LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » I only feel like myself when...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I only feel like myself when...
Jamers
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 28016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I only feel like myself when I am on a strict anti-candida diet. If I cheat, I start to feel mentally unstable, like OCD, depression and depersonalization. Does anyone have this too? I considered these symptoms related to the infections but perhaps its a toxin reaction? I felt emotionally unstable throughout treatment. I suppose it could be candida toxin related or just toxin related. Any similar experiences or thoughts?

--------------------
Diagnosed Pos. Lyme Nov. 17, 2010, Igx.
Pos. Babesia Duncani March 2011, Igx.
Clinical diagnosis for Bartonella

Posts: 1127 | From North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Quite likely.

I wonder if you've ever used Olive Leaf Extract (OLE)? Seagate is the ONLY brand that I think any good for capsules (there are some good tinctures but the alcohol or glycerin can pose problems with candida). Other brands were worthless to me.

SEAGATE was an actual cure for candida in my case (along with diet with no refined foods. I did eat berries, though, after a meal -- after the OLE had helped and I was stable berries then worked just fine).

OLE made candida overgrowth history for me. Various times, some times when on antibiotics, sometimes off (though don't take at the same time).

Are you currently taking antibiotics?

It could also food specific for the foods you try when you go off the strict anti-candida diet. Those particular foods could be an allergen for you.

And, if processed food, or even with any "natural flavors" (code word for MSG) or other stuff that can trigger symptoms.

A couple dark berries (low glycemic - and blueberries even contain chromium so that helps keep blood sugar down) after a good meal might be the most common food that someone transitioning would try.

Anything beyond that could be too much, too soon, especially if not after a good full meal so it's not all alone. Any flours, even if gluten free can be just too much "refinement" so to speak.

And that brings up another possibility. If, with the strict diet, you've been gluten free and expand with a food that contains gluten, the reaction could be gluten-related. Gluten can most certainly cause the symptoms you describe.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Whatever foods you "test" out that are causing you trouble might be of one of these categories - be sure to read the labels and be aware of "code words" --

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=029690;p=0

Excitotoxins; MSG; Aspartame; & "Natural" Flavors (that are not likely natural at all);

GMO foods that destroy the GI Tract; Gluten; Dairy.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
If you are comfortable sharing what food(s) [& links if a mixture of ingredients] do this for you it may bring some replies from others who may have reactions to those foods for some reason. If you are not comfortable with that, totally understandable.

I'm thinking back to when I transitioned from a strict anti-candida diet to a fuller diet. I made a few errors in judgment and was then then was not as aware of food additives in "code" or the way some things were processed but not apparent (banana chips - not just bananas at all - just one example].

I was gluten-free, still, strictly but that also was too "soft" at times with refined flours in pastas, even if GF, caused great trouble.

RICE seems a common thing to add back in but, even brown rice makes me feel very odd. It's just too "white" and I can feel my blood sugar rise & then drop me like out of a helicopter. I do fine with Black or Red Rices, though, in small amounts -- but only with protein and fats. Alone, that can drop me later.

So, it could be that blood sugar highs and drops could account for some of what you are experiencing, too.

Also be aware that some rices are treated with chemicals, even when they say they are not.

I won't list the other few more common foods that many jump to when transitioned to a more inclusive diet . . . as it's just hard to guess what is the trigger for you. It may not be exactly what it seems, though.
-

[ 07-28-2014, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/115457?#000000

OLIVE LEAF EXTRACT - Seagate website and lots of informational links
-

Jamers
Member # 28016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Keebler for that excellent information. I have some diflucan and since I've been on the diet again for the past 3 days, i've had terrible insomnia.

I have been off antibiotics for over a year now and hold steady except for resistant candida I believe. I never am able to stay on the diet long enough and that is my fault. I do eat raspberries, blueberries and strawberries while on the diet. Other than that, the only grain I eat is quinoa and corn tortillas which don't seem to bother me.

I know this is a no-no but since I've been off antibiotics if I even slip up with a glass of alcohol I'm done for!! I wake up the next morning incredibly depressed. Also, consistently eating sugar or gluten over a couple of days makes it really bad. I can usually get away with a day of it but if I keep going then my candida flares.

Since you recommend OLE, I may have to try it. I took grapefruit seed extract but it gave me a belly ache and reflux for a few days. Very potent stuff. I get this anyway so I'm assuming it was working.

--------------------
Diagnosed Pos. Lyme Nov. 17, 2010, Igx.
Pos. Babesia Duncani March 2011, Igx.
Clinical diagnosis for Bartonella

Posts: 1127 | From North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Yeah, most of us "go there" first. The learning curve back can spin us all around for a while. And the hidden MSG in many foods light up the addiction region of our brain to want more and more.

If you want we can all help you brainstorm about the gluten and sugar . . . what other things, or HOW to help your cravings in a good way.

My guess is that the gluten is the top reason and processed sugar a co-conspirator. Whatever the particular foods you enjoy in those categories are, I'll bet there's another way to satisfy you, with healthful alternatives for a successful transition.

I would not assume that it's about (or all about candida - but if you have white mouth or other signs, do pay attention to that).

Gluten and sugar can clobber anyone, really. I've learned my lessons with gluten and will never touch it again, no matter how small a trace. But I do have genetic celiac. Still,
IMO, gluten can cause all kind of troubles, especially for the brain and neurological tissue. Once I really got clear of gluten, depression lifted wonderfully.

It may be too soon to even think about a little wine, the liver can take a long time to repair from all we go through - although the sulfites can also at issue there.
-

Samlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Samlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should try taking Glutamine supplements to curb the sugar and alcohol cravings.

I tried it and it worked like magic. I almost felt like it had to be a placebo effect happening because as soon as I'd pop one pill my sugar cravings would disappear in like 15 minutes.

I only needed to do this for a month or so because after a bit they just went away completely.

Maybe the cravings come from the addictive aspect of sugar and your body is going to crave it when it doesn't have it any more or you're particularly run down and want a quick boost.

This article pretty much says all that.

I know no one wants to be popping yet another supplement but it's worth a try given how obnoxious the pay back is when you cave and over indulge in the bad stuff. And the good thing about it is at least it's a supplement you don't need to take every day.

http://www.foodrenegade.com/how-beat-sugar-cravings-glutamine/

This is just some other site that mentions the glutamine sugar connection. Glutamine is also currently appearing in research publications for it's ability to heal stomach ulcers and such. I think maybe I should pick some up again and see if it helps with my stupid leaky gut/million food intolerances.

http://www.lifesciencepharmacy.com/amino-acid-glutamine.aspx

Posts: 154 | From Boston | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto on the OLE. It's good for a lot of things.

Also, a great anti-bacterial and anti-viral.

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
With glutamine, though, if there is any anxiety at all, I would avoid it. It can really trigger that . . . although magnesium can help balance that.

Anyone with a neurological condition needs to be very careful with the excitatory aspect so if you try it, start with just a tiny, tiny amount. That may be enough. Magnesium can also help calm sugar cravings.

Glutamate / Glutamic Acid can be very destructive to the nerve fibers & function for those with lyme and neurological issues -- & cause irritation, heart rhythm irregularities, anxiety, even seizures, etc.

I found this out the hard way, several times over until I just happened upon some of this information.

It's in food, naturally, but in supplements, it can be "killer" for use unless just in a very tiny amount and balanced with magnesium.

Some doctors suggest even avoiding foods that are high in glutamate / glutamic acid for those with neurological conditions. Details here:

Check all supplements and assess diet (and anything that comes into our bodies for:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/113775?#000000

Topic: Amino Acid Information Link

See post: Caution: Aspartate; Glutamine; and Phenylalanine (3 excitatory amino acids that can be wrong for us when added as supplements, beyond a normal dietary level)

Seaweed has its own natural MSG and can be very excitatory
-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement