LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Chronic Air Hunger

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chronic Air Hunger
Gondore
Member # 44753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gondore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had numerous symptoms over the last 10 years but about a year ago I developed what I would call chronic air hunger. What I mean by this is that when breathing I feel a restriction when inhaling and it feels that I cannot get enough air. It sometimes leads to chest tightness.

Around the same time I also developed a stiff neck, pressure behind my eyes, an off-balance feeling, and a weak feeling in my legs (though I can walk fine). I have been down all kinds of paths investigating the air hunger, including all kinds of heart and lung tests.

Most things have been ruled out at this point. I do also suffer from bad atypical reflux. I rarely get heartburn or regurgitation, but instead I get voice and throat issues from the reflux. Initially doctors thought my air hunger was being caused by the reflux so I had reflux surgery.

It has now been over five months and my air hunger has not improved (though some of my throat/voice issues have). I continue to suffer from all the symptoms listed above but by far the worst is the chronic air hunger.

After going down every other road I could think to investigate I am left with Lyme and it's co-infections. Only tests I have had done in this area are the CD57 (value of 62), C4A (value of 472), and Labcorp Western Blot (only had IgG P41 band show up as positive).

So, after all that do you think this is Babesia or one of the Lyme co-infections? I would love to hear from people on here (if they exists) that have have chronic air hunger like this.

Posts: 3 | From Fort Wayne, IN | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have chronic air hunger, but it is a symptom of Babesia and/or Protomyxzoa Rheumatica.

Babesia is a coinfection of Lyme.

Many people are also being found to have Protomyxzoa Rheumatica.

My adult nephew had it, and 3 other tick borne infections. He was treated and is doing better now.

Your symptoms sure point to lyme and coinfections, so I hope you will find a good Lyme literate practitioner.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you had your iron status checked? Anemia from any cause can cause air hunger.

But I would definitely consider babesia as a possibility. The off balance feeling is also a classic babesia symptom.

If you end up treating babesia, I would suggest a slow ramp up on meds. Otherwise you could have a herx type reaction and the air hunger could become a major problem.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like babesia. I never tested positive for it (there are several strains and most labs only test for 1), but my doc did a trial of malarone.

That's the only thing that got rid of the muscle weakness, chest tightness and difficulty breathing.

I either have a false negative test or another form of babesia, but I'm definitely improved and it was immediate.

Good luck. I hope you find a good Lyme doctor.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymedin2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have the following symptoms?

-You cannot hold your arms up for long & you have to put them down relatively quickly because they burn & feel weak? Same with legs in raised position?

-Does your body burn in various places?

-And the million dollar question. If you move too much or too fast, do you get short of breath quicker? Some times quicker than other times? OR does movement not cause any fluctuations in shortness of breath symptoms?

Posts: 2087 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Lymedin2010

Those symptoms you describe fit me to a "T" going way back, before diagnosis. Are they attributed to Babesia, too? (dx with that, along with 2 others in '97) but long before that . . .

inability to breathe with any movement at all . . . most puzzling, though:

I recall being at K-Mart, holding one 4-pack of toilet paper standing in a line of just about 3 people. Maybe it was a six pack of TP, it required me to hug it but not a jumbo pack, just a regular large one, anyone should have been able to manage with one hand.

It was horrendous pain, holding the TP for even a short time. 1979. No doctor would help - over the years for this muscle problem.

years before that, even . . . Roller skating, ice skating, even back in college - tried each once with friends . . . my leg muscles were on fire and could not make any headway, although I'd done this in my youth.

This affirmed my decision not to even think about having kids as I knew I could not even hold a baby at all and, in retrospect, I know now that any child would have been very ill, too, without adequate medical care.

I think I somehow new that. But what a shame, all the way around. This is likely not the only time such happened / happens for those who can't get proper medical assessment / care for tick borne infections.

It would be 1997 when finally diagnosed . . . 18 years after that. And, even then no treatment allowed as the MDs in my state would not believe a trio of positive IGenex tests. One doctor who did sort of believe it would not prescribe mepron, though, "it's just to expensive" he told me. I was on my own, totally, to grasp at straws.

Airports, where they ask you to hold your arms up for a wand check, I could not keep them up and they yelled at me, thinking I was up to some evil deed.

Etc. I've never read about this particular symptom but it is sure nice to piece together some of the more poignant times that made it very clear something was very, very wrong but no one believed me. the pain, burning from hold up arms even for a short time is just beyond words. Who would have ever thought?
-

[ 10-07-2014, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Proto (FL1953).

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Catgirl, in response to the original poster or the previous one?
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymedin2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is best to look to people who were ONLY affected by the organism in question for answers & I think that is where we get answers like babesia, FL1953, & Mycoplasma P & it may just be that or that too.

I have an explanation for all this from my blood microscopy observation & it will be more sinister than one would expect. I am still working on finalizing the video & I will post. I will touch on body pains & shortness of breath as well.

I also have clues from another Lymie that has it worst than I do & I will be looking at her blood & when it all comes together it will be beautiful. Stay tuned.

Posts: 2087 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good info about Protomyxzoa Rheumatica from
Dr C:

http://protomyxzoa.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Protomyxzoa_rheumatica.pdf

--------------------

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, Keebler, my post was in response to Gondore's post, not yours (sorry to hear you went through all that). [Smile]

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gondore
Member # 44753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gondore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
seibertneurolyme - I have had iron status checked and this is not the issue. Thank you for the input though.

Judie - Are you saying you did one round of malarone and the symptoms significantly decreased?

Lymedin2010 - No, none of those things seem to apply to me.

Posts: 3 | From Fort Wayne, IN | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gondore
Member # 44753

Lets assume this is babesia or one of the other co-infections, how should I proceed. I am scheduled to see an LLMD but couldn't get in until April! Because this is so far off and the air hunger is having a very significant impact on my life I would like to be as proactive as possible. I am going to order the Igenex testing (have a functional doc who will sign) and I have been trying Sida Acuta and Arteminisin. Is there anything else at all that I can do? Should I ask my doctor to prescribe some trial meds to see if I herx and if so what meds?
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Gondore,

Scott Forsgren, aka Better Health Guy, goes to many conferences and then posts summaries of the information presented, on his website.

If you go to his site and search for Babesia, Protomyxzoa Rheumatica, air hunger, etc, you should be able to find information from practitioners about these infections and treatment options.

There is tons of info on his site.

http://www.betterhealthguy.com/

--------------------

TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are willing to travel to the Washington, D.C. area, there is a lyme doctor who can see you in a few weeks.

Let me know if you want the name by sending me a private message. Just click on the envelope icon above my post.

Getting Igenex testing for lyme and all coinfections is a good idea.

If you want to ask your doctor to give you some babesiosis meds, you can read the Burrascano Lyme Treatment Guidelines to see what he recommends for treating babesiosis.

The link is here:

http://www.ilads.org/lyme/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

The babs discussion starts on page 22 and his suggested treatment is on page 24.

Here is another website that tells how to treat babs:

http://www.lymebook.com/antibiotic-treatment-for-babesia-bartonella-ehrlichia-co-infections

I will be surprised if a non-lyme doctor will precribe this treatment for you.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement