LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Pantoprazole/Protonix Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pantoprazole/Protonix Question
jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwick25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am 5 days in to using Pantoprazole to treat what my doctor (and an ENT) thinks might be a silent acid reflux issue.

I was chatting with someone on these boards who suggested I post this question.

Is this drug ok to take when you have Lyme Disease?

I've heard some say that it can cause issues.

I'm currently in remission and do not want to risk my health over this.

Also, since starting it, I've been nauseous every morning and it's getting more intense. I'm also using the bathroom a lot in the morning.

The pharmacist advised that these can be side effects and that it's ok to stop taking the pills for now to see if I start to feel better.

I hate this. I go to the doctor for a throat issue....and am now dealing with a stomach issue. [Frown]

I could swear this is the drug I took back in 2008 when doxycycline was giving me major heartburn and indigestion.

I never had a problem with it (or was too sick from the Lyme to notice).

I have no idea what would even be causing stomach acid as I've never had this issue before.

Any advice or suggestions? I'd really love some feedback and to hear your opinions and experiences.

Thanks so much!

Posts: 711 | From Bucks County, PA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 41238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoiph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have reason to have concerns about this class of drugs:

http://chriskresser.com/fda-sounds-alarm-on-dangers-of-antacid-drugs

http://www.worstpills.org/results.cfm?drug_id=748

Also, be aware that LOW stomach acid can actually cause similar symptoms...

Posts: 1880 | From Earth | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwick25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was going to ask my doctor about LOW stomach acid during my follow up visit.

It's weird because I've been sticking to the candida diet as I recently treated an overgrowth.

I could swear I had heard that when you have too little stomach acid, that causes issues as well.

It's like always trying to figure out a puzzle. [Smile]

Posts: 711 | From Bucks County, PA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

Just read the articles that you posted....very interesting....and infuriating.

I need to figure out if I have high acid or low acid and move forward accordingly.

I drink lemon water most mornings, which I thought is helpful.

Funny thing...I drank lemon water once daily for weeks and weeks. Then stopped. That's when the problem seems to have started.

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoiph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't be surprised if your doctor isn't aware of the "low" stomach acid issues causing similar symptoms.

You can research this yourself...there are many articles on the subject:

http://chriskresser.com/what-everybody-ought-to-know-but-doesnt-about-heartburn-gerd

http://www.sott.net/article/266284-Natural-solutions-to-increase-stomach-acid-and-improve-digestion

In my case, I was already infected and symptomatic with Lyme (but didn't have a diagnosis yet), and very reluctantly, I took this drug due to severe stomach pain and pressure from my PCP.

The Lyme completely overwhelmed my system almost immediately afterward. It was the beginning of an 8 year long nightmare (which I am happy to say I am now cured of).

I believe the lack of stomach acid allowed the bacteria and other pathogens to gain a stronger foothold...and my body could not defend itself after that.

Posts: 1880 | From Earth | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Also, consider getting checked for h.pylori...
Phoiph
Member # 41238

If it really turns out to be too much acid, then try DGL lozenges.

Either way, Slippery Elm powder is anti-inflammatory and also very soothing to the digestive tract...

jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

Thank you so much for this great advice!

I'm so glad to hear that you're doing well. [Smile]

I'm barely able to eat today the nausea is so bad. But no pill today....or tomorrow....as I want to see if it makes a positive difference.

I don't want to stay on this at all.

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Also good probiotics are essential...
jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

I take Ortho Biotic.....not sure if it's a great one. My LLMD has them.
jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

Not sure what is going on, but I'll be calling the doctor this afternoon.

Every morning, I'm nauseated for a handful of hours.

I have to use the bathroom between 1-3 times during those hours.

Then, once it passes, it's gone for the rest of the day.

I had a teeny bit of nausea each morning before getting out of bed that lasted only a minute or two. That was it.

Now, ever since starting and then stopping the Pantoprazole, I am dealing with this stomach thing every day.

Grrrrr....!!!

lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yrs ago when i was supermom working, raising kids etc with undx lyme a gi doc gave me reflux meds and said i would get cancer if i didnt take them. I did ask him directly what does stomach acid do?will i be ok without it and he assured me i would

Big mistake. I didnt research on my own back then. I trusted docs. I am still hooked on the reflux meds. Have tried to stop many times. I know they are making it harder to get better. And the reflux continued to get worse. Im.moving toward surgery and i have heard even.that doesnt helpmuch

I did find some naturl ways of desling with reflux online.eating hlfan apple.or a teaspoon.of good honey after a meal often comes the burning down for me. It might work better if the reflux isnt s bad as mine. Good luck

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

So sorry that you have to deal with this, lpkayak.

I can only imagine how frustrating that must be!

I am just so angry right now because I had no stomach issue. It was my throat.

And I know that acid rising up can irritate and inflame the throat.

But the point is I had no stomach problems. I can't image that only 5 days of the medication could have done this.....but maybe it did?

I've been off for 2 or 3 days and still dealing with symptoms.

I'm just confused....which I think is something most of us go through. We hear different things from different doctors and don't know who to trust.

I'm scared now that this might have triggered a new - ongoing - problem. The last thing I need!

I thought maybe it was a coincidence that the stomach issues started when they did. But I just can't ignore that when I started the pantoprazole, things fired up. [Frown]

lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had no stimach problems either. I had burning in bottom of throat and he said if i felt burning it would turn to c a ncer so i had to stop it

More recently i have nausea, little cough and regurgitation

I often have to sleep in chair now

Im afrid of the surgery...maybe since you were on it a short time damage is minimal

I hate drugs. I refused statins for years. Then i took lowest dose
for six months and ended up in walker...couldnt walk

--------------------

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on a PPI for nearly 14 yrs. I hate it and I think those drugs are very harmful to the body. They eat your bones and make it EASY for candida and c.diff to flourish. Also makes it easier for SIBO to become a problem.

I've tried several times to get off of them. My current drug is Nexium.

I am spilling out about 5-10 beads from the capsule every morning. I know someone who got off of it by using this method. VERY VERY slowly reduce the drug so that you do not get the rebound acid.

Then I will transition to Zantac or Pepcid, if need be.

I may not be successful, but I need to try. My doctor fully supports this.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why did you stop the lemon water? It seems that's what lead to your initial symptom that got you put on the PPI, that has now caused problems...

If I were you, I'd restart the lemon water and see if that helps...

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

Razzle - So funny you mention this!

I told my husband that the timing of stopping the lemon water seemed a little suspect.

I used to drink one mug each morning.

Then, I started to have mild nausea in the morning when dealing with - and treating - candida.

So, instead of lemon water in the morning which is harsher on my stomach......

....I would have a mug of peppermint tea to ease the nausea.

It was weeks of no lemon water.

I definitely need to try that again.

However, before drinking lemon water, I had no acid issues...???

Last night, I was up at 2AM and barely slept since.

I have a message to call the doctor back this morning.

I think I'll also call my LLMD to ask his advice.

Lymtoo & lykayak: I really hope you find some relief. It's amazing how we are just put on these drugs that seem to negatively affect so many people.

Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peppermint can cause acid reflux because it can loosen the lower esophageal sphincter. Try DGL to correct this issue, and omit the peppermint.

If you need something for nausea, enteric coated peppermint may be less likely to cause reflux. Or you can try ginger (capsules or tea).

Other options:

Acupuncture or Acupressure wrist bands

Homeopathy:

Bryonia (nausea when first wake up in the morning)

Nux V. (general gut discomfort - nausea, indigestion, heartburn, diarrhea, etc. - the "Pepto-Bismol" of homeopathy)

Pulsatilla (hormonal nausea)

Ipecac (violent/severe nausea)

Lycopodium (indigestion/heartburn, gas)

I hope this helps...take care,

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

This helps a lot....thank you!

I have generic Zofran in the house (never took one) and heard that it's great for nausea.

I have the Pepto as well.

My appointment with a GI doc isn't until Thursday, so I hope this eases up before then.

I can't take night after night like last night.

lpkayak
Member # 5230

I thought you took ipecac if you ate something poisonous and had to make yourself vomit

Some of those other tips might help me...the apple i take is so simple but really does work!

--------------------

jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

I'm definitely going to pick up some apples. [Smile]

So half an apple after a meal......sounds perfect.

Razzle
Member # 30398

The Ipecac I'm talking about in my above post is Homeopathic, NOT the drug store syrup!!!

Zofran is great for nausea. The most common side effects are drowsiness, headache, dizziness, dry mouth.

Ginger Root does the exact same thing in the body as Zofran, without the side-effects. I'm trying to transition myself from Zofran to Ginger.

--------------------
-Razzle

jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

I've gotten into the habit of having fresh ginger root in the house. I love adding it to tea, etc.

I wonder how much you would have to use to get the same effects of Zofran? (or come close anyway)

Razzle
Member # 30398

I don't know - my guess is it would be different depending on absorption, how the ginger is prepared (raw vs. tincture vs. tea vs. cooked with food, etc.), metabolism of the compounds in ginger, etc.

Right now, because of how sensitive my stomach is (Gastroparesis flareup), I'm using a ginger candy (Reed's Ginger Chews). I hope to eventually transition to home-made tea and cooking with organic ginger root.

--------------------
-Razzle

jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

I'll have to check those out (ginger chews).

It would be nice to have something that I can have on the go.

I hope your flare up calms down for you soon!

I see the GI doc later this week. I actually can't wait to go as I hope to be on my way to getting some answers.

I've noted down a bunch of things to ask the doctor about (h. pylori, low blood sugar, celiac, low acid levels, etc.).

Razzle
Member # 30398

Not many GI doctors know much about these things. I hope the doctor you are seeing is knowledgeable about these things...

The ginger chews are high in sugar, which we aren't supposed to eat when we have Lyme. If I could swallow pills, I'd take ginger root in capsules - no sugar, and gives a more concentrated dose of ginger than the candy.

More info about h. Pylori:
http://www.mygutsy.com/is-h-pylori-the-cause-of-allergies-brain-fog-hypothyroid-autoimmune-disorders-adrenal-fatigue/

Low blood sugar - may be related to subclinical adrenal fatigue. The diet for low blood sugar issues is as follows:

Avoid sugar (cane/beet sugar, honey, molasses, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, fructose, dextrose, lactose, maple syrup, etc.) & artificial sweeteners.

Eat a protein containing snack every 2 hours between meals. Make sure to eat plenty of protein in each meal, also.

If you have to have something sweet, try low-sugar fruits (sour apples, blueberries, etc.). The fiber in the fruits helps slow down the absorption of the sugars naturally occurring in the fruits.

Also, it is good to eat a protein and/or fat with the fruit, such as almond butter or a small handful of nuts, to help slow down the absorption of the sugars in the fruit.

Celiac Disease - I'd encourage you to check out http://www.theglutenfile.com for more info about Celiac and non-Celiac forms of gluten intolerance.

Testing for Non-Celiac gluten intolerance/sensitivity can be done through http://www.enterolab.com (I have no financial connection with this website/lab, just am a happy customer).

I hope this info is helpful...take care,

--------------------
-Razzle

jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

Wow.....thank you Razzle!

This is awesome! I'll be checking out the links tonight. [Smile]

jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

Just an update.....

The GI doc is great and is testing me for h. pylori and parasites (among other things).

I was so happy because he did not just assume I have acid reflux and put me back on one of those drugs.

He said he wants to test to actually determine the problem, then go from there.

When I told him I had seen and ENT, he said that many (not all, of course) ENTs tend to chalk things up to acid reflux - which is common - but isn't always the problem.

Needless to say, I was SO happy about this.

Bloodwork, stool sample testing and an endoscopy are next. At least I'll know what's going on after all that.

Hope you're all as well as can be! [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement