LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Question regarding negative results? Please help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question regarding negative results? Please help
Kaseyyy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kaseyyy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't call to ask for a copy of my results, but it's negative. I know the whole CDC and igenex ordeal with number of bands present, but is it possible at all to still have it with no bands reactive? would a general physician still treat you even if it is negative based on symptoms or no?
Posts: 315 | From Allentown | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
General physician-not likely unless you have a documented EM, pic of an EM or a tick attached for a long time.

Best bet is to see an LL. Lyme is a clinical diagnosis-too bad most gp's don't realize this.

Also you won't be assessed for coinfections at a GP, or given adequate antibiotic therapy.

If you're lucky you'll get just enough abx to turn the spirochetes into cyst form. That's it. And that's terrible when that happens. (lucky was sarcastic)

Seeking is a good place to post for a LL in your area.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need to have at least ONE band show up. The lab is very important. If you had a test thru Quest or Lab Corp it is less likely to find the Lyme disease.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaseyyy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kaseyyy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So if no bands show up, it is definitely not lyme? Regardless of strains, etc?
Posts: 315 | From Allentown | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could still be Lyme. The test only tests for a specific strain of Lyme.

There's also borellia miyamotoi and there's no widely available test for that in humans yet.

There's also this bill that passed in Virginia:

http://lymedisease.org/news/lyme_disease_views/virginia-gov-signs-lyme-bill.html

"Under the new legislation, patients being tested for Lyme disease must be officially informed that a negative test result does not mean they don’t have Lyme disease."

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But most tests show at least one band if Lyme is present.

27 Reasons Your Lyme Test Could Come Back Negative
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/3/33085?#000001

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Another possibility:

Symptoms of Candida:
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/104816?#000000

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But Lyme can shut down the production of antibodies, so it is possible to have Lyme and not have any bands positive.

I know of someone who had no bands positive until they had gone through a lot of treatment.

Also, if this test was done through a lab that does not test or report all the bands, then it is possible one or more of the untested/unreported bands is positive, but that would not show up in the results.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

True... I'm just being cautious in my responses. I don't want this person barking up the wrong tree.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering a long term chronic case could show no bands. After a few months of treatment bands will start to become positive. That's what happened w/ me.

2004 CDC +++ positive on all igg/igm bands. Stopped treatment too soon, became chronic and tested negative till 2008 when a llmd re-treated me for one month and then bands started lighting up again.

Not uncommon for co-infections to test negative or to have an uncommon co-'infection that your Dr. may not have tested for - such as q-fever.

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Here is kasey's original post ...

-

"Can anyone give me any suggestions for a lyme doctor in the allentown/palmerton area? I want to call the doctor for a copy of the test results but I am apparently negative.

I've been having stomach problems for months, stiff/sore neck and shoulders and jaw, general fatigue. My vitamin d came back low but a month or more ago, i started feeling lightheaded basically constantly and it seems to increase in severity in periods of times..

Just recently I feel more anxious all the time, tighter chest?, hear heartbeat a lot, hearing seems to be off and sometimes things seem loudish, feel out of it and in a dream a lot which upsets me..

Recently the lightheadedness hit even worse, my joints seem to be sore, it felt weird to walk like my body went super heavy and weak including my head so i went to the er. Felt really off balance, lasted almost a week.

had pink eye like two months ago, and i remember having a sore throat lasted 3 weeks. When i stand from sitting my feet feel heavy, tingly. The lightheadedness and spaced out feeling scares me the most..and i am always SO tired. I really hope this is not "fibro" or "anxiety". Any suggestions?"

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

susank
Member # 22150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will throw in to say have your immunoglobulins tested.

Total Quantitative Serum for Immunoglobulins:
G - and subclasses
A - and subclasses
M

If one has an immune deficiency then one does not make enough antibodies to show up on some antibody tests.

Research:
Hypogammaglobulinemia and
Common Variable Immune Dysfunction

One can have Lyme and be HypoG/CVID
One can have Lyme and no HypoG/CVID
One can not have Lyme and be HypoG/CVID

Tired..hope this makes sense.

Treatment for HypoG/CVID is IVIG.
Many feel exhausted when not on IVIG and feel better when on it.

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
IGM 18,28,41,66 IND: 23-25,34,39
IGG 41,58 IND: 39
Bart H IGG 40

Posts: 1613 | From Texas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kasey, you really, really need a copy of that test result.

If it shows bands at all, there are most likely some positive. Some are surprised that the test even shows "positive" even though the doctor SAYS it is "negative."

One person had that happen, found it out years later, and wanted to know if they could sue the doctor.

This kind of thing happens with lyme. So, you have to get a copy of that test result and keep it in your files.

You also want to see the name of the test. Was it Western Blot, EIA, ELISA, etc.

So, go get the test results.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Ditto... and do know that is it your RIGHT to receive a copy of the test.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
From a year ago (for those just looking at this) . . . still . . . .

Posted a few months later from original post way above.

In trying to answer a question today

in one of Kaseyyy's thread, when I stumbled on this thread (above) it confused me. In case others might be confused, too, in trying to trace posts so as to better answer current questions, detail below changes all above.

So, timeline: a few months later, it becomes very clear with better tests, better lab.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/129944?#000000

9 September, 2014

igM: positive
**23-25 IND
**31 IND
**39 +
**41 +
83-93 +

igG: IND
**31 +
**39 IND
**41 ++
58 +
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement