can put on my stomach and we can try it topically to see if it helps any...

Thanks.

Judie,

Thanks...Unfortunately, I'm allergic to licorice, as well as slippery elm (both cause a tickle cough and Asthma symptoms).

--------------------
-Razzle

Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gosh, that's interesting. I started getting a tickle in my throat after taking DGL for over a year. I just assumed my throat was dry, I hadn't considered allergy.

Another thought I had was cramp bark. It's usually for PMS, but I remember living off of it when I had to do prev-pack and that caused bad nausea. High doses can cause nausea, but maybe try low and slow.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Razzle... I sure hope you can find something to help you. [group hug]

Terry... have your brother be very vigilant about noticing the dyskenesia from the Reglan. It can become permanent. It took a year for that side effect to show up for me.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Thanks Lymetoo!

--------------------
-Razzle

TerryK
Member # 8552

So sorry razzle. I have found that parasite treatment and gut healing got rid of a lot of my allergies. Unfortunately the parasite treatment seems to be needed indefinitely because when I stop for more than 6 months the allergies come back.

Lymetoo - thanks. I appreciate the warning. I figured we were out of the woods for that symptom. Didn't know it could show up after a year. Lyme alone can cause that symptom. [Frown]

[ 04-30-2014, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: TerryK ]

Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Parasite treatment got rid of my vertigo and allergies.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement