LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » biofilm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: biofilm
hermit
Member # 44427

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hermit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not finding many posts about biofilm, selenium, low Vitamin D, and over the counter supplementation to stop biofilm colonies and inhibit the blocking of vitamin D receptors/production.

--------------------

Posts: 74 | From Bowie, Maryland | Registered: Aug 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Hermit,

I don't live far from you. 30 to 40 minutes. Maybe I'll see you at one of the support group meetings. If you go to one I'll try to make it. PM if you're interested. [Smile]

There are great number of herbals I think are effective for removing biofilm.

> Start off with proteolytic enzymes
> poke root
> noni
> cat's claw
> harataki also known as terminalia chebula found in triphala -- planetary herbs sells a good one
> you need selenium suggest eating 3 brazil nuts everyday
> iodine
> vitamin k2 found in eggs and butter (mk4 variation) and natto and sauerkraut (mk7 variation)
> LED or sunlight
> turmeric
> apple cider vinegar

I believe harataki found in triphala is the best biofilm buster. 2nd is poke root from a tincture only. K2 in butter and eggs is 3rd and proteolytic enzymes finish it off

You also need sunlight combined with an LED device with 880nm bulbs. Combined with a good living water and air purifiers pushing out ionic particles

Also have to consider how much to do. I always push it though.

By the way I posted how I beat lyme by doing some of the things listed.

Happy crushing lyme biofilm [Big Grin]

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hermit
Member # 44427

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hermit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not know the local medicine man, wish I did truly. How do you find a tincture of poke root? What product of proteolytic enzymes can I buy in a vitamin store?

If harataki is a mushroom or fungus, I need to skip that. Otherwise, where do I find it or Nani or most of these others?

Have you tried using coconut oil as your grease or butter in food prep?

--------------------

Posts: 74 | From Bowie, Maryland | Registered: Aug 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hermit
Member # 44427

BTW, I'm Indian in part so don't take my comment wrong.

Your post, Bob, seems to be about the only one on these boards related to biofilm.

I've been reading research related to selenium interfering with biofilm production and also the vitamin D interruption pathway of these bacteria, based in part from same biofilm in periodontal disease and a selenium or gold treatment from the past.

--------------------

lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
harataki is a fruit. Seeing as your not too far I can give you some poke root tincture if you like. And a view others. Send me a private message. It's the icon next at the top header of the message where two people are shaking with letter behind them. We can figure out how to get it to you.

As far as biofilm there are some lymies who have gotten better by targeting biofilm. sixgoofykids, Brussels, and I have gotten well. We got well because we took responsibility for our illness, and doctors were just coaches when we needed them. Most people in the lyme community expect their doctors to get them well. Doctors are very important, but they are not gods. We live within ourselves 7 by 24, we may only see a doctor once every 3 months or more. By taking responsibility for my illness I worked on it daily trying to out think it.

Dr Alan Macdonald has determined through pathology that biofilm is a strong factor in who gets well and who doesn't. The question is how do you get rid of biofilm. Not all biofilm is bad, just like not all bacteria is bad, in matter fact we may need both to live. Natural ABX and natural biofilm disruptors might be the to go.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hermit .. You can do a search for the archives and see what you find about biofilms.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/ubb/search/search_forum/1

Here's one I found:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/129159#000000

and another:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/129557#000000

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Look at the videos part 1 to 3 by Dr. Alan Macdonald who talks extensively about biofilm.

The videos are under lymie_in_md the following is a link to the topic.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=128786;p=0#000010

--------------------
Bob

hermit
Member # 44427

Lymetoo- Is a search of archives different from the search two options right of my profile link?

Thank you for all the direct links.

--------------------

TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hermit, to answer your question above: no, it is the same search function.
Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimmie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimmie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
www.thewolfeclinic.com/.../260-enzymes-in-the-fight-against-cancer

The dosages of enzymes used in cancer treatment are much higher than we typically use for lyme. With cancer the enzymes eat the protective coating over cancer cells allowing the immune system to recognize it and kill it. Is this the same principal with lyme treatment for biofilms? I wonder if the dosages we use for lyme shouldn't be higher? Thoughts?

And not all enzymes are of good quality. Seems like vitalzym and wobenzym are highly recommended for the cancer therapy.

Posts: 747 | From Utah | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimmie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimmie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In case my link didn't work:

Trypsin and Chymotrypsin
Dr. Heinrich Wrba, a leading European oncolologist, has quietly and permanently changed the way cancer is treated throughout Europe. He has educated a generation of European oncologists on the value of systemic oral enzymes in the treatment of cancer. "Using 20 to 30 tablets twice daily of Wobenzym® N, we see improvement," Dr. Wrba says. "I have seen about one-third of cases of pancreatic cancer that were completely cured with about two-thirds not responding well, which for this cancer is an excellent outcome. Based on experience, the outcome for most patients is improved with systemic oral enzyme therapy. Enzymes rank as my favorite adjuvant medicine for every type of cancer. It is very essential to take them in very high doses. We can force a beneficial effect at 30 pills three times daily."

As mentioned earlier, chymotrypsin (and trypsin) and serrapeptase are specific proteolytic enzymes that are especially effective with cancer. Chymotrypsin has ingredients that reduce swelling (inflammation) and tissue destruction and is part of the enzyme blend in Wobenzym® N.

Serrapeptase
Naturopathic physician Dr. Michael Murray recommends systemic enzyme use in his work "How to Prevent and Treat Cancer With Natural Medicine". To quote from Dr. Murray: "Serratia peptidase exerts more powerful effects than chymotrypsin and trypsin in all of these applications". Serratia peptidase is the same as serrapeptase.

Serrapeptase is a proteolytic enzyme that digests non-living tissue, blood clots, cysts, tumors, and arterial plaque and inflammation in all forms. It is a naturally occurring, physiological agent with no inhibitory effects on prostaglandins and is devoid of gastrointestinal side effects. It is a viable alternative to salicylates, ibuprofen and the more potent NSAIDs.

The late German physician, Dr. Hans Nieper, used serrapeptase to treat arterial blockage in his coronary patients. Serrapeptase protects against stroke and is reportedly more effective and quicker than EDTA Chelation treatments in removing arterial plaque. He also reports that serrapeptase dissolves blood clots and causes varicose veins to shrink or diminish. Dr. Nieper told of a woman scheduled for hand amputation and a man scheduled for bypass surgery who both recovered quickly without surgery after treatment with serrapeptase.

Vitalzym
Dr. James Howenstine, M.D. promotes the systemic enzyme blend Vitalzym as being the best enzyme supplement containing serrapeptase. He says, "This potent enzyme product can dissolve the fibrin coating protecting cancer cells from destruction."

Vitalzym contains potent proteolytic enzymes designed to support health and promote healing and repair. It is an extremely effective systemic enzyme blend with a high serrapeptase content.

Vitalzym works to break down fibrin in the body. Fibrin is a hard, sticky protein that has been associated with scar tissue, inflammation and pain, among other symptoms and conditions. Additionally, Vitalzym can help reduce viral load and regulate the immune system, reduce toxins and impurities in the blood, promote cellular detoxification, reduce internal inflammation, and promote overall better health.

Vitalzym works synergistically to provide total system support. It contains protease, serrapeptase, papain, bromelain, amylase, lipase, rutin and amla. According to Dr. Peter Streichhan, a world-renowned enzyme researcher from Germany, "enzyme mixtures have a wider range of therapeutic advantages than do individual enzymes."

The key to the effectiveness of any systemic enzyme is the amount absorbed into the bloodstream. Vitalzym continues to be at the forefront of enzyme supplementation.

Posts: 747 | From Utah | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimmie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25547

Must be taken on an empty stomach to avoid digestion of food in order to be absorbed systemically and dosages need to be adequate to be effective.
hermit
Member # 44427

What dosages are recommended of Vitalzym? Completely empty stomach, like not even a fat or electrolyte water will aid in absorption?
Empty would be 1 hour before or after eating?

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, hermit.. the same. Most newbies don't know where the search function is. I was just helping you out.

"Empty" would be one hour before or 2 hours after eating.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimmie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25547

There are no "biofilm" protocols for vitalzym that I am aware of. The maker of vitalzym suggest 4-8 capsules in between meals 2-3 times a day. My personal belief is higher doses are needed to get biofilms based on my cancer research.
hermit
Member # 44427

Vitalzym does not contain lysozymes?

Wikipedia listed lysozym as a digestive protease and further:

Lysozymes, also known as muramidase or N-acetylmuramide glycanhydrolase, are glycoside hydrolases. These are enzymes (EC 3.2.1.17) that damage bacterial cell walls by catalyzing hydrolysis of 1,4-beta-linkages between N-acetylmuramic acid and N-acetyl-D-glucosamine residues in a peptidoglycan and between N-acetyl-D-glucosamine residues in chitodextrins. Lysozyme is abundant in a number of secretions, such as tears, saliva, human milk, and mucus. It is also present in cytoplasmic granules of the polymorphonuclear neutrophils (PMNs). Large amounts of lysozyme can be found in egg white. C-type lysozymes are closely related to alpha-lactalbumin in sequence and structure, making them part of the same family. In humans, the lysozyme enzyme is encoded by the LYZ gene.[1][2]

Function
The enzyme functions by attacking peptidoglycans (found in the cell walls of bacteria, especially Gram-positive bacteria) and hydrolyzing the glycosidic bond that connects N-acetylmuramic acid with the fourth carbon atom of N-acetylglucosamine. It does this by binding to the peptidoglycan molecule in the binding site within the prominent cleft between its two domains. This causes the substrate molecule to adopt a strained conformation similar to that of the transition state.[3] According to Phillips-Mechanism, the lysozyme binds to a hexasaccharide. The lysozyme then distorts the fourth sugar in hexasaccharide (the D ring) into a half-chair conformation. In this stressed state, the glycosidic bond is easily broken.

--------------------

WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took Boluoke for a while for biofilms. I really have no idea if it helped.
Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3 molecules involved. June, 2014 issue of Discover Magazine.

http://sparkonit.com/2014/05/24/a-molecule-that-can-destroy-biofilms-and-antibiotic-resistant-bacteria/

Bb is a unique bacteria...2 cell membranes and a flexible cell wall that it breaks down when replicating.

So. I don't know if the above, targeted to "traditional" gram negative and gram positive bacteria biofilms would apply.

LuX S for "quorum sensing" is Fe dependent. Specifically Bb's transferrin protein binds Fe+3.

Lactoferrin to counter?

When they reach a "quorum" then literally light up. Figure out what Lux stands for then you will catch on.

Bioluminescence.

I wonder:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0924857908005797

http://www.needs.com/product/HWC04-FAM-04/l_General_Health

http://www.optimalhealthisyours.com/broad-spectrum-biocidal-botanical-medicines-a-safe-and-effective-treatment-strategy-addressing-biofilm-infections/

http://www.forumlyme.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=5296

"Some doctors feel that lipids feed the pathogens and biofilm"

http://www.forumlyme.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=5296 see #9

Where do those lipids come from...how about the mitochondrial membrane "donating" them when autophagy kicks in...and then IL-15 upregulates CD8 memory T cells triggering mitochondrial biogenesis...

make more mitochondria so Bb can trigger their self destruction to fuel the biofilm?

Which is why colloidal silver (which inhibits all mitochondrial complexes = powerhouses are kapoot = cell death.

And Berberine or Hypericin (IV) - complex III substrate + yellow laser, halts the mitochondrial complex III -> cell death.

We are trying to destroy the cells Bb is camped out in.

It can't survive in the blood.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

There are only a few enzymes which affect fibrin encased biofilms as far as we know and usually found in proteolytic enzymes:

Enzymes effective on biofilm:

> seaprose-s
> serraptase
> nattokinase
> lumbrokinase

Jon Baron wrote an excellent article on proteolytic enzymes:

http://jonbarron.org/article/proteolytic-enzyme-formula#.U_6mz-l0xWc

seaprose-s:

http://www.google.com/patents/WO2013170128A1?cl=en

serrapeptase

the following site trying to sell something has a pretty good description of serrapeptase:

http://www.inspirednutrition.com/bio-fibrin-enzymes-serrapeptase.html

lumbrokinase

http://www.lymediseaseresource.com/Lumbrokinase.html

nattokinase

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/food-nutrition/vitamin-supplements/nattokinase.htm

More on biofilm busting

http://www.advancedhealing.com/dr-ettingers-biofilm-protocol-for-lyme-and-gut-pathogens/

--------------------
Bob

lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

This is a good value for seaprose-s also has nattokinase in it.

http://www.aswechange.com/buy-mucoxyme-respiratory-supplement-348788&cmp=compare_shop?SourceCode=80504000030&CAWELAID=320013560000029278cagpspn=pla&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=320013560 000029766&cadevice=c&gclid=CMDEz4KOtcACFShp7AodaBgAig

--------------------
Bob

hermit
Member # 44427

I'm sure many have found this website. Still trying to read it, but wanted to share.

http://www.herbsforlyme.com/category-s/429.htm

--------------------

lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Great information on this site thanks for sharing it ! [Smile]

--------------------
Bob

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haritaki is good for biofilms. I found taking it separately was easier to handle than in triphala. Triphala is fine, but it was too strong and made me feel bad.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eight Legs Bad
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13680

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eight Legs Bad   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marnie, you wrote:

"It can't survive in the blood."

That's absolutely not true. Numerous researchers have cultured Bb from the blood, and the excellent new culture test developed by Dr Sapi and Dr MacDonald, which the US public health system is doing its best to falsely discredit, is a form of BLOOD culture test.

Elena Cook

--------------------
Justice will be ours.

Posts: 786 | From UK | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eight Legs Bad
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13680

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eight Legs Bad   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Dr. Sapi's paper on the new culture method:

"...The inclusion of key components such as modified culture media plus a unique culture environment has resulted in an improvement in the ability to cultivate this organism.

This new culture method directly addresses the issue of the low numbers of Borrelia in clinical samples by amplifying their quantity through long term culture in which Borrelia were able to thrive for as long as eight months ....Finally, this unique culture method could play an important role in providing useful diagnostic information for select Lyme disease patients who might have tested negatively by other methods." (Boldface mine)

http://www.medsci.org/v10p0362.htm#headingA4

Elena

--------------------
Justice will be ours.

Posts: 786 | From UK | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eight Legs Bad
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13680

A simple method for the detection of live Borrelia spirochaetes in human blood using classical microscopy techniques
Ivar Mysterud, Morten Motzfeldt Laane

Abstract

We have developed a simple method for the detection of live spirochaete stages in blood of patients where chronic borreliosis is suspected.

Classic techniques involving phase-contrast and fluorescence microscopy are used. The method is also quite sensitive for detecting other bacteria, protists, fungi and other organisms present in blood samples.

It is also useful for monitoring the effects of various antibiotics during treatment.

We also present a simple hypothesis for explaining the confusion generated through the interpretation of possible stages of Borrelia seen in human blood. We hypothesize that these various stages in the blood stream are derived from secondarily infected tissues and biofilms in the body with low oxygen concentrations.

Motile stages transform rapidly into cysts or sometimes penetrate other blood cells including red blood cells (RBCs).

The latter are ideal hiding places for less motile stages that take advantage of the host’s RBCs blebbing-system.

Less motile, morphologically different stages may be passively ejected in the blood plasma from the blebbing RBCs, more or less coated with the host’s membrane proteins which prevents detection by immunological methods."

I see the link to the peer-reviewed publication is not working. Perhaps we need to investigate why, especially as not long ago, Steerite vandals tried to deface the page by adding paragraphs and paragraphs of spam links (which might make some search engines flag up warnings which would deter potential readers)

Elena

--------------------
Justice will be ours.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement