LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » berberine question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: berberine question
linky123
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My blood sugar has been borderline lately and I have read studies about berberine claiming it to be as effective as metformin.

I've also read it's effective against tinnitus.

There are some articles out there that say berberine can be toxic, bad for the liver and pancreas, and can cause muscle atrophy as well.

Wanted to try it, but not sure about the side effects.

Anyone know about this and what are your experiences with it.

Thanks.

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=121034;p=0

BERBERINE – LINKS SET
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
No side effects that I could tell, none at all.

However, certain "properties" are to be considered as you start it. Frequent urination at first, perhaps some adjustment time.

It's neither sedating nor overly stimulating but I find it best to not take it too close to bedtime as it might be a little bit stimulating, I wonder, when I've done that right before bed.

Berberine has be the best helper to me. Without a doubt. Absolutely. The best.

I had to go to nearly one single supplement some time ago (although I may add in one or two others - and do need more - but food comes first).

The less expensive brand, GoodState (just the extract), does not seem to calm tinnitus as much as the one from Tahoma Clinic (which has a combination of extract and raw herb) -- but it can take a couple months.

Berberine has helped me in so many ways. I highly recommend it.

I no longer require distance glasses at all. Within a very short time on GoodState's Berberine, my glasses no longer worked when I'd go to put them on to watch TV.

All of the sudden, I could even read subtitles without glasses after decades of needing them (although I never wore distance glasses other than when out in a car or for TV -- the frames through me off balance but my vision could muddle by okay if I didn't have to have fine tuning).

I do, however, still require reading glasses after about 30 seconds for actual books, etc. but I've not had new lenses in over 15 years in that dept.

Inflammation was GREATLY diminished as was pain after about a week on it. The first week, urine flow was frequent -- and drinking water is vital, so be sure to get enough.

MARNIE gets all the thanks on this one, for she provided a million excellent links some time ago and personally drew my attention to it (so thoughtful of her to contact me, thinking it might be of use). You can see many of Marnie's links in the set above.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, Keebler [Smile]

How much do you take? And do you, by any chance, have blood sugar issues?

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Yes, I have blood sugar issues. This helps. But it does not tend to drop the hypoglycemia rock.

Not diagnosed as diabetic, but "pre" range for several concurrent tests over time. And sometimes, so low, it was dangerous (try 60, no, do not!). Hypo was really more of a problem with severe dropping & fainting.

Had been up around 120 - 130 or so (fasting blood from labs).

This seems to help keep it down around 100 prior to a meal and between 100 - 120 two hours later (glucose meter). Considering the meal prior, that range was appropriate.

Testing is spotty for me, though (I no longer have a glucose meter so just use a friend's now and then), but I can tell by how I feel that it's certainly not dropping me like a rock. And the literature seems to support that it's more adaptogenic in that regard.

I can take it on an empty stomach and do just fine. At first when staring this, and always in the morning, though, best with a meal soon afterward.

I take 6 - 8 capsules a day of the Tahoma Clinic brand (mostly) and intersperse with GoodState.

I take two capsules 3 - 4 times a day, though, to keep up the level in my body. In the articles in the set, you will see that it requires frequent dosing to keep a good level and get where it needs to go. At least every 8 hours is needed.

I'm taking this as my anti-microbial. Sometimes, I'll add andrographis at night (as it's just too sedating for day use for me).
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
linky,

you have likely seen this yet, just in case, because tinnitus is so complex, some of the variables here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links - including HYPERACUSIS
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Forgot: the main help this is for me is as anti-seizure. So happy for that. Doing a "Happy Dance" (à la Pharrell).

[And also to help lessen joint & full body deep pain, after the first week on this, it was a very nice surprise.]

For me, startles are the seizure trigger and this also lessens startles that may not have tripped the seizure switch but may have still sent me to the ceiling. Such as when the oven dings that it's reached desired temperature or when the phone rings.

I noticed this effect on my own. Later, I see that there is some medical literature that speaks to this, too. Nice to see that.

It's not quite foolproof as the phone of a UPS delivery guy sent me flying last month . . . but still, it's the best help I've had in this regard and it's not at all sedating (happy, happy about that).

Light also seems to be a bit easier to tolerate, even enjoy. I used to have to hide in my "closet den" (door is off but still, can't see out the windows). I'm here mostly to buffer all the outside noise that is so oppressive . . . but also the light.

I find myself (when it's not noisy outside) much more wanting to be out of this cave and into my bright & cheery living room with good sun exposure.

Still can't actually sit on my deck though. Sun light, actually, being IN it, is sort of like kryptonite to my eyes.

Sadly, though, while taming the startles and I don't "go flying" nearly as often, it has not at all helped to lessen hyperacusis. Sound hurts just as much as ever. But then that's a stronger kryptonite to figure out in my case.

And, while I sing its praises, it would be unrealistic of me to think that Berberine, alone could ever be enough to tackle this whole enchilada. But budgets are what they are.

good luck
-

[ 03-26-2015, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
If you take any Rx be sure to discuss with your doctor. I take zero Rx (other than NatureThroid) so I've never had to figure that out.

http://www.amazon.com/forum/health?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1EO24KZG65FCB&cdThread=Tx2VXO7WCWPYZ7K

Amazon - BERBERINE - DISCUSSION posts, not reviews

- 106 comments - some helpful or interesting tidbits here (although there are some just wanting to color all who take herbs as not smart . . . it is interesting to see some who say it's helped with blood sugar issues & even that their doctor may have been impressed).

of course, see all the medical abstracts here, too:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Berberine

PubMed Search for:

Berberine - 3547 abstracts

you can also cross search with any symptom or body organ, function, condition such as:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Berberine%2C+glucose

Berberine, glucose - 221 abstracts

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Berberine%2C+brain

Berberine, brain - 262 abstracts
-

linky123
Member # 19974

Thanks again for this.

My tinnitus is definiteley aggravated by the computer and the cell phone - emfs have always been a problem for me.

So frustrating, because I need to do the research, but it just makes it so much worse.

Your blood sugar levels are almost identical to mine. Sure would like to get a hold of it without the mds.

Mine dropped to 43 the other day, nearly scared me to death.

The info I've read online is impressive, as several studies say it is comparable to metformin.

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
the most important thing if you are going to have a cell though, is to not have in in your bedroom (nor the charger) or near you when you are not actually on it. Keep it as far from your body as possible as much as possible.

land line phones are better for our brains but I also realize that your phone is likely your computer, too?

And, my computer does irritate tinnitus, too. It's an old one and noisy more in vertigo inducing & unsettling vibration to my gut than actual loud sound (though as quiet as it could be made to be & a treasured gift from friends).

And to learn, one does need the tools that are accessible to them, so . . . just try to limit when you can and keep your distance when you can.

Still . . . I sure do dream of that little cabin in the woods to be totally unplugged and enjoy the stars at night and songs around the campfire. My computer is, far too often, my window to the world, my research library and my campfire connection (in a very odd way).

Take care.
-

linky123
Member # 19974

Yes, my computer and phone are my window to the world too, and now I am having to give them up for the most part.

Hard to be so isolated. [Frown]

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement