LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What are the major Bartonella drugs/herbs?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What are the major Bartonella drugs/herbs?
VV
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which treatments hit Bart?
Posts: 922 | From Philadelphia | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VV
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So far I found Rifampin, Cipro, and Levaquin.
Macrolides are used sometimes?

Reading about Rifampin, I do not think I will be able to take it as it reacts with too many other meds I take.

Cipro and Levaquin sound dangerous.

Not sure where that leaves me for possible Bart treatment.

Posts: 922 | From Philadelphia | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're right. You have to be very careful with Levaquin and Cipro.
Rifampin was more than I could tolerate.

I am taking Bactrim DS and roxythromycin (another macrolide) twice a day. It works pretty well. The last time I had bart I used Bactrim DS and zithro and it took 9 months to get over it.

ABart, Japanese knotweed, HH2 (you have to take 6-10 a day) and clove bud oil are supposed to help. I used massive amounts and it didn't do much.

Since bart makes biofilm you need to hit that. I was taking LipoPhos EDTA. It binds with heavy metals and also the magnesium and iron in the biofilm.

You should probably restrict fats too so Protomyxzoa doesn't get out of control. You can buy Proactol, a fat binder to keep your absorption of fat low. You can supplement good fats if you want but the liposomes are good fats - better way to go.

If you are really ambitious, you could make the tinctures into a liposome so it is more powerful and is also taken inside the biofilm where it can hit the pathogens.

I keep telling myself I am going to do this but too lazy right now. It also does not taste very good.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VV
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38828

How safe are Bactrim and roxythromycin?

I'm a little scared to try macrolides as I had my worst experience with a drug ever from Biaxin.

I don't put any stock in homeopathy, personally so that's my path.

I've taken Japanese Knotweed for 6 months and can't say that I've found any particular benefit in it.

GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm quoting from Buhner's Bartonella Coinfection Book. Not my own personal advice or dosages.

most effective antibiotic: telithromycin

Then: Trimethoprim, clarithromycin,erythromycin, rifampin, gatifloxacin, gemifloxacin, moxifloxacin.

Combo or two or more of these antibiotics was found to be most effective.

He says, "Bartonella bacteria are not very susceptible to vancomycin or ciprofloxacin.

Antibiotics are only effective in 58-87% of patients treated.

Antibiotics for bartonella 8 months to two years Even then, some did relapse.

Note: Gentamycin only kills extracellular bacteria NOT intracellular bacteria. Always needs to be paired with two intracellular abx.

Now for the herbal:

One must: 1)Disrupt the cytokines 2)protect the organs 3)enhance the immune system

Basic Protocol from Buhner's Bartonella Book: NOTE: ALL of the following must be taken together to beat bartonella.

-Japanese Knotweed (polygonum): Tincture, 1/4-1/2 tsp 3X day

-EGCG with quercetin: 800mg EGCG plus 1,200mg quercetin daily

-L-arginine: 500-1,000mg 3X daily.

-Cordyceps: Tincture, 1/4 tsp 3X daily; or powder, 1 TBSP 3X daily; or capsules, 2,000mg 3X daily.

-Sida Acuta: 30-60 drops 3-4X daily

-Red Root: Tincture, 1/4-1/2 tsp 3X daily

-Milk Thistle: Standardized extract, capsules, 1,200 mg daily

-Hawthorn: Tincture, 1/4-1/2 tsp 3X daily

-Rhodiola/ashwaganda combination, equal parts of each, Tincture, 1/2 tsp 3X day

-Isatis/hottuynia/alchornea combination, equal parts of each; Tincture, 1/2 tsp 3X daily.

-Pomagranate juice to drink along with the tinctures

-Vitamin E(alpha-tocopherol): 200 IU daily

With Severe brain/CNS involvement, ADD in the following to the list above:
(That's you and me, VV)

1) Chinese Skullcap tincture: 1/4 tsp 3X day
AND
2) Greater Celandine tincture, 1/4 tsp 3X day
AND
3) Kudzu Root tincture, 1/4 tsp 3-4X daily.

Also

NAC, 2,000mg 2X daily
Motherwort tincture, 1/4-1/2 tsp up to 6X daily.

There are also other additions for hypofusion of the brain, neural pain, anxiety/hysteria, extreme fear, sleep disturbance, severe fatigue, unproductive cough, anemia, muscle wasting/weight loss.

It's too much for me to type those from Buhner's book.

It is a really great book, well worth the cost. I learned so much about bartonella and mycoplasma from it. It blows the first book about lyme right out of the water. It explains what bartonella actually does to various cells and organs in our bodies. It is not a light read, but worth it [Smile]

Anyone with these coinfections should invest in the book, in my opinion.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gigimac
Member # 33353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gigimac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greta, thanks for sharing Buhner's info about bart. i feel i am running out of abx options for bart!
Posts: 1534 | From Greensboro NC | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rifabutin, Avelox too.

The avelox is a floxin so of course extra mag is called for. Avelox is good in the summer b/c it doesn't cause sun sensitivity like the other floxins.

Rifabutin is supposedly easier than rifampin but both are killer on stomachs.

Bactrim too is used, but for some (particularly with double copy of MTHFR 677 T), it's a no no.

I always tolerated Bactrim well til recently when I had an explosion of itchiness all over my body.

It's a great med, and I'm sorry I can no longer tolerate it.

I think the listing of the supps is worth exploring.

We are all different, so what works for one, might not work for another.

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VV
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38828

Thanks Greta!

I'll look at all of these.

So far it looks like all the rx except Bactrim have major interactions with other medications I already take.

nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am surprised Buhner thinks Ketek knocks bart out. It is really good for Bb - got rid of mine - but then the bart came out and took over, so it was not effective against whatever strain I had.

I am taking Bactrim with homozygous CBS. That is probably why I can't sleep without Lunesta.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VV
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38828

Does Bactrim hit Lyme too?
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, but it hits babesiosis. So, you hit babs and bart when you take it.
Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VV
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38828

Maybe that's the one I need to try.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement